Cisco Systems Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Oct 4, 2014
Updated Oct 4, 2014

26 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Pretty smooth. Had a phone interview with hiring manager and team member. Then onsite with members of team. Very pleasant attitude. More a discussion of past projects and current technologies. Recruiter was pretty prompt and easy to communicate with. Had a chance to speak with the director as well before accepting offer. Overall a good experience.

Interview Questions
  • Nothing unexpected. Mostly about past experience and project details.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Cisco Systems

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems in February 2014.

They have very standard process of interview.

Interview Questions
    • How would you build a intrusion detection system for 300Gbps network traffic?
      What kind of data storage system might be useful in such case?
        Answer Question
    Offer was pretty standard.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

No interview process. Cisco acquired our technology and we were hired with the technology.

Interview Questions
    Engineers were hired with the technology and our manager negotiated the deal for us.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems.

First round was on-campus interview. Followed by on-site interview with 4 engineers and manager. Plenty of white boarding for clean and commented code, some brain teasers, questions revolved around arrays and linked lists. Lunch with the hiring manager towards evening. I found out about the decision in 2 weeks

Not much

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milpitas, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milpitas, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems.

It went very well They asked me question on Core Java, Spring, Struts, Web services (SOAP, REST). some Network related query i.e. SNMP protocal etc.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cisco Systems in December 2012.

Technical Phone Screen and then in-person interview with Manager, Technical Lead and Team Member.
    Phone Screen went 45 mins, lot of technical questions on the skill set in resume.
    In In-Person interview, first manager met and descriobed bat the job, and the project. Then a technical team member - she asked quesions related to sorting algorithms, and data structures. After that Lead came and asked few technical questions and some behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • make a sorted list from two sorted, asked to write the code on board.   Answer Question
    • Thread-safe singleton pattern - asked to write the code   Answer Question
    • Code to add element in doubly linked list   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Cisco Systems.

Phone screen + 5 rounds of tech interview (45 min each) + interview with Hiring Manager( ~1hr)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems in July 2012.

Contacted by recruiter thru LinkedIn then 30 min phone screening by him and after few days 30 min phone call with hiring manager. He then told me on the phone itself that he would like me to come for onsite interviews. After a week I got date/time set up for 4 onsite interview(3 half an hour and one 1 hour group discussion).2 pure technical interviews other 2 mix of behavioral and technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • How would you achieve concurrency without using threads ?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Cisco Systems in April 2012.

Initial contact was made by recruiter. The hiring manager subsequently went out of town for a week. That's why it took ten days. There was no phone prescreen; I only did an on-site interview.

I met with the software manager, who would also be making the hiring decision, in her office. She told me a little bit about the team and what was she trying to accomplish with building the team. Shortly thereafter, the tech lead joined us in her office.

The tech lead asked me to go over my previous job(s). He had some light technical questions, which were all easy to answer. This took maybe half an hour. After that, the tech lead left, and I spent another 20 minutes or so talking to the manager alone about the team and their processes.

The Cisco campus is pretty big. They have a cafeteria, a gym, volleyball courts, etc. It's easy to see why they make the Best Places to Work list regularly. The atmosphere is pretty laid back. The development manager was wearing shorts and a Mickey Mouse t-shirt. The tech lead was wearing jeans and sandals. They also seemed pretty flexible when it came to work-life balance issues.

I wanted the job, but they said I was "overqualified". Since the interview was through a recruiter, they knew my rate before they set up the interview, so I don't think "overqualified" means "too expensive" in this case.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Cisco Systems in March 2012.

Because Cisco merges many companies, different groups rely on their own HR/HM to find candidates. Therefore, you have to submit the applications to many positions. Campus interview is a good way to go. My interviews involved three rounds of technical phone interviews. All the programming questions, from data structure to how to use the debugger. They soon gave the offer (a reasonable good one).

Interview Questions

Location is not good for my personal reasons.