Citi

Average Difficulty
33 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Citi.

Interview Details – Applied online and contacted by HR via email. This was followed by a phone interview with HR and two rounds of interviews with various Directors and Vice Presidents. The process took almost 7 weeks, but was delayed due to external circumstances.

Overall the interviews were standard items: walkthrough of resume, behavioral questions, and some technical questions. There were some additional questions on my fit with the team because I did not have prior experience in the financial services industry.

Interview Question – Why would we hire you, someone with no prior experience in financial services, over another candidate with experience in financial services?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Citi in January 2010.

Interview Details – Incredibly quick interview process, flew in the morning, had 3 one on one interviews with mid-senior level professionals and received an offer the next day

Interview Questions

• why do you think the financial crisis happened?   Answer Question
  • if i were a supplier of these office chairs, what would i be concerned about?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – n/a

Very Easy Interview

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Citi in October 2010.

Interview Details – Fairly standard bulge bracket investment banking interview. Technical questions were significantly easier than most banks - focusing on very basic things like "What is a DCF" or "How would you value a company" without digging into the details. Seemed like there was a huge emphasis on "Why Citi".

Be prepared to understand why you want the job and be able to express how much you want it. Citi seems to be focused more on people and not preparation (i.e. "fit" questions and not technical questions), so it's significantly easier than most interviews so long as you have a good narrative.

Interview Question – What separates Citi from other bulge bracket investment banks?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Not a top tier BB bank, and their business seems to be in lux. Perhaps if their outlook improves it might be a good place to start.

Tampa, FL

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Citi in December 2010.

Interview Details – hour long discussion with department head, several aptitude/skills tests, fingerprinting and drug test

Interview Question – what achievement are you most proud of?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Citi in June 2010.

Interview Details – Applied online for an IT position, then was called by recruiter to set up phone interview. Phone interview lasted 30 minutes and was detailed. Next was an interview with hiring manager. From initial contact to 1:1 interview was span of 3 weeks. If you make it past the hiring manager interview (1 hour), you will have at least 2 more interviews with team members and then the head of the department.

Interview Question – Talk to me about a project you were on that failed or did not meet expectations.   View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

New York, NY

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Citi in October 2008.

Interview Details – Very behavioral-heavy. Interviewers are usually mean and will do "stress-tests" as well. Be prepared to show humility, your experiences working in teams, and why you are interested in a specific line of business. Citigroup hiring consists of an interview on campus (may be with one or two people), a superday that has tons of interviews. Be nice. Don't be mean.

Interview Question – Show a time when you faced a challenge?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Citi

Interview Details – Hired through the undergraduate internship recruitment program. Very streamlined process. Online application followed by numerical and verbal online tests (SHL) Two rounds with initial interview and then further interviews and case studies. Focus on fit and drive rather than technicals (makes sense since Citi has a good analyst training program).

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Citi in December 2013.

Interview Details – 1 round of written interview consisting of quants and 2 case studies
one of them was a business plan the other a guestimation
this was followed by 3 rounds of exhaustive interviews
1st and 2nd round were conducted by 1 person while the last round was in front of the entire team.
the questions included technical,puzzles,quants to simple chitchat topics like favourite band and why!
there were no separate hr or technical rounds as such because all sorts of questions were asked in each round

Interview Question – do you feel confident that we shall select you? if so why?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – they had previously given us the salary structure,did not have the option of negotiating and neways they pay a lot

Singapore (Singapore)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Citi in October 2010.

Interview Details – Gone through interviews by two senior guys and answered normal questions. They rely alot on feel of how interviewers answer questions. It is kind of fuzzy because 2 years down the road i became the hirer for the team.

Interview Question – If you are in a position that you had to make a difficult decision , one involving shutting the system and closing everything down but prevent any further losses and second is to keep the system up but have trading losses clocking in while the IT guys sort the issue out.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no negotiation . take it or leave it

Mumbai (India)

I applied online and interviewed at Citi.

Interview Details – First round was an aptitude test followed by two rounds of PI.
Post that, again I was called for a third round of interview with them.
Result is awaited.