Cisco Systems

Average Difficulty
22 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Cisco Systems

Interview Details – Helpful, plenty of questions, two interviews. Phone and on site. Then it was group interviews, multiple math questions and it was 3 hours long. Got an answer after four months and got a tour in San jose

Interview Question – Math tech questions   Answer Question

Denver, CO

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Cisco Systems in June 2010.

Interview Details – Be prepared for lots of interviews and know your stuff. The hiring process is lengthy, so don't expect a quick response.

Interview Question – When will you have your CCIE if you don't already.   Answer Question

Irvine, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Cisco Systems in May 2012.

Interview Details – 8 face to face interviews with other SEs on the team and upper management

Interview Question – What is Cisco's value in the collaboration space in comparison to competitors?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – nothing

San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Cisco Systems in February 2013.

Interview Details – intial was 2 technical phone interviews and then 2 hiring managers.

Interview Question – when transferring file from 1 server to another server over WAN speed decreases over time but again when you start new session speed is very fast and decrease to the end. what's your approach to solve this problem?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – none.

System Engineer Interview

System Engineer
Herndon, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Cisco Systems in January 2013.

Interview Details – Initial contact was via employee referral. First conducted a phone interview with the SE manager which resulted in pretty standard questions. Whats your background, why does this position interest you and why do you think you would be a good fit. Second round of interviews was a WebEx with two other SE's on the team for the tech eval. On the outset of the call when they asked my strengths and weaknesses I told them stronger in Route/Switch and security, weaker in VOIP and telepresence. Most questions were standard CCNA / CCNP fair. What is Spanning Tree, explain MPLS, what are the different parts of an 802.1x deployment. Then they asked how I would prepare a presentation technical / benefit presentation of a new VOIP deployment. I know one of the VOIP engineers on the team, and I said that I would leverage his experience and knowledge. Nothing was exceedingly difficult or particularly unexpected. I actually enjoyed the tech eval, and had fun chatting with the other SE's on the team. They did an excellent job of making it very informal, and just more of a conversation. Moved on to final round which was a meet and greet with the AM's on the team. This felt more like a getting to know you, and make sure personalities meshed well. The narrowed down to two finalists, a CCIE and myself. They ended up selecting the other candidate. The process was relatively long, but everyone I dealt with was exceptionally friendly and professional. I would definitely consider applying for another position down the road.

Interview Question – How does a Riverbed Stealhead WAN acceleration opttimize traffic?   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Cisco Systems in November 2011.

Interview Details – Got interview from UCLA career fair for a systems engineer position. Interview was pretty standard. Broken up into Personal questions regarding background and experience, behavioral questions, a technical question, and a mock sales interview.

Interview Question – What is an example of when you had a problem with a team or group member and how did you resolve the problem?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Raleigh, NC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Cisco Systems in October 2011.

Interview Details – The interview takes place on Webex. Cisco's webcam/teleconferencing service. You interview you with a current ASE. The interview is very difficult if you are not from an engineering background, which was my case. They ask questions about some general networking concepts like how a router works, what cloud computing is and other concepts. They also want you to know a lot about the difference services that Cisco provides. Really study up on Cisco. Be honest and if you don't know the answer, don't fake it.

Interview Questions

Santa Clara, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cisco Systems in October 2010.

Interview Details – There was an initial phone interview with an engineer that asked a few questions about my resume and technical skills. We chatted about the position and if I was interested, I was, he explained the interview process and gave me some materials I should read up on.

There was another phone screen with an engineer that was about 15 minutes long. I passed and got an in person interview

I met with 4 employees total including the manager. I was asked to solve a simple programming problem on the white board while the interviewer grabbed some coffee. After that I was quizzed on my technical abilities including Linux commands, architecture, networking, osi model, etc..

Interview Question – How would you test that a serial port is sending/receiving data?   View Answer

Systems Engineer

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cisco Systems.

Interview Details – I had 4 rounds all technical

Interview Question – nothing that I can think of   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – they offered what I asked, since I had a required skills they were looking

Systems Engineer

I applied online - interviewed at Cisco Systems in March 2010.

Interview Details – it tooks 3 weeks go the interview and arrangement.

Interview Question – your experience and background investigation   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – it was far Area,

Worked for Cisco Systems? Contribute to the Community!