Citi

Relevance Date Difficulty

IT Graduate Associate Interview

IT Graduate Associate
Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Citi.

Interview Details – There is four stages to the interview process. The order of these are slightly varied. At the start of the day you will either do both interviews or do the aptitude test. Once you have completed one you will move onto the other.

1a) Competency Interview - A one-on-one interview with someone in a senior role. This focuses on what you stated in your CV, while also going over experience you have gained in other jobs and in education. Expect questions such as 'where have you displayed leadership'. Lasts between 30-45 minutes.

1b) Technical Interview - A one-on-one interview. This covers a wide range of technical questions, covering details you have stated in your CV. A good knowledge of technologies you have stated in your CV will leave you in good standing. Also prepare for questions such as 'How do you deal with working under pressure / close to deadlines'. Lasts between 30-45 minutes.

2) Aptitude Test - This is completed on a computer. There are 30? questions each lasting 3 minutes to answer. There is no advantage in answering the questions quickly. Once you skip/answer a question you cannot revisit it. Questions are varied and you may not get asked the same questions as others. Questions range from working out speed given distance and time, to selecting the correct pattern when told the rules for it. This does not seem to play a critical role in the interview process, as those scoring ~40-50% make it through the process.

3) Group Interview - This will be done in a meeting room where the interviewers will sit in each corner of the room. You will be given a case study and told to come up with 3 key areas to make improvements to the company in the case study. The focus of this isn't the solutions, but how you behave and act. Once the team agrees on the 3 main areas they will improve you are asked to give a presentation to the interviewers on these ideas. How this is done in up to the team.

Interview Question – State a time when asked to do something, and you weren't sure exactly what needed to be done   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – n/a

Operations Analyst Interview

Operations Analyst
Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Citi in December 2013.

Interview Details – The overall experience was very good. At the start only CV had to be submitted on-line and after closing date received an e-mail inviting me to the assessment centre. Had an option to choose between couple of days plus morning or afternoon session. All people I've met that day were lovely and tried to get everybody to relax and do our best.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected: Why Citi; what is good customer service; what I expect from the job; can I bring something to the company. Competency based: multitasking, problem solving, coping under pressure.   View Answer

Applications Support Manager Interview

Applications Support Manager
Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Citi in August 2010.

Interview Details – 2 Formal Interviews, including a technical Unix / Windows / Networking technical test. First interview involved 7 or 8 competency based questions - "Describe a time when you delivered a project to very tight timescales", for example. The second interview was with a senior manager, who was rubber stamping the opinion of the manager involved in the first interview.

Interview Question – What's your biggest challenge to date in your career..   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation was possible.

Documentation Negotiator Interview

Documentation Negotiator
Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Citi.

Interview Details – Intense 3 hour interview

Interview Question – Describe a time where you had to negotiate and influence another persons decision in the workplace   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I accepted the offer

IT Graduate Associate Interview

IT Graduate Associate
Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Citi in June 2010.

Interview Details – 2 interviews, one technical, one background and interests, 30 minute group scenario and an online IQ test

Technology Academy Interview

Technology Academy
Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Citi in December 2012.

Interview Details – The position was for new graduates especially, or for career changers who wanted to learn the ways of this company and their programming tools, to prepare them for a career at Citi or for any future software development or application support role. The job was advertised on NIJobs.com, requiring a CV and cover note. They called me one week after applying to ask a few questions about my CV, then called me a few days later to invite me to an assessment centre which was scheduled for a week later. This lasted nearly 5 hours. There was a technical test (numerical/logical reasoning questions, not specific to any job, just fun) where each of the thirty questions had a time limit of three minutes. Then there were two interviews, one technical and one about competencies. Technical interview was about technology, my educational background, the company, the job and general questions about me. The competency interview was where they asked all the "What would you do if... ?" and "Tell me about a time when... ?" type of questions. They seemed to really be looking specifically for answers in the "STAR" format, which is written about on t'internet. Finally a group exercise, where the other interviewees and I had to discuss hypothetical solutions to a fictional business problem for about 45 minutes, while some people listened and wrote things down.

On my day there were between 5 and 10 candidates present. From what I can remember, they were looking to hire a total of about 20 new people, from an unspecified number of candidates. Every employee I spoke to was very nice and the interviews were comfortable. The premises were nice too, with a front door, a ceiling and several light bulbs. Every man was wearing a suit which is the norm for an assessment centre like this, it seems.

They called a few days later to offer me the job and to say a few things about how the academy would be structured and what the salary would be. They did not require me to accept/decline right away as some companies do, permitting me to leave it for a few days if I wanted to discuss things with other potential employers, but I accepted right away. This was about a week ago.

They have yet to ask for references or evidence of qualifications, but that will probably happen in time.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you made an important decision.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It is an entry-level job, so I didn't try to negotiate. I was grateful that they would even consider thinking about maybe possibly hiring me.

