Cisco Systems

Average Difficulty
27 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Raleigh, NC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Cisco Systems in March 2014.

Interview Details – Found out about position through word of mouth from former manager. Recommendations from current and former Cisco employees is key since cultural fit is very, very important for new hires. Basic competency - ability to do the job - can be discovered pretty quickly. What cannot, and what is very important at Cisco, is "Can I work with this person?" You don't get in the door if you don't already have impressive accomplishments, grades, or recommendations. That fulfills the baseline expectation for candidates. After that it comes down to cultural and team fit.

Negotiation Details – Straightforward, matter of fact. I knew the budget for the position going in and simply worked within that.

Interviewed at Cisco Systems

Interview Details – Internally hired from another area of the company. There were no unexpected or unusual questions posed. It was more difficult coming into the company from outside since there was more than one interview in that process.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected.   Answer Question

San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cisco Systems in December 2010.

Interview Details – I was initially interviewed by the HR person, then the manager, then the whole management team (about 6 people).

Interview Question – I didn't find any of the questions particularly difficult.   Answer Question

San Jose, CA

I applied through a staffing agency and interviewed at Cisco Systems.

Interview Details – phone screen and one visit on site

Interview Question – whether I really wanted to do this kind of work??   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I got what I asked for

Milpitas, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Cisco Systems in August 2011.

Interview Details – Work as a contractor at Cisco and have interviewed for 6 roles in the past 10 years. Each contract has been approx 2 years. Hiring process for contractors is fairly easy.

Interview Question – Why are you not full time at Cisco.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Cisco had a freeze on GC applications at the time.
I was being sponsored by my contracting vendor so stayed with them.

Interview Details – Was interviewed by 8 people

Interview Question – So why would a customer care about what you do?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – To the company's credit, it surprisingly took under a month. But that was close to 10 years ago, I have seen the process for others really start to drag out.

Seattle, WA

I applied through other source - interviewed at Cisco Systems in February 2009.

Interview Details – Good process for employees coming in through an acquisition.

Interview Question – After working for a small company, how do you feel now about working for a large company?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Came over at existing salary from acquired company.

Raleigh, NC

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cisco Systems in June 2013.

Interview Details – Overall I was impressed with the interview process. Everyone I spoke with-- some involved in this process, some not--spoke quite highly of Cisco and their corporate culture. I found the interviewers to be knowledgeable and well spoken. Questions were straight forward and directed at finding out my qualifications in more detail. After applying on the Cisco job board, I received a request to answer seven job-related questions. One week later I conducted my first phone interview, followed one week later by two phone interviews on the same day. One frustration was that each interviewer had one or more recruiters which added a bit of confusion, especially when they changed in the middle of coordinating a date.

Interview Question – Tell me about a complex challenge you encountered and the process/tools you utilized to overcome it.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Cisco Systems

Interview Details – It starts with phone interview to screen. Then you will talk with 4-5 team members. Be prepared to have WebEx meeting with video.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you worked with someone who had a different working style than you.   Answer Question

Program Manager

I applied through other source and interviewed at Cisco Systems.

Interview Details – Met with a couple of different hiring managers who were in competition to hire me. This was back in the days of the dot com boom. Interview questions were behavioral-based but also included asking for my opinion on strategic business decisions.

Worked for Cisco Systems? Contribute to the Community!