Cisco Systems Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Apr 20, 2015

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Cisco Systems.

Interview

WORST interview experience ever.
It started with a referral for application level position. Got an email requesting time for phone interview. After, deciding that got call from the same engineer that they have to fill the requistion so you will have to come onsite this week. So I rescheduled other interviews and went for the interview. When I reached the building my point of contact was not reachable. I waited in the lobby for 15 minutes and a gentleman from completely different team came and said I will interview you for my team. So from application team to a low level embedded team, what a jump. One of the interview asked me what is the balanced tree. I started explaining about the height and how difference in the height gets to the balanced tree. I was shocked to learn that interviewer's definition of balanced tree was a binary search tree. After explaining the interviewer and interviewer searching on the web for 5 minutes said there are these two definitions of the balanced tree and let's move on. One interviewer was very rigid about the hash chaining implementation. They wanted specific answers to specific questions rather than the thought process. The whole process was wierd.

Interview Questions

• Question whether the binary tree is balanced?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Cisco Systems

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Cisco Systems.

Interview

Hard interview, asked in depth questions about operating system internals and obscure data structures. Disconnect between what was posted on the listing and what the actual interview questions covered. Other than the questions the interviewers were nice and courteous. If I had expected questions on object oriented programming I would have done better.

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Cisco Systems (San Diego, CA).

Interview

First one with hiring manager, second with technical manager. They were both phone interviews. The first went well, but the second was terrible. I was told that it would take about half an hour and it ended up being over two. I felt like I was just being read a list of words to see if I could define. Kept being asked oop questions even though I kept mentioning my strength was in functional programming. I felt sort of mocked at the end, like no matter what I said it would be incorrect

Interview Questions

• Awful, 1hour+ of questions ranging from ood principles to Linux to c++/c to networks to Python. Also got asked what books I read to "keep current"   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Cisco Systems.

Interview

Started with phone interview from hiring manager, and 4 webex technical interviews.
    All interviews were technical, involving data structures, algorithms, object oriented programming and web services, and some problem solving questions

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Cisco Systems.

Interview

hand in resume on career fair and get the interview invitation in a week then campus interview.
    Alternate behavior question and basic bit munipulate question for 30 mins. Paper coding and some concept explain

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Cisco Systems.

Interview

Applied at Campus Career Fair, got an email next day to schedule an interview on campus.
    The process was fairly simple. They mostly focus on behavioral questions and your resume which are pretty easy to tackle. Since I had no prior work experience they asked me some basic networking questions. Interview lasted about 40 minutes after which in about 2 weeks they sent me an offer.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Cisco Systems.

Interview

Applied online and received an email requesting to setup a phone interview. Phone interview was about 30 minutes and was conversational about resume and projects worked. Onsite interview was two hours broken into short one on ones with team members and director. Most were conversational again besides one that tested your software skills.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Skype-like. Asked some concepts about data structures including hashtable and Binary Search Tree. Asked to solve some basic coding problems using stack and Binary Search Tree. Lasted for 40 min. High demand for C programming than other language.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cisco Systems (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Just asking some behavior questions and basic technique questions. For example, how to deal with the disagreement with your teammate?what is version control? They also asked some questions related to Python.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems.

Interview

A friend who worked at Cisco suggested I apply for the position. I applied through the website.

A phone pre-screen with the internal recruiter was first, followed by a programming exercise that was done at home, followed by an in-person interview.

I was told by the recruiter that there was a hard time limit for the exercise, but later the hiring manager told me that there was not, and I should finish the exercise which I had left incomplete due to time constraints.

The recruiter was very slow getting back to me. I was able to reach out to the hiring manager to prompt more action from the recruiter. The interview went well, and the group and I got along well.

Eventually an offer was made. I asked if I could get more, and eventually got a cash signing bonus.

Interview Questions

• The programming exercise was about parsing pseudo-XML tags.   1 Answer
    • Whiteboard coding: Reverse a linked list.   2 Answers

Negotiation

I was unable to get a higher offer, or get stocks or options, but I did negotiate a cash signing bonus.