Cisco Systems

Updated Jan 20, 2015
Updated Jan 20, 2015

170 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems.

A friend who worked at Cisco suggested I apply for the position. I applied through the website.

A phone pre-screen with the internal recruiter was first, followed by a programming exercise that was done at home, followed by an in-person interview.

I was told by the recruiter that there was a hard time limit for the exercise, but later the hiring manager told me that there was not, and I should finish the exercise which I had left incomplete due to time constraints.

The recruiter was very slow getting back to me. I was able to reach out to the hiring manager to prompt more action from the recruiter. The interview went well, and the group and I got along well.

Eventually an offer was made. I asked if I could get more, and eventually got a cash signing bonus.

Interview Questions
I was unable to get a higher offer, or get stocks or options, but I did negotiate a cash signing bonus.

Other Interview Reviews for Cisco Systems

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Cisco Systems.

I was contacted by a staffing agency about the position in CISCO, RTP. The initial round with CISCO was a webex call, but due to some issues with my internet connection, I couldn't take up the Webex and the Manager has called me on my mobile and it was 1:1 phone interview asking me to rate myself on Java and if I had any Linux experience. Asked If I have any usage of SQL and GIT. And asked about my expertise.

Got the result in 4 days, and the next round was with a panel of 7 members. 1 team member escorted to the meeting room and excused himself saying there is a priority. So it was a 6 member panel interview which went real smooth. There was no White Board coding. Asked so many questions from my resume like what was my contribution, Did I code any functionality from scratch... It was basically projecting yourself exactly the way your resume talks. This round was like a behavioral kinda as well - What challenges I faced. Finally 1 technical question was asked in Java - Difference b/w Interface and Abstract Class.

Interview Questions
    • I was an ex employee of Oracle. So asked me what disadvantages I had working with Oracle DB. This was an unexpected question.   Answer Question
    No negotiation as I was a contractor and I know my pay rate per hour.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems.

applied via college recruiting process.
    overall process took 2 - 3 weeks
    interview screening via phone.
    face to face interview with 6 lead engineers (45 mins each)
    face to face with the VP
    Met the team.
    HR manager and negotiations started.

Strict

Software Engineer Interview

Submitted my resume and was called back for an interview. Was only a sophomore and he asked questions that were beyond my coding experience. These included stuff about speeding up a program and how to refer to its stackframe. Could have killed it if i came more prepared.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Cisco Systems.

I went to the career fair and got an phone interview in couple of weeks. The interview is half behavior and half technical. The interviewer asked me some questions based on my resume including detailed knowledge in networks.

Interview Questions
    • asked me some detailed knowledge about the networks.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Got an on-campus interview scheduled through the school.
    Since it was a full time entry position, had two senior software engineering interviewing me in a room.
    Asked some basic questions on the resume.
    Asked what my favorite language was and OO concepts. What is good about it and how it is powerful compared to others. What 'static' variables meant.
    Programming questions like: code in java for binary search. reverse a double linked nodes.

Software Engineer Interview

Simple standard steps for programming language of C. Unix internal IPC communication mechanics
    Bit operation and general networking protocols basic.
    45 min each of 4 people interview in one afternoon long.
    Link list and pointers and structures in C

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems in October 2014.

It's SourceFire in Baltimore. There is a phone interview and code assignment before onsite. All about C question like tell output, find bug. This company is doing network security so must prepare C coding and network question

Interview Questions
    • what will happen when use strtoken in multithreading environment   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cisco Systems.

I was directly called for an onsite interview. Couple of guys asked programming questions on the board. They were usually hard questions. The interviewers were friendly guys from different nations. The whole process took about 2 hours.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Cisco Systems in September 2014.

I was asked a technical question on Machine Learning during the recruiting at a Career Fair straight away while reviewing my Resume. The question was on the possibility of separating houses for a Realtor into various clusters. I answered the question by proposing a Decision Tree (ID3 Algorithm) or a Linear Separator, depending on the number of features that the test data had.
    I then was offered a phone interview, where I was a standard question regarding Data Structures and Algorithms. (Can't spit out the details, sorry).

Interview Questions
    • The question regarding the Data Structures was difficult because at best I could get a run-time of O(kn), or O(nlog(n)), but that wasn't close enough to O(n), which is what they wanted.   Answer Question