Cisco Systems Software Engineer I Interview Questions

Updated Jun 29, 2015

2.9

Software Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Cisco Systems.

Interview

Phone interview was mostly behavioral questions and related to current projects and previous work. Included questions about interests and skills. Waiting to here back about next steps in the process.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Cisco Systems

Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Cisco Systems (Chapel Hill, NC) in March 2015.

Interview

Went over entire resume and asked questions regarding each. No specific technical questions, but did as questions regarding the classes I took (Data structures, algorithms). Fairly laid back and nice interviewer. Only had a single interview and received an email the next week. The email was not an offer email nor a second round interview email. It just said that I was still in consideration for the position and that the selection process would take place in the next few weeks. At the time of this review, I'm still waiting.

Software Engineer I Interview

Interview

On campus interview, 2 technical rounds followed by a HR round. The recruiters made me feel comfortable. Most questions are basic questions to test understanding of fundamentals of various subjects.

Software Engineer I Interview

Interview

I had a technical phone Interview with QE engineer on data structures and concepts and then a follow-up behavioral phone interview with hiring manager that also included some problem solving brainteaser questions.

Interview Questions

• Questions on data structures and general concepts of   1 Answer
    • Know how to come up with test cases for simple real life applications   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems (Austin, TX) in April 2014.

Interview

My resume was forwarded from someone I know to a manager accepting applications. He then called me for a 20 minute phone interview to ask basic questions to determine what kind of person I am and if the job would interest me. Following that, another interview was scheduled two days later with two of their higher level software engineers. I had the option to do it over the phone or in person, and I chose the latter. It lasted about two and a half hours, where the first 40 minutes or so were quizzing me on my general Java (it was a Java-specific position) and programming knowledge, and after a short break the rest of the time was spent on six programming puzzles that I had to solve on a whiteboard. Half of them were fairly straightforward, and the other half more challenging. All of the interviewers were very kind and casual. When I asked what to wear to the interview I was told blue jeans and a nice shirt, and I was still dressed up a little more than some of the employees there. The office's environment seemed laid back and welcoming, and overall the interview experience was very satisfying. I received a call later the following week from the manager I did the phone interview with, who was the manager I'd be working under, saying that he had put my name in to HR for an offer. The week after that, I received the official offer from HR and was given two weeks to accept or decline. I talked with HR about the specifics of the many benefits the company has available to its employees, and accepted the offer a few days later.

Interview Questions

• Given a string, find all of the palindromes within it that are not subsets of each other.   Answer Question

Software Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cisco Systems in September 2013.

Interview

Received on campus interview several days after talking to representative at career fair. The career fair was crowded so only had a few minutes to talk about my resume. Interview was 30 minutes long. The interviewer was very nice and I enjoyed talking to her. She also answered some of my questions about Cisco.

Interview Questions

• Mostly questions about my interest in Cisco and Computer Science, as well as projects I put on resume.   Answer Question

Software Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cisco Systems.

Interview

Went to a job fair and talked with the guy designated to handle potential Software Engineer I applicants. This was a screen to make sure you weren't a complete dummy. Passed that at the career fair and was set up right then and there for an interview at my college career center. That interview was about an hour and 15 minutes long, and I was interviewed by two people. They asked lots of questions about my academic projects, team experience, and questioned me on Java vs. C. One interviewer was calm and friendly, the other interviewer was more severe and judgmental towards my answers. While he probably meant to be intimidating, his attitude was more off-putting rather than scary. The questions ranged from how do I handle team issues to being a leader, etc. to comparing Java and C, how they're compiled, interpreted, etc.

Interview Questions

• It was a behavioral question and surprised me the most out of everything. If you were given only a week to do a project and you knew there was no way you were going to finish it in the time allotted, what do you do? Basically, you knew you weren't going to finish it in time, but your manager essentially doesn't understand that (not explicit).   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in November 2010.

Interview

Went to my schools career fair. Had a short interview on the spot. I was offered an on-campus interview the next day. After a week, they asked me to fly up to San Jose for more interviews. On the day of the interviews, we were all (30 applying for the Cisco Choice Program) interviewing in the same room. Each of us had to interview 1 on 1 with a Cisco employee for 45min. After a 5 min break, we rotated to another interviewer. And again. So there were 3 interviews in a row. After their was a tour of the campus. A week later I received a congratulatory email and a week after I received an official offer.

Interview Questions

• How to reverse a linked list? (in 2 different ways)   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in November 2010.

Interview

I started with the company from a Job Fair at my university. The turn around time between meeting with a PR and getting an e-mail took about two weeks. They let me know about on-campus interviews and I signed up for one. At the interview, I was paired with a young gentlemen who asked mainly technical questions based around data structures and algorithms. Afterwards, I was contacted two weeks after for an on-site interview. I had the interview in their Texas location. It consisted of 3 45-minute interviews. Compared to other friends who had their interviews at the same time, mine was fairly personality based. I was asked only one technical question, but my other friends were technically grilled. I think it matters for the random group you were placed in. I had a fairly positive perception of the company afterwards. There were two or three presentations as well as a tour which highlighted the work environment and life. It seems very group-based, and those there seemed to be engaging and good listeners.

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in October 2008.

Interview

I got an interview on campus. Basic questions about myself and the company: "Tell me about yourself", "How do I know if you are the right person for my company?"...No technical Then 1 month later I got an invitation including hotel and flight ticket to San Jose for 2 days. It started with a dinner with Cisco employees. The next days, we are divided into 3-person groups. Each group will be interview individually by 3 other engineers. They basically asked about my group projects. Gave some technical questions about Java like "What is inheritance?". The last guy will ask harder questions in C programming skill "Write a code to reverse the words in a string?" "Optimize it"