Cisco Systems Systems Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 1, 2015

3.6

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Cisco Systems (Boston, MA) in April 2015.

Interview

The interview was difficult. It began with a MCQ sheet of 20 questions based on networking. It consisted of fill in the blanks, match the following and MCQs. Later after this is was a 1:1 interview.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Cisco Systems

Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Cisco Systems.

Interview

Went to four rounds of interview: hiring manage, peers, and on-site with multiple interviewers. I applied through an university career site, received the a contacts in ~3months. Then, I was scheduled to interview with a HM which gone over various background, few technical questions follow with another phone interview with a peer. Finally, 2 weeks later, receive another invite for an onsite.

Systems Engineer Interview

Interview

Oversee development and maintenance of computer systems.
    Identify departmental needs and make suggestions regarding technical direction.
    Set up organization's intranets.
    Design and implement system security and data assurance.
    Configure and install computer systems for other organizations.
    Design and develop software.
    Test software applications and systems.
    Develop different types of software, including computer games, business applications, operating systems, network control systems, and middleware.
    Apply knowledge of computing systems and software structure.
    Analyze users' needs.
    Create flowcharts, diagrams, and other documentation.
    Create manuals and detailed sets of instructions including algorithms that tell computers what to do.
    Convert instructions into computer languages.

Systems Engineer Interview

Interview

Helpful, plenty of questions, two interviews. Phone and on site. Then it was group interviews, multiple math questions and it was 3 hours long. Got an answer after four months and got a tour in San jose

Anonymous Employee in Rosemont, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems (Rosemont, IL) in March 2014.

Interview

After the HR phone screen, the hiring process consisted of a half of a day of 30-45 minute interviews. I went to a local Cisco office and sat in a conference room. I was interviewed by people ranging from other current Systems Engineers to Account Managers to the managers of both aforementioned teams.

Interview Questions

• Say you are in a medium sized hospital with no existing network. How would you recommend they set up their network?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems (Columbia, SC) in July 2013.

Interview

The interview process involved a series of three interviews. The initial interview was conducted by the area manager, whom I spoke with 2 different times throughout the process. The second and third interviews were with other Cisco Systems Engineers in the nearby regions.

Both systems engineers were very thorough in the scope of their questions. They covered Security, Voice technologies, Routing and Switching, and Data Center technologies.

Ultimately I wasn't chosen for the position, but I believe it was due to the location. The position was to be based in Charleston SC, and I don't live locally. I believe the person chosen was a better match in terms of location.

Interview Questions

• What is the advantage of using VSS?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in February 2013.

Interview

intial was 2 technical phone interviews and then 2 hiring managers.

Interview Questions

• when transferring file from 1 server to another server over WAN speed decreases over time but again when you start new session speed is very fast and decrease to the end. what's your approach to solve this problem?   2 Answers

Negotiation

none.

System Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems (Herndon, VA) in January 2013.

Interview

Initial contact was via employee referral. First conducted a phone interview with the SE manager which resulted in pretty standard questions. Whats your background, why does this position interest you and why do you think you would be a good fit. Second round of interviews was a WebEx with two other SE's on the team for the tech eval. On the outset of the call when they asked my strengths and weaknesses I told them stronger in Route/Switch and security, weaker in VOIP and telepresence. Most questions were standard CCNA / CCNP fair. What is Spanning Tree, explain MPLS, what are the different parts of an 802.1x deployment. Then they asked how I would prepare a presentation technical / benefit presentation of a new VOIP deployment. I know one of the VOIP engineers on the team, and I said that I would leverage his experience and knowledge. Nothing was exceedingly difficult or particularly unexpected. I actually enjoyed the tech eval, and had fun chatting with the other SE's on the team. They did an excellent job of making it very informal, and just more of a conversation. Moved on to final round which was a meet and greet with the AM's on the team. This felt more like a getting to know you, and make sure personalities meshed well. The narrowed down to two finalists, a CCIE and myself. They ended up selecting the other candidate. The process was relatively long, but everyone I dealt with was exceptionally friendly and professional. I would definitely consider applying for another position down the road.

Interview Questions

• How does a Riverbed Stealhead WAN acceleration opttimize traffic?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Cisco Systems (Irvine, CA) in May 2012.

Interview

8 face to face interviews with other SEs on the team and upper management

Interview Questions

• What is Cisco's value in the collaboration space in comparison to competitors?   Answer Question

Negotiation

nothing

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Cisco Systems (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2011.

Interview

Got interview from UCLA career fair for a systems engineer position. Interview was pretty standard. Broken up into Personal questions regarding background and experience, behavioral questions, a technical question, and a mock sales interview.

Interview Questions

• What is an example of when you had a problem with a team or group member and how did you resolve the problem?   Answer Question