Cisco Systems

Getting the Interview

130 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Jose, CA

I applied through other source - interviewed at Cisco Systems in July 2010.

Interview Details – Hiring process was very long. I had to attend several interviews. It took a while to get an offer.

Richardson, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Cisco Systems in August 2010.

Interview Details – The interview process was standard session of writing pseudo code to solve a generic problem.

Interview Question – None of the questions were overly hard.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The salary was very competitive so I took initial offer.

San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Cisco Systems in October 2010.

Interview Details – interview process is lengthy and most of the time stick to basics , basics of networking is what most of the people check .

Interview Question – i didn't get any unexpected questions   Answer Question

Research Triangle Park, NC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Cisco Systems in September 2013.

Interview Details – call from recruiter. had 2technical interviews one for java and other for sql skills. and then on site interview with team members and manager

Interview Question – none   View Answer

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Cisco Systems in September 2012.

Interview Details – That is a one to one interview, just ask some questions about my experience. That's not very difficult to answer. They focus on my machine learning background. I cannot remember all the details about the interview. I'm a first master student at that time, and have no former work experience.

Interview Question – ask me about the router field question, which I never touched before.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Cisco Systems

Interview Details – I applied through my university career fair and got a interview one week later through the WebEx. The interview begins with the questions regarding my projects experience. Then several network foundation questions like what's trace route, how does it work and two problem regarding subnet and subnet mask. And two very easy algorithm problem.

Interview Question – what's trace route, how does it work   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Cisco Systems.

Interview Details – Go through recruiters or someone works in the company. Resumes received directly from outside almost never got chance of interviews.

Interview Question – Discuss the internal release policy.   Answer Question

Durham, NC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Cisco Systems in January 2014.

Interview Details – In the university career fair, the recruiter asked some projects on my resume and asked what language do I use mostly, and asked some questions related to operating systems.
The recruiter also introduced what they do in daily life, and tell me about their recruiting plan, cisco's hardware team has been moved to Shanghai.

Interview Question – What do you know about memory system in the linux system? How does it manager the memory?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Cisco Systems in November 2013.

Interview Details – Applied from school website and had a phone interview. The questions are quite easy and the interviewer was helpful.

Interview Question – The improvement of the question   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Cisco Systems in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied in October through a university careers website, and was contacted 2 weeks later about an on-campus interview. The interview consisted of talking about my resume and some coding questions. My interviewer asked about all of the technical skills listed on my resume, and since I know Java, he asked me some Java language-specific questions (describe polymorphism in Java...). He also asked a brain teaser at the end.

During the interview he told me I should expect to move on in the process because my GPA was high enough. About a week to 2 weeks after the interview, I received a letter of intent to hire from Cisco. I was asked to pick between San Jose, Atlanta, or Research Triangle Park. Also, I was asked to rank my preference for the following positions: Application Development, Embedded Systems, and Test Engineer. I sent in my preferences (I asked for Application Development, Research Triangle Park) but I was told that there were no positions other than Test Engineer available at RTP, so I was placed on a waitlist, with no guarantee of getting an offer unless something opened up.

However, I heard back again with an actual offer within another 2 weeks. This was for Embedded Systems in RTP. The salary was not competitive with my other offers, so I declined. Also, there was no human contact throughout the entire process, other than the on-campus interview, and they didn't offer to even bring me in for an on-site visit, so I would not have felt comfortable accepting the position even with a competitive salary.

Interview Question – Brain Teaser: Involved thinking outside the box to come up with a solution. The interviewer gave me a hint and then I got the answer. I don't really see the point of this kind of question, because I had heard something similar to the brain teaser he gave me, and I was able to get the answer quicker because of it.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Cisco Systems

Worked for Cisco Systems? Contribute to the Community!

Cisco Systems Videos

Cisco Systems – Why Work for Us?

We’re the people who made the Internet what it is today. From its early days of simple connectivity to the future of the Internet of Everything, we’ve pioneered it every step of the way. Now we’re building the best team… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cisco Systems Software Engineer interview questions and advice. All 130 interview reviews posted anonymously by Cisco Systems employees and interview candidates.