Citi

Updated Feb 12, 2015
Updated Feb 12, 2015

Equity Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Citi in January 2015.

First a phone interview and then a superday. Superday was 5 20-minute interviews with 4 people interviewing in the same room at the same time. The interviews were short so they asked the basic questions regarding market outlook, stock pitch, and why research was a good fit. Pretty straightforward as any other Equity Research interview process.

AML Compliance Analyst At the Financial Intelligence Unit Interview

Anonymous Employee in Long Island City, NY
    Anonymous Employee in Long Island City, NY

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Citi in November 2014.

met the Senior Vice President for AML at a Law School Job Fair ( AML Compliance Law Job Fair); I sent an email to the Senior Vice President but she did not reply; obtained an email from the Senior Vice President 3 weeks later and asked me to be interviewed in 24 hours. Appeared for interview at Long Island City One Citi Square and the interview was held with the Senior Vice President and another employee. The interview started from the entry into the elevator up until the 47th floor. The interview lasted for an hour. The interview began by exploring my Resume and later on asking me whether I knew the concept of Money Laundering. I Impressed them with two definitions and they introduced their kind of work and made mention that " an entry level position is available." They even asked me if I needed notice to give my current employer if I wanted to join them. As soon as I heard the SVP tell " the position is a TEMP position subject to 18 month probationary period, you will not be guaranteed a full time employment...." I had to decline the offer

Interview Questions
    • Behavioral question whether as a newly wed couple receiving a $20,000 wire transfer from father, could it be considered money laundering? I answered that " as a wedding gift, and presumably people get married not more than once in a lifetime, it will be considered a gift to be used to buy furnitures, things for the home and considering the prices in New York CIty, $20,000 is just enough to get by in terms of quality furniture and things for a newly married couple.   Answer Question

a temp position is offered through a temp agency; no full benefits. very deceiving way to interview since it appears that you are applying for Citigroup but Citigroup is actually outsourcing the hiring through TEMP agencies and they have the gall to call you a " consultant" but in reality its a temp job with no benefits.

Sales Trading and Quantitative Analysis Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Citi in November 2014.

Had a first round phone interview which took approx. 45 minutes. Was informed I was invited to the superday on the same day. Superday consisted of 5 interviews, 20 minutes each. Interviewers were all from different business areas/trading desks and ranged in experience levels.

Technology Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Citi in October 2014.

I applied through college and had three rounds of interview.

1. First round (on-campus): 30 mins round with questions all about my resume and projects. A lot of questions about OOP and data structures.
    2. Second round(on-site super day): Three interviews back to back in one room while other candidates were also giving interviews.Two of them going over resume and picking projects and discussing question around it. Some OOP and SQL questions too, and third interviewer with over typical HR questions about strengths ,Weakness, etc.
    After three interviews, we are given a test to solve in 1 hour.

The test had four parts:

Part I : Java coding
    Nothing too hard, go over Data Structures and OOP. Questions like:
    a. Merging two sorted list
    b. Reversing array elements
    c. Palindrome
    d. Difference between array and linked list
    e. some BST manipulations (finding element, Printing in some order)

Part II : Brain Teaser

Three brain teasers
    a. Fill 4 gallons of water with a 5 gallon and 3 gallon jugs and unlimited supply of water.
    b. Probability question : You have a score a basket to win the game. First choice, 1 shot, and has to make it one shoot. Second choice, 3 shots, any 2 needs to go in to win.Which is more profitable.

Part III: SQL

Basic SQL questions like joining tables and printing stuff.

Given a table with person Stock Purchases and a table with all Stock transaction, we were asked to print table with person stock info and all transaction. Something like that, again nothing too hard.

Part IV:

Finance questions like stocks , bonds, Risk, etc.

The Test is very lengthy, and they advised us to focus on our strengths and finish that section before moving onto another section. Everyone I talked to were not able to finish the entire test.

