Cisco Systems Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Apr 13, 2015
Updated Apr 13, 2015

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Cisco Systems (San Diego, CA).

Interview

First one with hiring manager, second with technical manager. They were both phone interviews. The first went well, but the second was terrible. I was told that it would take about half an hour and it ended up being over two. I felt like I was just being read a list of words to see if I could define. Kept being asked oop questions even though I kept mentioning my strength was in functional programming. I felt sort of mocked at the end, like no matter what I said it would be incorrect

Interview Questions

• Awful, 1hour+ of questions ranging from ood principles to Linux to c++/c to networks to Python. Also got asked what books I read to "keep current"   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Cisco Systems

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Cisco Systems.

Interview

Started with phone interview from hiring manager, and 4 webex technical interviews.
    All interviews were technical, involving data structures, algorithms, object oriented programming and web services, and some problem solving questions

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Cisco Systems.

Interview

hand in resume on career fair and get the interview invitation in a week then campus interview.
    Alternate behavior question and basic bit munipulate question for 30 mins. Paper coding and some concept explain

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Cisco Systems.

Interview

Applied at Campus Career Fair, got an email next day to schedule an interview on campus.
    The process was fairly simple. They mostly focus on behavioral questions and your resume which are pretty easy to tackle. Since I had no prior work experience they asked me some basic networking questions. Interview lasted about 40 minutes after which in about 2 weeks they sent me an offer.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Cisco Systems.

Interview

Applied online and received an email requesting to setup a phone interview. Phone interview was about 30 minutes and was conversational about resume and projects worked. Onsite interview was two hours broken into short one on ones with team members and director. Most were conversational again besides one that tested your software skills.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Skype-like. Asked some concepts about data structures including hashtable and Binary Search Tree. Asked to solve some basic coding problems using stack and Binary Search Tree. Lasted for 40 min. High demand for C programming than other language.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cisco Systems (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Just asking some behavior questions and basic technique questions. For example, how to deal with the disagreement with your teammate?what is version control? They also asked some questions related to Python.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems.

Interview

A friend who worked at Cisco suggested I apply for the position. I applied through the website.

A phone pre-screen with the internal recruiter was first, followed by a programming exercise that was done at home, followed by an in-person interview.

I was told by the recruiter that there was a hard time limit for the exercise, but later the hiring manager told me that there was not, and I should finish the exercise which I had left incomplete due to time constraints.

The recruiter was very slow getting back to me. I was able to reach out to the hiring manager to prompt more action from the recruiter. The interview went well, and the group and I got along well.

Eventually an offer was made. I asked if I could get more, and eventually got a cash signing bonus.

Interview Questions

• The programming exercise was about parsing pseudo-XML tags.   1 Answer
    • Whiteboard coding: Reverse a linked list.   2 Answers

Negotiation

I was unable to get a higher offer, or get stocks or options, but I did negotiate a cash signing bonus.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Cisco Systems.

Interview

I was contacted by a staffing agency about the position in CISCO, RTP. The initial round with CISCO was a webex call, but due to some issues with my internet connection, I couldn't take up the Webex and the Manager has called me on my mobile and it was 1:1 phone interview asking me to rate myself on Java and if I had any Linux experience. Asked If I have any usage of SQL and GIT. And asked about my expertise.

Got the result in 4 days, and the next round was with a panel of 7 members. 1 team member escorted to the meeting room and excused himself saying there is a priority. So it was a 6 member panel interview which went real smooth. There was no White Board coding. Asked so many questions from my resume like what was my contribution, Did I code any functionality from scratch... It was basically projecting yourself exactly the way your resume talks. This round was like a behavioral kinda as well - What challenges I faced. Finally 1 technical question was asked in Java - Difference b/w Interface and Abstract Class.

Interview Questions

• I was an ex employee of Oracle. So asked me what disadvantages I had working with Oracle DB. This was an unexpected question.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation as I was a contractor and I know my pay rate per hour.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Applied online.
    I had a short phone interview and they invited me to on-site interview.
    I talked to 6 people there for 6 hours.
    The questions are mostly about my background and experience. So you may need to prepare for that.
    Some technical questions, but they were not very hard. They didn't push me to answer quickly.
    You ship a product to your customer and he/she complained it does not work. How would you handle? continued the question by interacting with the interviewer.

Interview Questions

• Typical questions. Reverse linked list. Reverse bit in an integer. 0th bit <-> 31th bit, etc...
      What do you see yourself in the next 5 years.
      Summarize you experience in 5 minutes.

Answer Question