Citi Technology Academy Interview

Citi Technology Academy
Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

Interview Details – Initially, Citi requests a CV and cover letter. Selected candidates are invited to an assessment centre, which takes about 5 hours. It consists of an 90 minute examination (simple math & logic problems), two 45 minute interviews (one biographical, one technical), and a team exercise (about 45 minutes). The team exercise is a timed exercise in which candidates work together to come up with a number of proposals for an imaginary company. 10 minutes is given to read the material provided for the imaginary company, and then 30 minutes to discuss and present the proposals to the assessors, who sit around the room taking notes throughout the process.

The biographical interview was quite a standard interview. Very typical questions, such as being asked to talk about occasions when you worked in a team.
Technical interview had a few technical questions, but was largely centred around exploring the candidates interests and the kind of projects, languages and technologies they have experience with.

The assessment centre allows a decision on candidates very quickly, in my case I received word a few days after the assessment centre.

Interview Question – What is polymorphism?   Answer Question

Technical Analyst Interview

Technical Analyst
Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Citi in January 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online in mid December for the same position in Dublin and Belfast after seeing the advert posted on a graduate website for the Belfast. I had to write a cover letter, complete the online application and attach my CV. The process was fast tracked and I was straight away invited to an assessment centre about a week after applying. The day before the assessment centre I got a phone call saying they had delayed the interview due to bad weather in Belfast. A new date was set in mid January which involved me flying home early from England. There was two assessment centres run on the same day consisting of 15 people in each group, I went for the later time. It went on for over 4 hours. We all arrived and put into a room where we just discussed amongst ourself until everything was set up.

They then split us into two groups one group did the interviews while the other did the test. I had disclosed I was dyslexia and wanted extra time so that I was sure I knew what the question was looking for but they called everyone else name out and left me waiting on my own for 5 minutes before I told that I was going to have a second technical interview instead with the manager of the hole dept.

The first interview was a technical interview with a very friendly manger, it was just me pretty much talking about my background and my interest in my role nothing too difficult at all. The next interview was an competency interview with a guy from the HR team again really friendly and relaxed attitude, I had prepared a few questions for this interview (Look up STAR for how to answer question) so it was really easy and he ran out of time and just flew through a few things and I didnt have time to ask him any questions. Then straight into the interview with the manger of the hold dept this was horrible, asked me questions on material I had covered 2/3 years ago in college which I could barely or could not remember. He didnt write down a lot of stuff while I was talking and made me feel really uncomfortable and felt really low about myself at that point as didnt know some of the stuff he was asking. He didnt say much and I wasnt sure if I was answering the questions correctly. Made me question myself about if I really wanted the role as well if I had to answer to someone like him.

Went back to the room and told the other candidates how horrible the interview went but no one else had him.

They split us again for the group exercise where we had to read a few pages for 10 minutes then discuss it for 30 minutes and present it at the end. The paper was on some business that did insurance on homes and cars but had major flaws in them and we had to come up with 3 ways to improve the business. My group wasnt the best and one girl kept going on and on about the same thing and wouldnt shut up. While I just agreed with two other peoples ideas and said how I though it was a good idea and came up with my own. Told the group as well we where running out of time but the same girl again would not shut up and we didnt have time to present anything.

They brought us back to the room and told us that my group was the only group that day that didnt make it to presentation but normally no one reaches the presentation stage.

Finally they set us on our way at half 6, later that week I got feedback which was actually quite positive and pretty much got full marks for both the group and competency interviews. No offer was made yet but they said they would be in touch. The next week I phone them up asking what is going on but the person I had been in contact with was out sick so was put on to someone else who didnt know too much about it. The week after that I got a email saying they are still waiting for approval but things look very positive. The following week I get a phone call saying they were finally in a position to offer me a position. Was told out of 32 people interviewed 14 had been offered positions. Its nearly a week now since that phone call and I have yet to get the contract. They are very slow at doing everything.

Applied in mid December, interview in mid January, offer in mid February and due to start in mid March.

I have also done/invited to do an online test for the Dublin office which was just figuring what came next in the sequence of shapes.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Nothing, same offer to everyone so didnt bother trying to negotiate.

Unix Administrative Interview

Unix Administrative
Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Citi in April 2008.

Interview Details – The thing that struck me was the diffidence of the organisation. I almost had to let myself out after the interview - the interview was a video conference and there was no-one local to show me around. It this is a company trying to sell itself, it failed miserably. The questions were not that technical (technical part covered during a previous aptitude test) - it was weird sitting in an empty room looking at a couple of interviewers on a TV screen. Everyone was pleasant enough, but I expect the company to try to sell itself to me, as well as the other way round - I definitely did not get that impression.

Interview Question – Give example of a situation where you went above and beyond.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Impersonal interview process and poor salary.

Worked for Citi? Contribute to the Community!