Third Round
    Phone interview with a manager, again went over resume & projects, and some basic OOP concepts and one problem solving-brain teaser.

I had better offers

Management Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Long Island City, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Long Island City, NY

Based on key criteria, assess what have you done, what was the situation your actions and results. Focus on complex solutions and teamwork. Side by side interviews on similar or same questions. Calibrations done afterwards

Interview Questions
    • elevator pitch answers on a number of personal or work descriptions about yourself   View Answer
    base salary and relocation

Sales & Trading Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Citi.

Very comfortable, great atmosphere. Initially recruited on-campus. Had a first round one on one interview, very easy and friendly, mainly fit questions and talked about my interest. Second round was a superday at the new york office, consisting of 5 20 min interviews

Interview Questions
    • nothing unexpected, just general questions about the market   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Citi.

The first round interview was a one-on-one technical interview. Calculus and programming questions were asked.

The second round interview was a big day with directors in the fixed income group. They interviewed with me while still doing jobs on their computers. Most problems are math, programming or brain teaser problems. There was also a math test with calculus, linear algbra and logic questions. The math test was very hard.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Citi.

On campus recruiting with two rounds for the internship position. First round with HR and an Associate. Second round with VP and MD. Was invited to the office to meet more senior people before the job offer was made. Overall a very pleasant experience.

Interview Questions
    • Standard IB questions. Make sure you know the transactions they have done.   Answer Question

Cyber Investigative Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Warren, NJ

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Citi in September 2014.

Was contacted by an HR supervisor to schedule an interview about one or two weeks after I had submitted my resume on their online application system. Was given a specific location, but not the building number, so I was left guessing as to which building my interview was at. Eventually called security to find out where I was supposed to go. I also called the HR representative which scheduled the interview and she did not return my call.

The interview itself went well. Everyone was professional and polite, though occasionally I found myself trailing behind the supervisor/interviewer while he talked to an HR representative which was very awkward for me. In total, I met with one analyst, one supervisor, and two executives, and one HR representative. The HR representative seemed very clueless as to what kind of application the team was looking for.

I felt everything had gone quite well, though this was a technical position and there was no technical Q&A session which was extremely odd. They emphasized that they were looking to bring a recent college graduate onto their team and train that person from the ground up (too good to be true).

I did not receive any further communication from Citi after leaving the interviewer despite the HR representative stating that I should hear a definitive answer within "a few days" or "two to three weeks". My telephone call and email inquiries were not returned.

Build Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Warren, NJ

I applied online – interviewed at Citi in September 2014.

Applied online and contacted by HR. They schedule a phone interview with hiring manager. During the phone interview the manager said he wants to hire me and he is so happy that he finally found someone with good communication skill. He is a Chinese and it sounded like the folks under him don't have that much communication skill. He also mentioned that there will be an in-person interview after a week to meet his boss, his peer and another lady from QA
    When I went there for in-person interview his boss didn't even shake hands and gave me a feeling that he didn't care. Asked some questions, answered them. Met with two other folks also.
    I sent a thank you note, followed-up with the hiring manager a week later. Here is the reply I got from him " I did not receive positive feedback from others as your technical skillset / experience did not fit strongly for the Build Manager position. If there are any other opportunities in the future, I will keep you in mind. "
    Well thing is those two folks are North Indian who speaks Hindi, I am a south Indian Christian, well they don't hire us. We are minority and this is what happens in India. It happens in US too.
    Well North Indians can get away with what they are doing because they can say like we speak Gujarati etc...All the North Indian languages are same like Hindi.
    75% of the Citi workers are from India who speaks particular language. They prepare their language folks for the interview by telling them what kind of question they are going to ask during interview etc…even if Americans involved in the process.
    One Hindi person will bring in another 100 Hindi person whether they are qualified or not and they will be trained at work in their language for hours together. Why at least half of these positions were not given to American?
    Well IT is sold out for particular group of people...