Cisco Systems Software Engineer III Interview Questions

Updated Jun 17, 2015

3.1

Software Engineer III Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Cisco Systems.

Interview

attended 4 rounds of interview. Cleared phone screening first and then next interview focused on technical stuff followed by coding of logic and explanation and final round of interview focused on compensation

Other Interview Reviews for Cisco Systems

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA).

Interview

Came in through the 2007 choice program. Met a recruiter at university, had a 1:1 interview, then was scheduled to come on-site to interview with 3 engineers. The questions were very easy probably because they wanted to get younger people into the company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA).

Interview

Phone screening by 2 people from the same team where job requirement is posted. All the questions were related to the actual work. No nonsense like puzzles pulled from internet. Took almost 2 weeks to finalize the onsite interview. Interview was for full day(10am to 4pm) 4 people interviewed. All the interview questions were related to job, technology and programming. Full professionalism is displayed. Took almost 1.5 months to declare the offer. I did followup 2 times by emails. I did interview well so was expecting call, which I finally did.

Interview Questions

• Binary tree traversals - answered. Sorting algorithms - didn't expect but answered.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Didn't negotiate as the offered salary was market value at that time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in June 2011.

Interview

Process was straight forward , I had to talk to 4 technical members in the team and 2 managers.Questions were technical around the area which I had already reviewed , they also discussed about programming.Fit was an important area which they discussed and gave an opportunity to have Lunch with the team and not just the manager and the team made me feel comfortable in the Group Lunch

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richardson, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems (Richardson, TX) in January 2011.

Interview

I submitted an application to the Cisco Choice program at a career fair at my university. I had previously been an intern at Cisco and listed my old manager as a reference. I got a call and was invited to attend an interview session data at the Richardson campus. I was interviewed by 3 people, each with their own set of technical and behavioral questions. After that, we toured the campus and then went home.

Interview Questions

• I was asked a boolean logic riddle: You are walking and arrive at a dead end with 2 doors. You must get past this, but you are told that only one door is correct, leading you on your path and the other door is not correct and leads to something perilous. In front of each door is a guard. One guard always tells the truth and the other always lies. You may ask one of the guards one question, and then you must pick your door and go through it. What question do you ask, which door do you pick based on the answer, and why? This is actually not that hard once you realize that it's a boolean algebra problem, but I was surprised that I was asked that question.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There wasn't much to negotiate since I did not have to relocate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in March 2010.

Interview

- 6 rounds including an interview by director. - Interview styles changed with individuals - Interview included both conceptual questions and coding. First phone interview needed coding on a shared screen

Interview Questions

• In depth question on interrupt handling by linux kernel   1 Answer

Negotiation

Company was not very "negotiation-friendly"

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in January 2010.

Interview

It was very similar to any other big company

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I din't negotiate well

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in April 2009.

Interview

Phone interview was done first. Then I was called for an onsite interview. All the team members interviewed for half a day. Each spent 45 minutes. Mostly questions were all asked from what I did. My interview was maily for installation experience and java needs. Questions from Installshield were asked.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Do not give a range for your salary expectation. Give exactly how much do you want in the application.

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in August 2008.

Interview

interviewed at Cisco post-layoff at another big company where I worked for 3+ years. All the interviewing went well. I was interviewed multiple times over phone as team was geographically distributed, at least 13-14 interviews. I did "exceptionally" well in all interviews. .later recruiter left me 2/3 Vms and he started talking to me as if he is giving me bad feedback. he called me 2/3 times. I returned call, and apparently he wanted to extend me an offer. but he was talking as if he is not hiring but firing me. I declined the offer and still he would insist me fill the emplyment application and complete background check. which was insane. He wasn't extending me the right offer , just 2-3K above my salary back then and wanted me to go through emplyment background check, next morning, my so called prospective manager called me and was telling me he would get me hooked with other linux engineers in their company and clealry telling me that 6 months down the road I would need to look for another job as their BU would go restructuring and new reqs will get RIFed. and after hearing this, he would go on insisting fill the emplyment application? Also, one of the engineers during interview said -"I am your ATM machine" and I felt like am with unrespectful background. at this statement. He further emails me In this economy "I should accept any job". I declined the offer and stayed home until March 2010. than to be apart of such unrespectful maniacs. I am young kernel engineer for last 10 years in silicon valley and being woman in hi-tech, always outnumbered by men. Problem was they did not want me to extend offer but my interviewing went really well and I had told them laughingly, I record my interviews, they were not able "TO NOT EXTEND" me an offer. couple of recruiter initiated conversations exactly matched word-to-word to my ex-manager's conversation with me at previous job the resemblance was striking as I used record all the conversations with my ex-manager during my performance reviews. I had also recorded my converstaion with this recruiter. I knew the VP at previous job is the same VP of the group at Cisco, I was interviewing with. Later I checked the vp and hiring manager both were fired, may be due to their own incompetencies. most of the hi0tech companies now-adays do behind the scenes informal talks by traversing linkedin trees and finding your co-workers and manager's name. In bureaucratic companies this can potentially give opportunity to your ex-manager to take a revenge upon you. This back-door checks are Legally not allowed i.e. your prospective employers is allowed to check references with only those whose name you have listed on employment application. my advice is- remove Linkedin profile, This is for recruiters/HR and not you. People/friends who want to give you a job are just 1/2 and they must be in your trusted close contact.

Interview Questions

• packet forwarding engine implementation?   Answer Question
    • how did bandwidth control work in my previous project at previous work?   Answer Question

bad offer and bad communication

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in February 2008.

Interview

Recruiter called to check basics. Had one phone screen for 30 mins followed by onsite interview by 6 team members. No hard questions compared. Only one engineer asked a question on linked list. They only check if you know what you mentioned in your resume.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Cisco was very slow in responding back with an offer.