Cisco Systems Interview Questions & Reviews in Research Triangle Park, NC

3.2

45 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cisco Systems in March 2011.

As a computer science major after my sophomore year, I was looking for an internship. Someone mentioned Cisco and I sent an email to them along with my resume. I was Interviewed jointly by two software engineers over the phone. Was asked about my experience with networking and what I knew about networking. I was asked about my coursework at my university and what language(s) I preferred. I was given a few scenarios where a network was behaving weird and was asked what steps I would take to figure out the cause of the problem and how I would fix it. Since the engineers worked primarily with test automation, the questions were centered around trying to figure my methodology in finding out the cause of problems and rectifying them. They were satisfied with my responses and my overall approach to problem solving. I was scheduled to interview with the hiring manager the next day or two.

I couple days later the manager that I would be working for gave me a call to get a better idea about me and current knowledge base. It was a more relaxed interview, mostly to see if I was personable and easy to get along with, and if I would be a good fit for his team. That went well also.

My recruiter sent me an email within the next couple days informing me that they were extending an offer to work for them over the summer as a software engineering intern. Overall a great first-time experience.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about MTU? Please explain what it does and/or how it is used to the best of your knowledge.   Answer Question
    As an intern, there are no negotiations. Undergrad engineering interns receive $20/hr (full time 40 hrs/week)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC

I interviewed in-person. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Cisco Systems.

Team members conduct phone interview and then some of the team members will meet and interview the candidate on site. Team members have more say than the management in hiring a candidate.

No negotiation when I got hired.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cisco Systems in December 2011.

I had two rounds of phone interviews followed by a multi-stage in-person interview session. The phone interviews were standard stuff. The in person interviews were well thought out and definitely more than a formality - some interviewers were fairly challenging. Overall the people were great and the impression I got was that Cisco is a vibrant, churning environment where an industrious and enterprising person can find a rewarding niche to shine in.

Interview Questions
    • What makes you think you' would be satisfied working for Cisco?   View Answer

I had another offer that I preferred.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cisco Systems in July 2012.

An agency contacted me about my resume on an online job seeking site. The staffing agency finds interview candidates for Cisco and prepare them to be as good a candidate as possible. My agency went above and beyond in preparing me and informing me on the interview process and what to expect. The process took very long on Cisco's end, but I soon had an in-person interview at Cisco, which I studied for for two days, reviewing all of my CCNA material and the preliminary questions the agency asked me over the phone. Overall, I over-studied and nailed every question in the interview. I was surprised at how easy the interview was for me.

Interview Questions
    Pay was determined by an agency, who offered me only $12/ hour at my initial team with promises of a raise the moment I moved to my permanent team. I had very little experience besides a paid internship, but I did have a CCNA certification, which I have noticed few people at my level of support have. In my experience, agencies always offer low with promises of a raise very soon. I encourage anyone negotiating to ask for what they believe they deserve listing their strengths and see what they can negotiate.

Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Cisco Systems in May 2012.

Well my cisco journey began with an email from the TAC member on May24th. JUL 20th and I was contacted by this TAC had an 1hr 30min interview with him. Then I was contacted by a engineer and had a 15min interview now all I have left is 2 interviews.

Business Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cisco Systems in July 2011.

The process was disorganized. There seemed to be disagreement in the position responsibilities from those that interviewed me. There was little follow up without my prodding and they seemed disengaged. I got the impression that employees were stressed and unhappy working there. It appeared that there is tons of bureaucracy and no one seemed to know how decisions were made. There was frustration that their opinion did not matter to mgmt. I felt like they thought their upper mgmt should be fired.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a big success in your career and your specific role in that success?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a big failure in your career and your role in that failure? What did you learn?   Answer Question

Employees that i met did not seem happy working there. The bureaucracy looked frustrating and I had much better options for a happy job rather than to take the money (best $$$ offer I received). I figured that I would rather earn less and love my job than to make lots of money and be miserable.

Solutions Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Cisco Systems in June 2012.

The character and soft skills seemed to go very well, but the technical content was surprisingly tough. As one might expect, I theorize there is a minimum level of networking skill for anything beyond an entry position. Overall, I think the process was very good, but the areas where more focus would be helpful to my application are pretty clear to me.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Cisco Systems in April 2012.

Cisco system pretty good

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Cisco Systems in April 2012.

Initial contact was made by recruiter. The hiring manager subsequently went out of town for a week. That's why it took ten days. There was no phone prescreen; I only did an on-site interview.

I met with the software manager, who would also be making the hiring decision, in her office. She told me a little bit about the team and what was she trying to accomplish with building the team. Shortly thereafter, the tech lead joined us in her office.

The tech lead asked me to go over my previous job(s). He had some light technical questions, which were all easy to answer. This took maybe half an hour. After that, the tech lead left, and I spent another 20 minutes or so talking to the manager alone about the team and their processes.

The Cisco campus is pretty big. They have a cafeteria, a gym, volleyball courts, etc. It's easy to see why they make the Best Places to Work list regularly. The atmosphere is pretty laid back. The development manager was wearing shorts and a Mickey Mouse t-shirt. The tech lead was wearing jeans and sandals. They also seemed pretty flexible when it came to work-life balance issues.

I wanted the job, but they said I was "overqualified". Since the interview was through a recruiter, they knew my rate before they set up the interview, so I don't think "overqualified" means "too expensive" in this case.

Associate Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Cisco Systems in November 2011.

1. simple phone interview