Cisco Systems Product Manager Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Jun 2, 2014
10 interviews

10 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Product Manager Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Cisco Systems.

It was a very simple process. I met and talked with 7 people in 2 divisions and covered everything from previous experience to university studies, etc. The interviewer called me back within 2 hours of leaving the building and let me know I had an offer. That was several years ago, though, and the company was behaving more like a startup than a big company. Nowadays, the interview process is much slower and it takes much longer to extend offers, etc.

Other Interview Reviews for Cisco Systems

Product Manager Interview

Phone interview with the hiring manager. Then an in-person interview with the team and the manager followed by an interview with the manager's manager. This is followed by the HR interview for salary and other such aspects such as relocation (if needed). This takes time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Richardson, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richardson, TX

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Cisco Systems in April 2010.

Hiring was in the 2000 gogo days. Cisco's interview process is 360, where at least 5 individual staff, whom you partner or work with or for must approve of you. Once completed the hiring manager has veto power. For me I was hired and offered a hiring letter the same day.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions asked, as I'm an expert in my field in which Cisco had just started to build - optical. However there were tranport questions like: What's the bit tax for ATM? What's PMD?   View Answer
    Pretty straight forward. Cisco salary are well within the top rankings.

Product Manager Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Cisco Systems.

I did not have to interview for this position. It was given to me based on prior relationship with the hiring manager.

Interview Questions
    Internal transfers are not eligible for salary increases. However, my boss made me whole at the next opportunity.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Cisco Systems in November 2011.

They came to our campus to recruit MBA grads for Product Management positions. There was one interview (unlike the usual 2 back-to-back interviews) that lasted for 1 hour. The conversation was pretty relaxed, but not unofficial. The questions were: Why Cisco? What are the biggest Cisco competitors? Challenges? Case: Cisco wants to expand in China, what do you recommend?
    Basically, they need someone with a tech background - even for marketing positions, as the products are very complex from a technical point of view. Besides that they need you to be able to think in a structured manner and be aware of the current developments/trends (i.e. the Cloud, Virtualization, BYOD, etc). The more you know about Juniper, Huawei, Riverbed, HP - the better.
    After about two weeks they contact you and if you were chosen, invite to an interview in the company. Then it's 2 to 3 more interviews with your future boss and other related people. About 3-4 days after that you get a final decision and if you were chosen, start a negotiating process.
    In general, all the people are nice, they don't try to see how you operate under pressure/hunger/other pervert tactics that I heard from people from other companies.

Interview Questions
    • Who are Cisco's most important rivals?
      The question is a bit tricky since you have to understand which group the interviewer comes from. Since Cisco competes on so many fronts, the rivals are almost everybody - Microsoft, IBM, Google, HP, Dell, VMWare, Alcatel-Lucent, etc. However you should focus on those which are most important to the interviewer. Bonus points will be given if you can actually explain why the firms you chose to talk about are more relevant competitors to this business unit than others.
        View Answer
    They are pretty flexible, especially on the relocation/signing bonus side.
    Overall the negotiation process is performed offline: you're being offered X. You say "Let me think and call you back". You call back, ask for Y, they say "Let us think and call you back". This ping pong lasts for some 3-4 times until you reach a point when they say "this is our final offer". I didn't go beyond that, but I guess it won't hurt to try.
    As a result of my negotiation, I succeeded to increase:
    1. My base salary by $5,000
    2. My relocation/signing bonus by $10,000

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Cisco Systems in May 2012.

Everything worked out very quickly and very well. It seemed like a standard interview process consisting of a couple of phone screenings and a 1:1 interview. As soon as I spoke with the hiring manager, he was impressed enough to send me along to his manager the same day. The next day I was made an offer.

Interview Questions
    • They were pretty standard questions. I don't remember anything difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Milpitas, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milpitas, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cisco Systems in October 2010.

Had an initial phone screen that was very much like a consulting interview (market sizing, etc). 30 days later I was contacted again to interview for a different position. Only one round with 5 interviews including sales, engineering, but mostly product managers. One group interview where I presented a business problem to the PM leadership. The interview questions consisted of grilling on the product domain I would be working in (even though I had little background in it -- good thing i did my research), brainteasers (what's the TAM for dryers in the US), and how to sell questions ("sell me something in the room").

Interview Questions
    difficult. i had to refuse to get a modest pay increase

Anonymous Employee  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I interviewed in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Cisco Systems in March 2010.

Had face-to-face interview with the hiring manager that consisted of an informational overview of the department and the position. The second half of the interview with the hiring manager consisted of classic behavioral questions. It took several weeks for the hiring manager to decide on the candidate to make the offer to.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a challenging situation where you had to convince people to do things that they weren't interested in contributing to   Answer Question
    • How do you prioritize market requirements and so forth.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cisco Systems in December 2009.

Internal interview process. started with employee referral. several interviews with team-mates & hiring manager. Seemed that they had someone else in mind for the job & asked me to apply for a different position & then they came back a few weeks later & offered this job to me again. Appears to be a bit of a shell game played about where to put people, rather than a formal interviewing process.

Interview Questions
    Able to negotiate telecommuting several days of the week

Product Manager Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cisco Systems in March 2010.

Initial phone interview with recruiter from a professional services firm.

Interviewed with hiring manager the following week. About an hour and very straight forward. Mostly wanted further details about work history and experience.

Second round interviews with other managers a week and a half later. Non-technical questions. Scheduled for 90 minutes, but went 3 hours. They didn't know how the open position would be fully defined and all had slightly different perspectives about the role. Seemed as if there had been a rush to just open a req before the budget was reallocated. Otherwise, very interesting new product/service concept stretching outside of Cisco's previous area of expertise.

Interview Questions
    • How would you go about doing something that you have no training or experience with?   Answer Question

Worked for Cisco Systems? Contribute to the Community!