Citi Interview Questions in New York, NY

Updated Jun 23, 2015

Credit & Portfolio Risk Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Citi (New York, NY).

Interview

phone interview, why you want to work for city, why you want to work in this department, why you want to leave your current job. walk thru resume. describe what he is doing. Ask about what I have done in past in details

Summer Management Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Citi (New York, NY).

Interview

I applied through my graduate school. I went through one phone screening followed by 3 interviews in-person in New York. The interviews were all behavioral, not analytical. They are looking for candidates with general backgrounds.

Interview Questions

• Why Citi? What are the trends in the Retail Banking industry? Why a financial institution? What are you looking to get out of this experience?   Answer Question

Global Commercial Risk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Citi (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

I had a one day phone interview and then two weeks later was called for a Superday interview at their long island city office. I met with four different people all within the Risk division. the interview was pretty standard with all behavioral questions. Everyone was very nice and laid-back.

Personal Banker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Citi (New York, NY).

Interview

online, phone, group, and then offer from the initial recruiter. The process is easy but you are speaking to 50 different people, getting emails from 5 different people, and at the end they don't even do their job as it needs to be done.

Securities Processing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Citi (New York, NY).

Interview

Very relaxed, a couple of accounting questions, and brain teasers. 3 different interview stages. They usually get back to you within 2 weeks and tell you if you've made it to the next stage. But I emailed my HR Representative every week. In my opinion, there's not much you can prepare for in regards to the brain teasers or personality questions. But know your basic accounting.

Interview Questions

• You have expenses paid of 100,000 in the beginning of the year but they are accounted for quarterly. Give me the journal entries of these transactions.   1 Answer

Technology Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Citi (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

one phone call then got invited to super day which consists of three interviews followed by a written test.
    Phone interview consisted of a lot of oop question. No algorithms tho.
    1st round: went over resume and some oop questions.
    2nd round : same
    3rd round: it was more of an hr interview but he asked a couple of oop questions too.

Interview Questions

• some oop question. The written test was very lengthy, it had brain teasers, coding, sql and finance question. I took the interview on march 27 and still have not heard back so comment below if you are in the same boat.   Answer Question

Technology Analyst Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Citi (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

At a college career fair, I met a representative and spoke to him about an internship at Citi, as well as applied that night to the internship. Within a week, I received an email inviting me to an interview at my local Center for Career Development, which went awfully. The interviewer was difficult to understand, but he asked some good questions.

(1) If there were 1000 blocks in a room numbered 1-1000, and a little kid randomly took one, what is the most efficient way to figure out which one the kid took? (Know that the original sum (500,500) and get the new sum without that block, and subtract them)
    (2) A lot of OOP questions. Be able to articulate the difference between inheritance and polymorphism, as well as encapsulation and data abstraction.

I guess the interview wasn't as bad as I thought, because after about two weeks, I received another email inviting me to a Super Day. There were three 30-minute interviews, with an info session by an alumnus of the Sumer Technology Analyst position.

Interview 1 :
    (1) How would I implement my own LinkedList, creating my own Node.
    (2) What does static mean? (Don't have to instantiate the class to access the variable)
    (3) What is the difference between an Object and a Class?
    (4) What is something that all Java classes inherit (the Object class).

Interview 2:
    (1) If you had an array, filled with random numbers from 0-9, how would you put all the 0's at the end? (Traverse the array from both the beginning and the end. Every time there's a 0 at the front of the list, check the back of the list if the index the backChecker is on is a 0. If not, switch the numbers, if it is, then set the backChecker to the previous number, and do the same).
    (2) Remove a certain character from a LinkedList
    (3) Remove a certain character from a LinkedList without having any previous nodes.
    (i.e.) [1] -> [2] -> [3] -> [4] -> [5] -> [null]. Remove the 3, when your pointer starts on the 3. Really, what you want to do is set the 3 node.value = 4, making [1] -> [2] -> [4] -> [4] -> [5] -> [null], and then just deleting the next [4], by the method of (2).
    (4) What's the difference between an Object and a Class?
    (5) In Java, can you extend multiple abstract classes? Implement multiple interfaces? Why/why not? If you could, what problems would arise?

Interview 3:
    This was more of a personality interview, with some coding questions.
    (1) What is your favorite piece of code you've written. Was this for class?
    (2) Have you worked in a team, for what? Was this for class? Did you take initiative?
    (3) Did everyone in the group participate equally in the project?
    (4) In Java, when you pass a number into a function, are you passing a number or a reference? (Really, it was phrased differently, but very weirdly. You have a collection of numbers, and if you have a function that adds 5 to a number, do you change the number's value or just have a different number?)
    (5) With multithreading, does each thread have it's own stack? Why is that?
    (6) With multithreading, what is synchronization?
    (7) Can you extend multiple abstract classes? How about implementing interfaces? (C++ handles it differently in Java. I don't know C++, but I ventured to guess how it would deal with these issues).

Interview Questions

• In Java, when you pass a number into a function, are you passing a number or a reference? (Really, it was phrased differently, but very weirdly. You have a collection of numbers, and if you have a function that adds 5 to a number, do you change the number's value or just have a different number?)   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Citi (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Went through two rounds of interviews for the Summer Financial Analyst Program with Citi. The first round was organized through a school career fair event, and I was invited back a few weeks later in their Long Island City office for their Super Day. The first interview was a phone interview, and the interviewer was an alumni for my college. It was mostly behavioral, and more conversational rather than the interview. The Super Day interview was conducted as 3 x 30 minute interviews at their office. Again, they were mostly behavioral questions, that the interviewers picked from a preset list of questions (which they chose on the spot). I did get one question though asking about annuities, only because I had used the word annuity on my resume. You shouldn't really expect technical questions. They also asked at the end of my Super Day interview, if I had any other pending offers/interviews. I did not, and that may have influenced HR's decision to accept me.

Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Citi (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

The process was easy I just attended the super day in the city as well as the other ivy league kids even though I am from rutgers. I also had the first round interviews on campus here the week before and they went well enough to allow me to advance on.

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Citi (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Two phone interviews with HR, three round at office interview. First interview was with 2 VP's, the second was with an MD in the division, third was with HR.