Cisco Systems Systems Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Aug 10, 2014

3.5

24 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Systems Engineer Interview

Oversee development and maintenance of computer systems.
Identify departmental needs and make suggestions regarding technical direction.
Set up organization's intranets.
Design and implement system security and data assurance.
Configure and install computer systems for other organizations.
Design and develop software.
Test software applications and systems.
Develop different types of software, including computer games, business applications, operating systems, network control systems, and middleware.
Apply knowledge of computing systems and software structure.
Analyze users' needs.
Create flowcharts, diagrams, and other documentation.
Create manuals and detailed sets of instructions including algorithms that tell computers what to do.
Convert instructions into computer languages.

Other Interview Reviews for Cisco Systems

Systems Engineer Interview

Helpful, plenty of questions, two interviews. Phone and on site. Then it was group interviews, multiple math questions and it was 3 hours long. Got an answer after four months and got a tour in San jose

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Cisco Systems in February 2013.

intial was 2 technical phone interviews and then 2 hiring managers.

Interview Questions
    • when transferring file from 1 server to another server over WAN speed decreases over time but again when you start new session speed is very fast and decrease to the end. what's your approach to solve this problem?   View Answer
    none.

System Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems in January 2013.

Initial contact was via employee referral. First conducted a phone interview with the SE manager which resulted in pretty standard questions. Whats your background, why does this position interest you and why do you think you would be a good fit. Second round of interviews was a WebEx with two other SE's on the team for the tech eval. On the outset of the call when they asked my strengths and weaknesses I told them stronger in Route/Switch and security, weaker in VOIP and telepresence. Most questions were standard CCNA / CCNP fair. What is Spanning Tree, explain MPLS, what are the different parts of an 802.1x deployment. Then they asked how I would prepare a presentation technical / benefit presentation of a new VOIP deployment. I know one of the VOIP engineers on the team, and I said that I would leverage his experience and knowledge. Nothing was exceedingly difficult or particularly unexpected. I actually enjoyed the tech eval, and had fun chatting with the other SE's on the team. They did an excellent job of making it very informal, and just more of a conversation. Moved on to final round which was a meet and greet with the AM's on the team. This felt more like a getting to know you, and make sure personalities meshed well. The narrowed down to two finalists, a CCIE and myself. They ended up selecting the other candidate. The process was relatively long, but everyone I dealt with was exceptionally friendly and professional. I would definitely consider applying for another position down the road.

Interview Questions
    • How does a Riverbed Stealhead WAN acceleration opttimize traffic?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Cisco Systems in May 2012.

8 face to face interviews with other SEs on the team and upper management

Interview Questions
    • What is Cisco's value in the collaboration space in comparison to competitors?   Answer Question
    nothing

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Cisco Systems in November 2011.

Got interview from UCLA career fair for a systems engineer position. Interview was pretty standard. Broken up into Personal questions regarding background and experience, behavioral questions, a technical question, and a mock sales interview.

Interview Questions
    • What is an example of when you had a problem with a team or group member and how did you resolve the problem?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cisco Systems in October 2011.

The interview takes place on Webex. Cisco's webcam/teleconferencing service. You interview you with a current ASE. The interview is very difficult if you are not from an engineering background, which was my case. They ask questions about some general networking concepts like how a router works, what cloud computing is and other concepts. They also want you to know a lot about the difference services that Cisco provides. Really study up on Cisco. Be honest and if you don't know the answer, don't fake it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems in October 2010.

There was an initial phone interview with an engineer that asked a few questions about my resume and technical skills. We chatted about the position and if I was interested, I was, he explained the interview process and gave me some materials I should read up on.

There was another phone screen with an engineer that was about 15 minutes long. I passed and got an in person interview

I met with 4 employees total including the manager. I was asked to solve a simple programming problem on the white board while the interviewer grabbed some coffee. After that I was quizzed on my technical abilities including Linux commands, architecture, networking, osi model, etc..

Interview Questions
    • How would you test that a serial port is sending/receiving data?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Cisco Systems in June 2010.

Be prepared for lots of interviews and know your stuff. The hiring process is lengthy, so don't expect a quick response.

Systems Engineer Interview

Fresh Graduate interview for around 5 rounds and screening is based on your education background and assessment in written and case. The final round is a assessment center with couple of case scenarios with cisco related technology.