Citi Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Feb 14, 2015
Updated Feb 14, 2015

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Citi in October 2008.

Very behavioral-heavy. Interviewers are usually mean and will do "stress-tests" as well. Be prepared to show humility, your experiences working in teams, and why you are interested in a specific line of business. Citigroup hiring consists of an interview on campus (may be with one or two people), a superday that has tons of interviews. Be nice. Don't be mean.

Other Interview Reviews for Citi

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Citi in June 2010.

Applied online for an IT position, then was called by recruiter to set up phone interview. Phone interview lasted 30 minutes and was detailed. Next was an interview with hiring manager. From initial contact to 1:1 interview was span of 3 weeks. If you make it past the hiring manager interview (1 hour), you will have at least 2 more interviews with team members and then the head of the department.

Interview Questions
    • Talk to me about a project you were on that failed or did not meet expectations.   View Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Citi in November 2009.

In about 3 weeks after applying got an e-mail requesting additional information about high school grades. Then received a link to online test to be completed within 5 days. After that got a rejection.

Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Citi in October 2008.

I went through college recruiting. Round 1 consisted of a half hour interview with a senior person based on knowledge of finance related things. If you make it to Round 2, you go to a "super day" where your entire morning/afternoon consists of a 5-6 round robin one on one interviews with various people in the group.

Interview Questions
    No, it was the same level as all other competitive banks.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Citi in December 2011.

The company usually visits the premier campuses in the country for its analytics center in bangalore. In IITM it started with an IQ test followed by three rounds of interviews comprising mainly puzzles and guesstimates. The final round was the HR round. They expect you to have a structured way of thinking, strong communication skills and the ability to perform under pressure.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me a question in which I had to use functions in Excel and also asked me if I had any coding knowledge   View Answer
    There is usually no such phase when you are being hired for the entry postion right after you graduate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Citi in October 2013.

I initially found the job posting through my campus career center and submitted a cover letter and resume in early September of my senior year. An alumnus of my college who works at Citi Private Bank came in to the career center in early October and interviewed a few of the applicants, including myself. We didn't get any feedback from the college or Citi until a week after the initial interview when four of us were invited to New York for the final round, which took place two weeks later on a Friday. The following Monday, the HR department got back to us with their decisions.

Interview Questions
    • If you had a client who ran a company that makes shoelaces and who doesn't know about anything except the shoelace business (i.e. he knows nothing about personal investments), how would you recommend he invest his money and why?   View Answer
    • If you were to get this job and then look back in five or ten years, why wouldn't you think it was a waste of your time?   View Answer
    There was no negotiation. They make a standard offer to all of their first-year analysts and it is very much a take-it-or-leave-it situation.

Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Citi.

it is on campus interview with aptitude at first followed by 4 interview. 2 technical, 1 HR and then final panel with 5 manger including HR. Technical was mostly presence of mind and statistical knowledge test. HR was behavioral and panel was stress testing

Interview Questions
    • tell me how much amount one of the interviewer carrying in panel interview? you are allowed to ask 10 question but not any direct question   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in College Station, TX
    Anonymous Employee in College Station, TX

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Citi.

standard 30 minutes on campus interview followed by an onsite interview at the Irving office. questions from the interview were basically the typical interpersonal questions (tell me about yourself, greatest challenge, why did you choose the your major, openness to travel, what motivates you, what makes you the best fit for the company...this is followed by an opportunity to ask the interviewer some questions)

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warsaw (Poland)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warsaw (Poland)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Citi in November 2014.

First 2 tests online: analytical and verbal; than after successfully passing got invited for 2 more tests in the office - English test with open questions(as well about my motivation and what is AML analyst work is) for 45 min and very short observation test. Few days after tests got a phone interview (30-40 min) with HR specialist (both in English and Polish), standard questions plus "describe a situation" questions. The next day got positive feedback and invitation for interview with team-leader, which was scheduled for the next day. Also questions about experience, skills, why Citi and what I know about AML (both in English and Polish). After conversation team-leader confirmed my candidature and I went for 10-15 minutes conversation with manager, who exactly after confirmed that I'll hired. All new candidates in Citi Service Center in Warsaw starting on 1st or 15th day of the month.

Interview Questions
    • one small analytical case for 5 min - like to assume how many people use Warsaw metro per day.   View Answer
    No negotiation at this stage

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Citi.

Jobs posted on Citi website. Apply for postings. Depending on the need or if you know someone, it may be weeks before HR calls you if both they and the hiring manager would like you to be interviewed. Depening on department, interviews could involve multiple people or multiple visits. It may take weeks after the interview to hear back from HR--even if you send follow up emails. After an offer is excepted, it takes a few more weeks to get pre-employment work done and then another few weeks to get all system access that is required.

Interview Questions
    • What do you hope to gain from Citi if you were to be offered a position?   Answer Question
    It took some time to negotiate and it has to go through a few levels of management as it is budget-related. Unless you have valid reasons to request an increase it will be denied. THey usually only counter offer about $2K more than original with reason.