Cisco Systems Software Engineer III Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 17, 2014
14 interviews

14 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cisco Systems.

Came in through the 2007 choice program. Met a recruiter at university, had a 1:1 interview, then was scheduled to come on-site to interview with 3 engineers. The questions were very easy probably because they wanted to get younger people into the company.

Other Interview Reviews for Cisco Systems

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Richardson, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richardson, TX

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Cisco Systems in January 2011.

I submitted an application to the Cisco Choice program at a career fair at my university. I had previously been an intern at Cisco and listed my old manager as a reference. I got a call and was invited to attend an interview session data at the Richardson campus. I was interviewed by 3 people, each with their own set of technical and behavioral questions. After that, we toured the campus and then went home.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked a boolean logic riddle:

You are walking and arrive at a dead end with 2 doors. You must get past this, but you are told that only one door is correct, leading you on your path and the other door is not correct and leads to something perilous. In front of each door is a guard. One guard always tells the truth and the other always lies. You may ask one of the guards one question, and then you must pick your door and go through it. What question do you ask, which door do you pick based on the answer, and why?

This is actually not that hard once you realize that it's a boolean algebra problem, but I was surprised that I was asked that question.
        View Answer
    There wasn't much to negotiate since I did not have to relocate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Cisco Systems in April 2009.

Phone interview was done first. Then I was called for an onsite interview. All the team members interviewed for half a day. Each spent 45 minutes. Mostly questions were all asked from what I did. My interview was maily for installation experience and java needs. Questions from Installshield were asked.

Interview Questions
    Do not give a range for your salary expectation. Give exactly how much do you want in the application.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Cisco Systems.

Phone screening by 2 people from the same team where job requirement is posted.
    All the questions were related to the actual work. No nonsense like puzzles pulled from internet.
    Took almost 2 weeks to finalize the onsite interview. Interview was for full day(10am to 4pm)
    4 people interviewed. All the interview questions were related to job, technology and programming. Full professionalism is displayed.
    Took almost 1.5 months to declare the offer. I did followup 2 times by emails. I did interview well so was expecting call, which I finally did.

Interview Questions
    • Binary tree traversals - answered.
      Sorting algorithms - didn't expect but answered.
        View Answer
    Didn't negotiate as the offered salary was market value at that time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Cisco Systems in March 2010.

- 6 rounds including an interview by director.
    - Interview styles changed with individuals
    - Interview included both conceptual questions and coding. First phone interview needed coding on a shared screen

Interview Questions
    • In depth question on interrupt handling by linux kernel   View Answer
    Company was not very "negotiation-friendly"

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Cisco Systems in February 2008.

Recruiter called to check basics. Had one phone screen for 30 mins followed by onsite interview by 6 team members. No hard questions compared. Only one engineer asked a question on linked list. They only check if you know what you mentioned in your resume.

Interview Questions
    Cisco was very slow in responding back with an offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 6 days - interviewed at Cisco Systems in January 2010.

It was very similar to any other big company

I din't negotiate well

Anonymous Employee  in  San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Cisco Systems in August 2008.

interviewed at Cisco post-layoff at another big company where I worked for 3+ years. All the interviewing went well. I was interviewed multiple times over phone as team was geographically distributed, at least 13-14 interviews. I did "exceptionally" well in all interviews. .later recruiter left me 2/3 Vms and he started talking to me as if he is giving me bad feedback. he called me 2/3 times. I returned call, and apparently he wanted to extend me an offer. but he was talking as if he is not hiring but firing me. I declined the offer and still he would insist me fill the emplyment application and complete background check. which was insane. He wasn't extending me the right offer , just 2-3K above my salary back then and wanted me to go through emplyment background check,

next morning,
    my so called prospective manager called me and was telling me he would get me hooked with other linux engineers in their company and clealry telling me that 6 months down the road I would need to look for another job as their BU would go restructuring and new reqs will get RIFed. and after hearing this, he would go on insisting fill the emplyment application?
    Also, one of the engineers during interview said -"I am your ATM machine" and I felt like am with unrespectful background. at this statement. He further emails me In this economy "I should accept any job".
    I declined the offer and stayed home until March 2010. than to be apart of such unrespectful maniacs.

I am young kernel engineer for last 10 years in silicon valley and being woman in hi-tech, always outnumbered by men.
    Problem was they did not want me to extend offer but my interviewing went really well and I had told them laughingly, I record my interviews, they were not able "TO NOT EXTEND" me an offer.

couple of recruiter initiated conversations exactly matched word-to-word to my ex-manager's conversation with me at previous job the resemblance was striking as I used record all the conversations with my ex-manager during my performance reviews. I had also recorded my converstaion with this recruiter.
    I knew the VP at previous job is the same VP of the group at Cisco, I was interviewing with.
    Later I checked the vp and hiring manager both were fired, may be due to their own incompetencies.

most of the hi0tech companies now-adays do behind the scenes informal talks by traversing linkedin trees and finding your co-workers and manager's name. In bureaucratic companies this can potentially give opportunity to your ex-manager to take a revenge upon you. This back-door checks are Legally not allowed i.e. your prospective employers is allowed to check references with only those whose name you have listed on employment application. my advice is- remove Linkedin profile, This is for recruiters/HR and not you.
    People/friends who want to give you a job are just 1/2 and they must be in your trusted close contact.

Interview Questions
    • packet forwarding engine implementation?   Answer Question
    • how did bandwidth control work in my previous project at previous work?   Answer Question

bad offer and bad communication

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Cisco Systems in January 2008.

I was referred by an Employee and got a call from the recruiter immediately to discuss my interest. The hiring manager called and had a brief discussion about my background and qualifications. After that, I was called for on-site interview - the interview lasted from 11 AM - 6 PM interviewed by around 7 people and talked about C-programming, data structures, algorithms, networking skills etc. After that I had a written test in C. Got a call from the manager next day that I was hired. That's it.

Interview Questions
    • Question about linux internals - shared memory concepts.   Answer Question

Software Engineer III Interview

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Cisco Systems.

interview was good among other interview I have attended. sometime felt same old repetitive questions 4 levels took around 4 hrs of time. 4 managers , 1 site lead interviewed. floating point, h264, omap and much more

I didn't do negotiation

Worked for Cisco Systems? Contribute to the Community!