Cisco Systems Software Engineer Interview Questions & Reviews

143 interviews

2.9

143 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I was hired more than 10 years ago so I don't remember what exactly it was anymore. It was something like being interviewed by at least 5 engineers and then managers. Questions mostly on C and C++.

Other Interview Reviews for Cisco Systems

Software Engineer Interview

Easiest Interview I ever did. No technical questions were asked. The interviewer seemed bored and completely unprepared. Did not put in any energy prior to the interview preparing for it,

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Cisco Systems in April 2014.

got a call from manager went over CV arranged for a interview through webex. Talked asked about my current experience and threads, dead locks, datastructures, css, javascript basic questions, asked to write double linked list program, string reversal, they would accept any language you are comfortable in.

Interview Questions
    • String concatination, how canyou write a better concatination with out using existing menthods like .concat etc... can a dead lock happen with three threads, the job description has nothing to do with these questions. The concentration was on basics of programming, was asked to write doule linked list program...if you are comfortable with sting programs and linked list concepts it is very easy to crack...   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Milpitas, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milpitas, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Cisco Systems in May 2011.

2 rounds phone interview. On site has 2 rounds. Each interview is half an hour. Questions from big kettle endian to driving programming and troubleshooting. Not very tricky and no brain tricks. Director will interview engineers as last round. Usually take 2-3 days to have response.

Added 20 percent sign on bonus

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cisco Systems in May 2010.

1. Define Storage Classes and explain application domain.
    register - tell to the compiler for use a CPU register for fast aceess for that variable.

auto - it's a variable created and initialized when it is defined. It is not visible outside of the block.

static - defined inside of the function retain its value between calls. Always is initialized with 0. Defined as global in a file is visible on for the functions from that file.

extern - the definition of the variable is in another file.

2. Define the Storage Qualifiers

const - define a variable that can not change its value along the program execution.

volatile - define a variable that can be changed indirectly. An example can be a counter register that is updated by hardware.

mutuable - a member of a structure or object can be changed even if the structure, for example is declared const:

Ex: struct complex {mutuable int x; int y;};

const complex Mycomplex = {1, 2};

Mycomplex.x = 3; /* correct */

3. Give an example for a variable "const" and "volatile". Is it possible?

Yes, a status register for a microcontroller.

4. Detect if a linked list is circular.

Need to use 2 pointers, one incrementing by 1 and another by 2. If the list is circular, then pointer that is incremented by 2 elements will pass over the first pointer.

5. Have you any remarks?

#define res(a) a*a

Using in this form the result will not be like we expect. Thinking that "a" is replaced with (2+3), then we will obtain 2+3*2+3 = 11 instead (2+3)*(2+3) = 25.

Use always #define res(a) (a)*(a)

6. Define a "dangling" pointer

Dangling pointer is obtained by using the address of an object which was freed.

7. Any difference between "const int*ptr" and int *const ptr" ?

Yes, it's a major difference. First define a constant data and second define a constant pointer.

8. What is the declaration and definition of a variable?

The definition contains the implementation for a method or variable declaration. This is just an example.

9. Give a solution for a stack overflow situation.

func_call() {

funct_call();

}

Every time the above function is called the return address is stored onto the stack. Calling in this infinite loop will cause a stack overflow.

10. Give 4 examples for an infinite loop.

a. while (1) {}

b. for (;;) {}

c. do {}while{1};

d. label:

goto label;

Interview Questions
    • What are the difference between DES and RSA algorithm?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cisco Systems in August 2010.

technical interview. coding question on traversing a linked list. improving the speed of execution of an algorithm. i wrote an algorithm that was O(n). i then made it O(log n) and then I made it O(1).
    I was then asked to write an algorithm to delete something in a linked list only traversing it once

Interview Questions
    bad. HR did not let me negotiate

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Cisco Systems.

Process took a few weeks. Simple behavioral interview through University Program

Interview Questions
    • Describe a difficult situation where you found a solution   Answer Question
    Set salary. No room for negotiation

Software Engineer Interview

The previous company was purchased by Cisco Systems. So, we do not need to go through the interview process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I interviewed through other source - interviewed at Cisco Systems in July 2010.

Hiring process was very long. I had to attend several interviews. It took a while to get an offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Richardson, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richardson, TX

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Cisco Systems in August 2010.

The interview process was standard session of writing pseudo code to solve a generic problem.

Interview Questions
    The salary was very competitive so I took initial offer.

Worked for Cisco Systems? Contribute to the Community!