Cisco Systems Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Feb 4, 2015
Updated Feb 4, 2015

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems (Austin, TX) in July 2012.

Interview

Contacted by recruiter thru LinkedIn then 30 min phone screening by him and after few days 30 min phone call with hiring manager. He then told me on the phone itself that he would like me to come for onsite interviews. After a week I got date/time set up for 4 onsite interview(3 half an hour and one 1 hour group discussion).2 pure technical interviews other 2 mix of behavioral and technical questions.

Interview Questions

• How would you achieve concurrency without using threads ?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Cisco Systems

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Cisco Systems (Research Triangle Park, NC) in April 2012.

Interview

Initial contact was made by recruiter. The hiring manager subsequently went out of town for a week. That's why it took ten days. There was no phone prescreen; I only did an on-site interview.

I met with the software manager, who would also be making the hiring decision, in her office. She told me a little bit about the team and what was she trying to accomplish with building the team. Shortly thereafter, the tech lead joined us in her office.

The tech lead asked me to go over my previous job(s). He had some light technical questions, which were all easy to answer. This took maybe half an hour. After that, the tech lead left, and I spent another 20 minutes or so talking to the manager alone about the team and their processes.

The Cisco campus is pretty big. They have a cafeteria, a gym, volleyball courts, etc. It's easy to see why they make the Best Places to Work list regularly. The atmosphere is pretty laid back. The development manager was wearing shorts and a Mickey Mouse t-shirt. The tech lead was wearing jeans and sandals. They also seemed pretty flexible when it came to work-life balance issues.

I wanted the job, but they said I was "overqualified". Since the interview was through a recruiter, they knew my rate before they set up the interview, so I don't think "overqualified" means "too expensive" in this case.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

Because Cisco merges many companies, different groups rely on their own HR/HM to find candidates. Therefore, you have to submit the applications to many positions. Campus interview is a good way to go. My interviews involved three rounds of technical phone interviews. All the programming questions, from data structure to how to use the debugger. They soon gave the offer (a reasonable good one).

Interview Questions

Location is not good for my personal reasons.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems (Milpitas, CA) in February 2012.

Interview

My friend submiited my resume. 2 weeks later, A recruter called me and talked for 20 minutes. He said someone would contact me in one week. I am still waiting.

Interview Questions

• In general, how does an IP stack process a received packet?   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in June 2011.

Interview

been asked for the background knowledge;
    been tested with C++ skills;
    been tested with Java skills
    been tested with protocols;
    did not answer all the question correctly;
    there were 5 rounds interviews;
    took one day;

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems in January 2011.

Interview

phone interview is followed by onsite interview. onsite interview contains questions from computer science algorithm books. for j2ee positions, j2ee component based questions are asked.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in May 2010.

Interview

Engineer called for a phone-screen. Nothing technical just questions about resume. 1 day later recruiter emailed me to set up on-site. It was with 6 people, including the Hiring Manager, another manager and their manager. Lots of questions about previous experience. Questions about Priority Inversion, priority inheritance,semaphores. Simple C++ concept questions.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cisco Systems (Santa Clara, CA) in October 2009.

Interview

I see the position on the Cisco career website. Submitted my resume and fill out the forms. Got a phone interview a couple weeks later and then schedule a on-site next week. It is a technical interview and I did a lot of white-board coding. The questions are not difficult (like reverse a link list). But the manager pays a lot attention to the details. For example, how you optimize a couple statement and what variable naming scheme you use. Overall it is not a tough interview. I think I am qualified for the position but I am not the type of developer the manager is looking for.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Cisco Systems (Austin, TX) in August 2008.

Interview

->try to be a good presenter
    -> able to explain past experience
    ->some c and linux

Interview Questions

Negotiation

was difficult to raise much

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Cisco Systems (Santa Clara, CA) in March 2008.

Interview

Questions weren't too hard, all solvable with given time. People were friendly. Study algorithms, C/C++ coding, and math proofs. Study a lot of sample interviews online, especially acetheinterview.com and careercup.com. These sites have user inputted real interview questions that can help you. Also study brain teasers.

Interview Questions

Not interesting and challenging.