Cisco Systems Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Feb 4, 2015
Updated Feb 4, 2015

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Pretty Straight forward, telephonic interview with an engineer. If that does well there will be an onsite interview for about 3-4 hours with different team members. The results can be after one week or it might take some time depending upon the companies hiring state. Sometime it can be as fast as 2 days and sometimes if the position is frozen there won't be any news :-(.

Other Interview Reviews for Cisco Systems

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Pretty smooth. Had a phone interview with hiring manager and team member. Then onsite with members of team. Very pleasant attitude. More a discussion of past projects and current technologies. Recruiter was pretty prompt and easy to communicate with. Had a chance to speak with the director as well before accepting offer. Overall a good experience.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. Mostly about past experience and project details.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Cisco Systems in October 2014.

had 10 hours of interview 5 hours each. questions were not difficult everything in the areas of data structures, OS fundamentals and c programming. Interviewed for development engineer and the its a 1:1 type interview where each interviewer spends 1 hr with me. They started asking C-programming questions the 2nd minute itself. all the interviewers are really nice and friendly, except one person who acted very weird, showing attitude as if Cisco is standing just because of him, working on his laptop, replying emails, saying "shoot..", come on.. etc etc . I did not had a mood to answer him.

Interview Questions
    • the hiring manager sitting next to me and asking me to write a c program on his laptop, which I did not expect.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

interviewed at Cisco Systems in July 2014.

I have passed one phone interview, and two onsite technical interviews.
    Last person i spoke with was department director, some indian guy with a lot of complexes.
    He kept saying how it is important to be hard worker , and being only smart is not enough.
    Few times he pointed out that he doesn't care about my past experiences in Armenia.
    I would leave the interview before it finished, but friend of mine was also working there so i had to stay and enjoy the performance :)

It is funny to see such big name as Cisco having such a mean directors.

P.S. they even checked my background before talking with indian guy.

Interview Questions
    • The longest Increasing Subsequence (LIS) problem is to find the length of the longest subsequence of a given sequence such that all elements of the subsequence are sorted in increasing order. For example, length of LIS for { 10, 22, 9, 33, 21, 50, 41, 60, 80 } is 6 and LIS is {10, 22, 33, 50, 60, 80}.   View Answer
    • mainly implementing some well known algorithms on the board (like binary search, some three traversal problems)   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems in February 2014.

They have very standard process of interview.

Interview Questions
    • How would you build a intrusion detection system for 300Gbps network traffic?
      What kind of data storage system might be useful in such case?

Answer Question
    Offer was pretty standard.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

No interview process. Cisco acquired our technology and we were hired with the technology.

Interview Questions
    Engineers were hired with the technology and our manager negotiated the deal for us.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems.

First round was on-campus interview. Followed by on-site interview with 4 engineers and manager. Plenty of white boarding for clean and commented code, some brain teasers, questions revolved around arrays and linked lists. Lunch with the hiring manager towards evening. I found out about the decision in 2 weeks

Not much

Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems.

It went very well They asked me question on Core Java, Spring, Struts, Web services (SOAP, REST). some Network related query i.e. SNMP protocal etc.

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cisco Systems in December 2012.

Technical Phone Screen and then in-person interview with Manager, Technical Lead and Team Member.
    Phone Screen went 45 mins, lot of technical questions on the skill set in resume.
    In In-Person interview, first manager met and descriobed bat the job, and the project. Then a technical team member - she asked quesions related to sorting algorithms, and data structures. After that Lead came and asked few technical questions and some behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • make a sorted list from two sorted, asked to write the code on board.   Answer Question
    • Thread-safe singleton pattern - asked to write the code   Answer Question
    • Code to add element in doubly linked list   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Cisco Systems.

Phone screen + 5 rounds of tech interview (45 min each) + interview with Hiring Manager( ~1hr)