Citi Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Aug 21, 2014
Updated Aug 21, 2014

35 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Citi in October 2008.

Very behavioral-heavy. Interviewers are usually mean and will do "stress-tests" as well. Be prepared to show humility, your experiences working in teams, and why you are interested in a specific line of business. Citigroup hiring consists of an interview on campus (may be with one or two people), a superday that has tons of interviews. Be nice. Don't be mean.

Other Interview Reviews for Citi

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Citi in June 2010.

Applied online for an IT position, then was called by recruiter to set up phone interview. Phone interview lasted 30 minutes and was detailed. Next was an interview with hiring manager. From initial contact to 1:1 interview was span of 3 weeks. If you make it past the hiring manager interview (1 hour), you will have at least 2 more interviews with team members and then the head of the department.

Interview Questions
    • Talk to me about a project you were on that failed or did not meet expectations.   View Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Citi in November 2009.

In about 3 weeks after applying got an e-mail requesting additional information about high school grades. Then received a link to online test to be completed within 5 days. After that got a rejection.

Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Citi in October 2008.

I went through college recruiting. Round 1 consisted of a half hour interview with a senior person based on knowledge of finance related things. If you make it to Round 2, you go to a "super day" where your entire morning/afternoon consists of a 5-6 round robin one on one interviews with various people in the group.

Interview Questions
    No, it was the same level as all other competitive banks.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Citi in December 2011.

The company usually visits the premier campuses in the country for its analytics center in bangalore. In IITM it started with an IQ test followed by three rounds of interviews comprising mainly puzzles and guesstimates. The final round was the HR round. They expect you to have a structured way of thinking, strong communication skills and the ability to perform under pressure.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me a question in which I had to use functions in Excel and also asked me if I had any coding knowledge   View Answer
    There is usually no such phase when you are being hired for the entry postion right after you graduate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Citi in October 2013.

I initially found the job posting through my campus career center and submitted a cover letter and resume in early September of my senior year. An alumnus of my college who works at Citi Private Bank came in to the career center in early October and interviewed a few of the applicants, including myself. We didn't get any feedback from the college or Citi until a week after the initial interview when four of us were invited to New York for the final round, which took place two weeks later on a Friday. The following Monday, the HR department got back to us with their decisions.

Interview Questions
    • If you had a client who ran a company that makes shoelaces and who doesn't know about anything except the shoelace business (i.e. he knows nothing about personal investments), how would you recommend he invest his money and why?   View Answer
    • If you were to get this job and then look back in five or ten years, why wouldn't you think it was a waste of your time?   View Answer
    There was no negotiation. They make a standard offer to all of their first-year analysts and it is very much a take-it-or-leave-it situation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Citi.

Jobs posted on Citi website. Apply for postings. Depending on the need or if you know someone, it may be weeks before HR calls you if both they and the hiring manager would like you to be interviewed. Depening on department, interviews could involve multiple people or multiple visits. It may take weeks after the interview to hear back from HR--even if you send follow up emails. After an offer is excepted, it takes a few more weeks to get pre-employment work done and then another few weeks to get all system access that is required.

Interview Questions
    • What do you hope to gain from Citi if you were to be offered a position?   Answer Question
    It took some time to negotiate and it has to go through a few levels of management as it is budget-related. Unless you have valid reasons to request an increase it will be denied. THey usually only counter offer about $2K more than original with reason.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Citi in December 2010.

CitiGroup came to our campus in december 2010, it consists of 4 eliminative rounds in total including written, one 1:1 interview, one group interview, one telephonic interview with HR.

44 appeared for the written

Written: It was a bit easy. if you have good analytical skills, you can crack it easily. it consists mainly aptitude, tech, verbal questions.

out of 44, 14 shortlisted.

1:1 interview: 3 people came for the recruiting process- a Vice president, a Manager and a Senior Analyst.
    this will be little like checking your comfortability, analysing skills, communication etc for 10 min.

out of 14, 6 shortlisted.

Group/ Tech interview: this one is all about your technical details with all the three as interviewers who checked mostly in SQL, DBMS, OOPS and your area of interests. this went for around 45 min.

out of 6, 1 shortlisted. (they had 2 more rounds for another guy to confirm that guy is good or not. but not able satisfy them i guess).

Telephonic: This is just for formality. one HR was asking about my background details and checking whether i will be stick to that job or jumping over.

Finally 1(I) got selected.

Interview Questions
    • they asked deep details of database management system like locking system indexing,...   View Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Citi in October 2010.

Gone through interviews by two senior guys and answered normal questions. They rely alot on feel of how interviewers answer questions. It is kind of fuzzy because 2 years down the road i became the hirer for the team.

Interview Questions
    • If you are in a position that you had to make a difficult decision , one involving shutting the system and closing everything down but prevent any further losses and second is to keep the system up but have trading losses clocking in while the IT guys sort the issue out.   View Answer
    no negotiation . take it or leave it

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Citi in January 2010.

1) Phone call - all behavioral
    2) In-person Interview - all behavoiral

Interview Questions
    • What are some examples that demonstrates your perseverance?   Answer Question