Citadel Interview Questions

Updated Aug 31, 2015

3.2

FTAP Interview

Interview

Two phone interviews, first HR, second Technical. One on site interview

Technologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Citadel (Chicago, IL) in February 2014.

Interview

If you go into a Citadel interview, notice how they will not tell you how long it will be prior to the interview. If you do well, you get to go through 7 rounds of people (how fun). If you get walked out after 1-2 interviews, know that you didn’t make the cut. Many of the interviewers keep asking the same questions as the previous ones asked, which is ridiculous. They then ask you to write all your code on the white board (hello, get with the times here and ask someone to type the code out which is what they are used to doing!) They ask some brain teaser type questions to try to trip you up as well as well instead of practical every day solutions. It’s a big ego trip to say the least and each interviewer just wants to prove how smart he/she is and try to make you look like an idiot. The questions are very esoteric to say the least as well. Unless you are some kind of savant who memorizes command lines or syntax in your sleep versus someone that can just Google the information should you even need to, you may not do very well in this type of interview.

Interview Questions

• How many hours per week can you work, including weekends?   1 Answer

I didn't sense there was any work/life balance at all.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Citadel (Chicago, IL) in February 2014.

Interview

one round on-campus, one round on-site

Interview Questions

• Few algorithm problems. Instead of many skill tests and IQ tests.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Citadel (Chicago, IL).

Interview

First interview with team; second interview with mid-level management.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Did not negotiate. Intern.

Storage Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Citadel (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Plan on a whole day and make sure you know your stuff.

Interview Questions

• Why do some data centers use DC power v. AC?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I worked with a recruiter and the experience was terrible. The recruiter did not look out for my best interests and undercut the salary.

Fixed Income Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Citadel.

Interview

Applied through my university's career center. Had two back-to-back on campus interviews - one with someone from hr, and another with a trader. My first one was with the hr person, and it was just the standard collection of behavioral questions. Nothing too interesting. The second one with the trader surprised me by also being very behavioral. We basically just chatted about Citadel and fixed income trading in general. I thought it went really well, but I soon received an email saying that I would not advance to the next round.

Financial Technology Associate Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I interviewed at Citadel (Chicago, IL) in December 2013.

Interview

I was connected at our school job fair conference, and got an on-campus interview during their visit. The interview was not difficult, one simple coding problem, one probability problem, and one brain teaser. They invited me on-site to interview at Chicago. Overall I had talked to 3 people (2 technical interviews and 1 just talking). The questions were not hard, but you never know what candidates they are looking for.

Interview Questions

• Given some coins, how do u flip them to make sure all the coin have the same sides. Some basic knowledge on distributed system.   Answer Question

Financial Technology Associate Interview

Interview

Apply through university career service. First round on campus interviews: 30min behavior + 30 min tech back to back. 2 - 3 questions during tech part, mostly C++

Quantitative Research Analyst Interview

Interview

I was told to have a campus interview. Most of them are c++ questions. Some of them are about derivatives. It was not hard.

Interview Questions

• All the questions are trivial. One example would be reversing a string.   Answer Question

Quantitative Research Summer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Citadel in November 2013.

Interview

I was connected before their on-campus info session, and got an on-campus interview during their visit. After two weeks, they invite me on-site to interview at Chicago. Overall I have talked to about 4-5 quants, and they are all nice and smart people. Nothing unusual about the interview questions, just like most companies in this industry.