Citi

Average Difficulty
25 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Citi in February 2011.

Interview Details – 2:1 interview, Resume Review, Why are you interested?, a few technical questions - walk me through a DCF, what are other types of valuations, etc.

Interview Question – Walk me through a DCF   View Answer

New York, NY

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Citi in March 2011.

Interview Details – first round phone interview - all technical accounting, valuation questions, answered none of them correctly
superday - more fit/behavioral questions, one round of technical

Interview Question – 3 ways to value a company?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Nothing negotiable

New York, NY

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Citi in January 2011.

Interview Details – 1st interview - phone, very general, all fit
2nd interview - fit, but few based on current market conditions

New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at Citi in February 2010.

Interview Details – The group of candidates were interviewed in an auditorium. There were about 30 interviewers and 30 candidates. Each candidate had 3 20 minute interviews with 3 different people from 3 different groups. Two directors and one associate conducted my interview. All three focused primarily on fit and desire to be in the industry. The later was displayed through knowledge of recent deals and previous work experience.

Interview Question – Where do you see the corporate fixed income markets moving?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation - take it or leave it.

New York, NY

Interview Details – Did two 2 on 1 interviews, mostly fit - most important is to be relaxed and show them who you are, and to show interest, do some research about the group.

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Citi in January 2011.

Interview Details – This is for the IBD group at Citi.

My resume was submitted in the morning, and someone called me that afternoon to schedule a first round phone interview within the beginning of the next work week. The call was to two associates in the firm, on speakerphone, although only one spoke/asked questions. After running through my resume, we moved onto the technical portion of the interview. Typical questions were asked on Accounting (Income/Balance sheets) and Valuations (DCF, different valuation methods). The interview lasted approximately 30 minutes, and at the end I was informed that I would be recommended for the next round. Someone called me later that evening to schedule the next interview.

Buffalo, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Citi in March 2010.

Interview Details – Applied online, heard back 3 weeks later that I had gotten an interview. Interviewed on site, both interviews were behavioral and easy. They mainly talked about what they did and wanted to see what I had done in past experience and schooling and how it related to the internship. Very nice, wanted me to succeed

Interview Question – Standard behavioral   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Citi in February 2009.

Interview Details – The interview took place at the UCLA career center. The interviewer was prompt and professional and met me almost to the second that the interview was to start. He was friendly, but also quite reserved. You could tell he was a little distracted. After the expected "Walk me through your resume" he waded right into technical questions. He would dovetail each question with a more complicated question. He would also allow you to steer the interview in a direction more favorable to your knowledge. For example, I rambled on about options for quite some time. Overall a pretty typical Investment Banking interview.

Interview Question – What are the factors that go into valuing an option contract? The follow up question was what are the Option Greeks and how do they related to each other (this was the hard one, but he seemed satisfied that I knew even half of them).   View Answer

Summer Analyst

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Citi.

Interview Details – First round was pretty straightforward. They were more interested in behavioural aspects, getting to know me. The interviewer was already well versed with my cv and cover letter, and so did not need to look down when asking me about experiences and motivations.

Second round was supposed to be the assessment center. Due to unexpected circumstances, I ended up having two back to back phone interviews asking me to describe situations I have been in showing several traits they were looking for.

Interview Question – Do you think you're throwing away all the effort put into an engineering degree when applying to banking?   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3+ months - interviewed at Citi in December 2012.

Interview Details – No preliminary round. Only one final AC comprehending 4 interviews, one case study with individual presentation, one group case study and two tests (one verbal, one quantitative)