Cisco Systems Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 17, 2015
Updated Mar 17, 2015

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Cisco Systems.

Started with phone interview from hiring manager, and 4 webex technical interviews.
All interviews were technical, involving data structures, algorithms, object oriented programming and web services, and some problem solving questions

Other Interview Reviews for Cisco Systems

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Cisco Systems.

hand in resume on career fair and get the interview invitation in a week then campus interview.
    Alternate behavior question and basic bit munipulate question for 30 mins. Paper coding and some concept explain

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Cisco Systems.

Applied at Campus Career Fair, got an email next day to schedule an interview on campus.
    The process was fairly simple. They mostly focus on behavioral questions and your resume which are pretty easy to tackle. Since I had no prior work experience they asked me some basic networking questions. Interview lasted about 40 minutes after which in about 2 weeks they sent me an offer.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Cisco Systems.

Applied online and received an email requesting to setup a phone interview. Phone interview was about 30 minutes and was conversational about resume and projects worked. Onsite interview was two hours broken into short one on ones with team members and director. Most were conversational again besides one that tested your software skills.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems in February 2015.

Skype-like. Asked some concepts about data structures including hashtable and Binary Search Tree. Asked to solve some basic coding problems using stack and Binary Search Tree. Lasted for 40 min. High demand for C programming than other language.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cisco Systems in February 2015.

Just asking some behavior questions and basic technique questions. For example, how to deal with the disagreement with your teammate?what is version control? They also asked some questions related to Python.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems.

A friend who worked at Cisco suggested I apply for the position. I applied through the website.

A phone pre-screen with the internal recruiter was first, followed by a programming exercise that was done at home, followed by an in-person interview.

I was told by the recruiter that there was a hard time limit for the exercise, but later the hiring manager told me that there was not, and I should finish the exercise which I had left incomplete due to time constraints.

The recruiter was very slow getting back to me. I was able to reach out to the hiring manager to prompt more action from the recruiter. The interview went well, and the group and I got along well.

Eventually an offer was made. I asked if I could get more, and eventually got a cash signing bonus.

Interview Questions
    I was unable to get a higher offer, or get stocks or options, but I did negotiate a cash signing bonus.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Cisco Systems.

I was contacted by a staffing agency about the position in CISCO, RTP. The initial round with CISCO was a webex call, but due to some issues with my internet connection, I couldn't take up the Webex and the Manager has called me on my mobile and it was 1:1 phone interview asking me to rate myself on Java and if I had any Linux experience. Asked If I have any usage of SQL and GIT. And asked about my expertise.

Got the result in 4 days, and the next round was with a panel of 7 members. 1 team member escorted to the meeting room and excused himself saying there is a priority. So it was a 6 member panel interview which went real smooth. There was no White Board coding. Asked so many questions from my resume like what was my contribution, Did I code any functionality from scratch... It was basically projecting yourself exactly the way your resume talks. This round was like a behavioral kinda as well - What challenges I faced. Finally 1 technical question was asked in Java - Difference b/w Interface and Abstract Class.

Interview Questions
    • I was an ex employee of Oracle. So asked me what disadvantages I had working with Oracle DB. This was an unexpected question.   Answer Question
    No negotiation as I was a contractor and I know my pay rate per hour.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems.

applied via college recruiting process.
    overall process took 2 - 3 weeks
    interview screening via phone.
    face to face interview with 6 lead engineers (45 mins each)
    face to face with the VP
    Met the team.
    HR manager and negotiations started.

Strict

Software Engineer Interview

Submitted my resume and was called back for an interview. Was only a sophomore and he asked questions that were beyond my coding experience. These included stuff about speeding up a program and how to refer to its stackframe. Could have killed it if i came more prepared.