Citi

Average Difficulty
25 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Citi in August 2013.

Interview Details – The interview was 3 or 4 interviews back to back, each one was 30 minutes. It wasnt that hard for me, but I have heard other people thought it was so brush up the fundamentals of whatever languages you know, maybe some algo questions too. Only one of the interviewers really "grilled" me, everything else was smooth sailing. But in regards to the one hard interviewer, I've heard of other people having him, he just tries to stump you. After that I had a phone interview about a month later which was straight text book questions (i.e. what is polymorphism, how can i extend multiple interfaces, How can i extend multiple classes (that one was a trick, confused me for a bit cuz he sounded sure it was possible) ).

Interview Question – I was how to detect if there is a loop in a singly linked list.
After I got that right he asked me if i was designing a system with something like 10 different random components (all of which were valid things that he named such as VOIP) how would I go about implementing it, what languages would I use?
  View Answer

Interviewed at Citi

Interview Details – 2 rounds - first round very fit based (e.g. why investment banking) with some brain teasers, second was slightly more technical (e.g. different types of valuation multiples). Interviewers were friendly for the most part, very understanding about lack of experience or technical. Seemed to look for minimum threshold of intelligence and then fit.

Interview Question – What's your greatest accomplishment?   Answer Question

Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Citi in March 2014.

Interview Details – I attended a career fair at my university website and applied through the Citi website. I got an email for scheduling an on campus interview for the next week. The interview was fairly laid back and conversational, and the interviewer talked about himself for most of the time.

Interview Question – What is your typical day like?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Citi in March 2014.

Interview Details – Had one on campus interview. After one week received an email to attend a Superday interview. The Superday interview consisted of 3 rounds of interviews. The whole process took about 3 weeks.

Interview Question – The interviews were not difficult. Just requires you to know CS fundamentals: Data Structures, Algorithms, OOP, Designing Efficiencies etc, but nothing too hard/in depth. And also be able to talk about your project if they are included in your resume.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Citi.

Interview Details – Applied online and received an immediate request for a 30 minute phone interview. Heard back within a week to attend Superday which consisted of two thirty minute interviews with employees.

Interview Question – What is unified currency and do you believe it works/is effective?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Citi

Interview Details – The interviewing was first done over the phone, then done in person in a super day. The whole process was stressful, and the questions were very thorough. The other candidates at the super day seemed very nervous.

Interview Question – How much chocolate is consumed in New York every week?   Answer Question

Summer Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Citi in October 2013.

Interview Details – Mostly behavior. Didn't even ask why Citi, why capital markets. Interested in asking about non-finance related experiences.

Interview Question – What options will you trade in current government shutdown and debt ceiling debate environment?   Answer Question

Summer Analyst

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Citi.

Interview Details – I had a first round interview in NYC and then was flown out to SF where I had a super day that consisted of eight 30 minute interviews, interviewers ranged from analyst to managing director. Most of the interviews were pretty technical - take me through how something would affect all four accounting statements, how would an i bank manipulate the stock price of a public company they represent, you own an ice cream truck company and you are thinking of expanding the business to meet demand how would you go about figuring out whether or not you need to and by how much.

Interview Question – Tell me about some investment banking deals that you have been following in the past 6 months, also mention a merger and an acquisition that you have been following.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation phase. I was extended an offer with a contract that included pay pro rated at 70k assuming 40 hour week and overtime above and beyond that.

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Citi in April 2012.

Interview Details – It is not so hard. Many fundamental programming question.

Interview Question – What is Hashmap.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Citi in December 2011.

Interview Details – Why Citi? Why IB? What are ways to value companies? The interviewer was challenging but very nice. Asked me who the CEO, chairman and the presidents are and what the ratios are as well. Pretty straightforward but do need to prepare for the interview.

Interview Question – How did Citigroup buy EMI ? What was the background?(since I mentioned the deal that Citi sold EMI to Universal and Sony)?   Answer Question

Worked for Citi? Contribute to the Community!