Cisco Systems

Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Milpitas, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Cisco Systems in May 2011.

Interview Details – 2 rounds phone interview. On site has 2 rounds. Each interview is half an hour. Questions from big kettle endian to driving programming and troubleshooting. Not very tricky and no brain tricks. Director will interview engineers as last round. Usually take 2-3 days to have response.

Interview Question – Do you want to be a manager   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Added 20 percent sign on bonus

Program Manager Interview

Program Manager
Milpitas, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Cisco Systems in August 2011.

Interview Details – Work as a contractor at Cisco and have interviewed for 6 roles in the past 10 years. Each contract has been approx 2 years. Hiring process for contractors is fairly easy.

Interview Question – Why are you not full time at Cisco.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Cisco had a freeze on GC applications at the time.
I was being sponsored by my contracting vendor so stayed with them.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Milpitas, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Cisco Systems.

Interview Details – It went very well They asked me question on Core Java, Spring, Struts, Web services (SOAP, REST). some Network related query i.e. SNMP protocal etc.

Interview Question – All network related question based on SNMP protocal   Answer Question

Network Administrator Interview

Network Administrator
Milpitas, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Cisco Systems.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter who obtained my resume online. After a quick phone screening, I was set up for an in person interview. I was interviewed by a four person team who asked some background questions and a bunch of networking and OS specific technical questions. I then interviewed with their manager who asked mostly questions pertaining to my background and life outside of work. Received an offer the day after the interview.

Interview Question – How do you configure a static route on a Cisco iOS device?   View Answers (2)

Reason for Declining – Offer was declined because the contract company only offered slightly better pay than what I currently make, but no benefits. I currently have Health, Vision, Dental, Life, 401K, PTO, and training reimbursement. I couldn't justify loosing those benefits for just a bit more money, and they didn't want to renegotiate pay. It would have been a net loss on my end.

Customer Support Engineer Interview

Customer Support Engineer
Milpitas, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cisco Systems in January 2008.

Interview Details – Multiple interviews during a single day, all with hiring manager and their direct reports. Emphasis was more on being a good fit, having the right interpersonal skills and desire to learn, enthusiasm about the technology than actual current experience (though that is of course a huge plus.) People were very personable during the interviews, and they felt more like discussions over a cup of coffee than interrogations.

Interview Question – What is the accomplishment at a previous position you were most proud of? What was your biggest failure at this same company, and how would you change to turn that failure into a positive experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was offered top salary for my experience and position. I did not negotiate further as the compensation was higher than my expectations.

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
Milpitas, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cisco Systems in March 2008.

Interview Details – overall interview is easy, people are very friendly and they just want to know how you'd do as a team

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – negotiate a good salary in the beginning as it gets tougher to get promotions

Software Developer Intern Interview

Software Developer Intern
Milpitas, CA

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cisco Systems in May 2011.

Interview Details – I was able to get an interview through a contact friend of mine. I was applying for a software developer internship. The first round was just basics of what I did, what I've learned, and how I can apply myself. The second and third rounds were coding questions that focused on OOP, algorithms, and code efficiency. Know them and you'll do fine.

Interview Question – What's your favorite data structure?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Milpitas, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Cisco Systems in February 2012.

Interview Details – My friend submiited my resume. 2 weeks later, A recruter called me and talked for 20 minutes. He said someone would contact me in one week. I am still waiting.

Interview Question – In general, how does an IP stack process a received packet?   View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager
Milpitas, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cisco Systems in October 2010.

Interview Details – Had an initial phone screen that was very much like a consulting interview (market sizing, etc). 30 days later I was contacted again to interview for a different position. Only one round with 5 interviews including sales, engineering, but mostly product managers. One group interview where I presented a business problem to the PM leadership. The interview questions consisted of grilling on the product domain I would be working in (even though I had little background in it -- good thing i did my research), brainteasers (what's the TAM for dryers in the US), and how to sell questions ("sell me something in the room").

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – difficult. i had to refuse to get a modest pay increase

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Milpitas, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Cisco Systems in October 2009.

Interview Details – Cisco Recruiter called me that she is trying to fill a position for past several months and she thinks my profile on LinkedIn is perfect fit. I ask her to send job description. When she did and I reviewed, I said it is not perfect fit. She said, it is match - she suggested me to speak to Tech Leader. I spoke to Tech Leader and he did a phone screen as well. Then, after a week or so, I went for an in-person interview with 4 engineers... for about 4 hrs. Then, after another week, there was another in-person interview with 2 more engineers, 2 directors. Then, they made me an offer - negotiation, reference checks etc took another 2 weeks.

Interview Question – How would you design a thread pool in Java?
Why do you need threads?
How do you detect stale db connections?
Can you do code review of this class from my code? (Interviewer shared code)
Design for several readers reading from queue and several writers writing into it
Details on how a web-app is developed
What happens end to end when user types a URL to view books on Amazon.com
Singleton - how to write for delayed instantiation but also thread safety
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Their base salaries are usually lesser than start-ups. Don't compare base salaries alone and compare total package. I asked for a sign-on bonus as they mentioned they can't go higher in base salary. They offered 10k lower than what I asked but, gave that in sign-on bonus.
Bonus is big part of Cisco package. Every year employees get bonus based on their grade. E.g. a grade 10 employee has 15% as bonus target. Now, employees get anywhere from 0% to 300% of their bonus target, based on performance. i.e. if an extremely well performing grade 10 employee is there - he can get up to 45% of base salary bonus and poorly performing employee can get only 0%. So, there's reward to being good employee at Cisco, not just hard working but collaborative.
So, don't overlook bonus part when you get offer.

Worked for Cisco Systems? Contribute to the Community!