Cisco Systems Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 24, 2015

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Cisco Systems.

Interview

Contacted by recruiter and had a 30 minute talk. Went on to have a phone interview which was a technical programming interview. Some basic computational problem. Went onsite and had 4 hours of interviews including architectural design and programming.

Interview Questions

• Asked me to describe how computers work at a high and low level, as well as design a REST API for a complete system   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Cisco Systems

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Cisco Systems (Columbia, MD) in June 2015.

Interview

It was a long interview - almost take a whole day. First, the recruiter let me in the building, order lunch for me. Then group leader had a overall talk, then 2 tech guys come with tech interview - in very detail. Talking with HM is the last step.

Interview Questions

• Working experiences, working habits, programming, project experiences, family status, ....   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Cisco Systems.

Interview

WORST interview experience ever. It started with a referral for application level position. Got an email requesting time for phone interview. After, deciding that got call from the same engineer that they have to fill the requistion so you will have to come onsite this week. So I rescheduled other interviews and went for the interview. When I reached the building my point of contact was not reachable. I waited in the lobby for 15 minutes and a gentleman from completely different team came and said I will interview you for my team. So from application team to a low level embedded team, what a jump. One of the interview asked me what is the balanced tree. I started explaining about the height and how difference in the height gets to the balanced tree. I was shocked to learn that interviewer's definition of balanced tree was a binary search tree. After explaining the interviewer and interviewer searching on the web for 5 minutes said there are these two definitions of the balanced tree and let's move on. One interviewer was very rigid about the hash chaining implementation. They wanted specific answers to specific questions rather than the thought process. The whole process was wierd.

Interview Questions

• Question whether the binary tree is balanced?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Cisco Systems.

Interview

Hard interview, asked in depth questions about operating system internals and obscure data structures. Disconnect between what was posted on the listing and what the actual interview questions covered. Other than the questions the interviewers were nice and courteous. If I had expected questions on object oriented programming I would have done better.

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Cisco Systems (San Diego, CA).

Interview

First one with hiring manager, second with technical manager. They were both phone interviews. The first went well, but the second was terrible. I was told that it would take about half an hour and it ended up being over two. I felt like I was just being read a list of words to see if I could define. Kept being asked oop questions even though I kept mentioning my strength was in functional programming. I felt sort of mocked at the end, like no matter what I said it would be incorrect

Interview Questions

• Awful, 1hour+ of questions ranging from ood principles to Linux to c++/c to networks to Python. Also got asked what books I read to "keep current"   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I initially got an interview through an employee referral and interviewed with a senior engineering manager of an ASIC design team. The manager asked me about various things about the C++ programming language as well as my knowledge about scripting and VLSI. He also tested me on my problem solving and communication skills in an engineering setting in general.

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied to the interview through university recruiting. Cisco invited me to an interview. The entire interview was behavioural and at the end was told that this would be the final interview. I was quite shocked there was no technical side, came as both a shock and concern. After two weeks i get a email requesting to touch back. They asked whether I would be fine doing a test validation position instead. I declined, saying that I only was looking for software development.

Interview Questions

• Please explain your resume?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Cisco Systems.

Interview

Started with phone interview from hiring manager, and 4 webex technical interviews. All interviews were technical, involving data structures, algorithms, object oriented programming and web services, and some problem solving questions

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Cisco Systems.

Interview

hand in resume on career fair and get the interview invitation in a week then campus interview. Alternate behavior question and basic bit munipulate question for 30 mins. Paper coding and some concept explain

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Cisco Systems.

Interview

Applied at Campus Career Fair, got an email next day to schedule an interview on campus. The process was fairly simple. They mostly focus on behavioral questions and your resume which are pretty easy to tackle. Since I had no prior work experience they asked me some basic networking questions. Interview lasted about 40 minutes after which in about 2 weeks they sent me an offer.