Citi

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Getting the Interview

650 candidate interviews

Banking Analyst Interview

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Citi.

Interview Details – I prepared reading the company's most recent annual report as well as news and analyst comments on the firm. This was very benefical as many questions were around recent developments as well as regulatory proposals etc. Overall there were 2 interviews and two exercises including one case study which was pretty much as expected.

Interview Question – Explain one instance, when u made a mistake and had to escalate the problem in order to solve it   Answer Question

Technology Academy Interview

Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Citi in December 2012.

Interview Details – The position was for new graduates especially, or for career changers who wanted to learn the ways of this company and their programming tools, to prepare them for a career at Citi or for any future software development or application support role. The job was advertised on NIJobs.com, requiring a CV and cover note. They called me one week after applying to ask a few questions about my CV, then called me a few days later to invite me to an assessment centre which was scheduled for a week later. This lasted nearly 5 hours. There was a technical test (numerical/logical reasoning questions, not specific to any job, just fun) where each of the thirty questions had a time limit of three minutes. Then there were two interviews, one technical and one about competencies. Technical interview was about technology, my educational background, the company, the job and general questions about me. The competency interview was where they asked all the "What would you do if... ?" and "Tell me about a time when... ?" type of questions. They seemed to really be looking specifically for answers in the "STAR" format, which is written about on t'internet. Finally a group exercise, where the other interviewees and I had to discuss hypothetical solutions to a fictional business problem for about 45 minutes, while some people listened and wrote things down.

On my day there were between 5 and 10 candidates present. From what I can remember, they were looking to hire a total of about 20 new people, from an unspecified number of candidates. Every employee I spoke to was very nice and the interviews were comfortable. The premises were nice too, with a front door, a ceiling and several light bulbs. Every man was wearing a suit which is the norm for an assessment centre like this, it seems.

They called a few days later to offer me the job and to say a few things about how the academy would be structured and what the salary would be. They did not require me to accept/decline right away as some companies do, permitting me to leave it for a few days if I wanted to discuss things with other potential employers, but I accepted right away. This was about a week ago.

They have yet to ask for references or evidence of qualifications, but that will probably happen in time.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you made an important decision.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It is an entry-level job, so I didn't try to negotiate. I was grateful that they would even consider thinking about maybe possibly hiring me.

Summer Associate, Investment Banking Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Citi.

Interview Details – Standard on campus recruiting cycle; networking events, initial phone interview (technical questions - walk me through DCF, walk me through changes on the 3 financial statements, questions about levered Beta).

Final round interview was 2 separate interviews with 2 people each (mix of HR, senior level, and mid level). Standard "fit" questions. Much less on the technical aspect than the 1st interview. More macro / big picture type questions (industry-wide, financial crisis, etc.)

Interview Question – What is the last book you read?   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Teller Interview

Teller

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Citi.

Interview Details – I just got the phone interview with 6 questions.
1-Describe a time you went the extra mile for a customer.
2-What skill do you have as a cashier?
3-why do you want to work for citi?
4-why should we hire you?
5-Why did you leave your last job?
6-What is your ideal job?
7-Describe your duties as a cashier.
8- Describe your duties as a Costumer Service.
9-Tell me about your last job.
10- there is one more but i cant recall what the question was.

Interview Question – Describe a time where you gave excellent Costumer Service.   View Answer

Graduate Technology Analyst Interview

Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Citi in October 2012.

Interview Details – phone interview, online logical test, 2*face to face interviews, one is a case study another one it technology based study

Interview Question – case study, short time to prepare for report and presentation   Answer Question

User Experience Designer Interview

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Citi in December 2012.

Interview Details – Contacted by internal recruiter - first question was "what are you salary requirements?"
Job description was not relevant to questions asked in interview. Seemed like job was not yet clarified.

Met two people sequentially: one technology director and one designer, who was not part of the team but was helping the director with interviewing. Tech Director was very smart and pleasant, however, the Designer was very arrogant, bordering on nasty, asking questions to show off his own knowledge, rather than elicit a candidate's abilities.

Interview Question – A design term was used, which I was not familiar with, and had never heard used in financial IT departments. (Sorry, have forgotten the word now.)   View Answer

CMO, Placement Interview

London, England (UK)

I applied online - interviewed at Citi in February 2013.

Interview Details – Online application, numerical test, then final round interview.

Interview Question – They asked how to value a company using various different techniques   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Did not want to do a placement

Assistant Vice President Interview

Assistant Vice President

I applied through other source and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Citi in June 2009.

Interview Details – I received my position internally - but the positions are posted online. Generally there is a screening process with an HR recruiter, then a first interview with two senior managers. The second interview would be with the site Phones Director, and potentially a third.

Interview Question – The interview process follows the STAR method: Situation/Task, Action, Result. For me, the most difficult question was about escalating risk / taking chances because in my current environment there is not a lot of risk taking.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Internal offer, no negotiation.

Technology Analyst Interview

Technology Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Citi.

Interview Details – Got an on-campus interview call

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Citi.

Interview Details – I had a first round interview in NYC and then was flown out to SF where I had a super day that consisted of eight 30 minute interviews, interviewers ranged from analyst to managing director. Most of the interviews were pretty technical - take me through how something would affect all four accounting statements, how would an i bank manipulate the stock price of a public company they represent, you own an ice cream truck company and you are thinking of expanding the business to meet demand how would you go about figuring out whether or not you need to and by how much.

Interview Question – Tell me about some investment banking deals that you have been following in the past 6 months, also mention a merger and an acquisition that you have been following.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation phase. I was extended an offer with a contract that included pay pro rated at 70k assuming 40 hour week and overtime above and beyond that.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Citi