Citi Interview Questions

Updated Oct 19, 2014
Updated Oct 19, 2014

2.9

Private Banking Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Citi in October 2014.

Applied through company website + referrals. Contacted me for a phone interview. Combination of technical as well as company fit questions. Interviewer didn't seem all too interested in my answers. A couple of the more personal questions caught me off guard.

Interview Questions
    • Why private banking? What is your biggest regret? Tell me about a time you were in a group and faced a problem and how you came to a solution. How would you tell bad news to someone? Which countries would you invest in? If I were a client with $10 mill - where would you invest? What matters to you?   Answer Question

Sales & Trading Analyst Interview

Citi is known for its notoriously tough interviewers, especially in Sales and Trading. The most important thing to remember is that they are looking to see how the interviewee handles pressure. Avoiding showing frustration is positive, you should always remain calm even when they are challenging your answers or being rude/demeaning (very common!). The interviews are definitely technical, so don't bring up information during your stock pitch that you don't know backwards and forwards.

Interview Questions
    • When would have been the ideal time to buy this stock?   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Citi.

All the basic banking interview questions (valuation, walk me through your resume, etc). Spent a lot of time going through my background. Overall, not very challenging. I think others might have had different questions.

Interview Questions
    • There really were no difficult or unexpected questions. I had already been in the process elsewhere so I knew what to expect.   Answer Question

Basil III Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at Citi.

I applied for this particular position on the CITI career website using a referral link from a friend that works in this deparment. I received an initial call from HR after about a week asking about my skills and why I was interested in the position. After a 20 minute discussion with the HR rep, she advised that she would be in touch. 6 months later, I recevied a call from Citi about this position (which I almost forgot about) and the HR rep said that the department manager was ready to hire and intervieiwng quickly for the position and wanted to be bring me in ASAP to fill the role, so I setup the interview for the following week. A few days later, I recevied an email with instructions on where the building was and when to arrive, etc etc. The interview was with 2 team leads back to back and then the hiring manager in a rotational pattern with each interview lasting around 45 minutes. I spend over 3 hours on 3 different interviews on site with 3 seperate people one on one.

I was never given an offer, I didnt even receive a reject email or a callback from HR after I left the site (I did send follow up thank you letter by mail). Came to find out that they hired an older vietnam era veteran who can barely do the job. Possibly an affirmitive action military hire, but I will never know (expect this sort of stuff in big conglomerates)....

Interview Questions
    • The questions where basically about my skills and giving scenarios about work related to the position. The hiring ops manager threw a few quirky questions in like "what is your pet peeve". In my experience, the more advanced the position, the less behavioral questions you will get and more related to skills and job experience.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Initially had a phone interview with HR that was about thirty minutes, not too bad. Was called back about a week later and had interviews with three hiring managers in total that were about thirty minutes each. These were more technical and difficult. I heard back 2-3 days after that I had received an offer.

Sales & Trading Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Citi.

I reached out through my university career service portal, and was invited for an interview by HR. My first round interview was with a managing director, and we spent more time in the interview talking about how unprepared and unprofessional he found the students he was interviewing. Past that, we did spend some time covering my resume, but he was more focused on a financial background that I did not have (coming from an engineering background).

Interview Questions
    • What are the three ways to evaluate a company? Explain each in depth and when you would use each.   Answer Question

Compliance and Control Analyst Interview

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Citi.

This was the easiest interview process. I applied through a staffing agency, had an interview over the phone and then was brought in for an in-person interview in Tampa. The interview was 15 minutes at the most, the interviewer just asked about myself and why I fit the position. This was just a temporary position, but one could expect a much tougher interview process for such a large company.

Senior Equity Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Citi.

Pretty straightforward interview. Moved quickly. Recruiters were friendly and helpful. Consisted of three modeling and writing exams and meetings with another associate, the director, and the analyst I would have been working for.

Interview Questions
    • How would you estimate maximum market saturation of a national restaurant chain?   Answer Question

Corporate and Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Citi.

I applied through university program and I also networked with professionals inside the bank. I got first round phone interviews which consists of 2 interviews. Then I got invited to the super day which consists of 2 behavioral interviews and 1 technical interview. Everyone was super helpful and nice during the recruiting process.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty normal. Technical questions include free cash flows, ratio analysis, and finical statement analysis   Answer Question

Senior Vice President Audit Interview

Interviewing commences through internal job posting site. Must first clear HR, which will then pass along to the indicated area of interest. Manager reviews your resume to determine possible fit. It interested, HR will reach out to arrange interview. Interview process standard