Citi

Relevance Date Difficulty

Systems Administrator Interview

Systems Administrator
Amherst, NY

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Citi in June 2009.

Interview Details – I was working as a contractor many tears ago. I was approached by the current IT Site Manager. I did not even realize I was being interviewed for a permanent position. I was asked a few questions - then the manager held up some fingers (representing a salary offer). I said OK on the spot. That was one of the best moments of my job career.

Interview Question – What does UDP mean?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate. The salary offer was more than twice what I was previously making as a contractor.

Systems Administrator Interview

Systems Administrator

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Citi in March 2010.

Interview Details – Applied online and was called for a phone interview. During that interview I felt overqualified for the job so told the interviewer I didn't feel like we were a good fit. The HR rep called the next day and talked to me about what would interest me. HR rep said they knew of a position that would be a better fit so they sent my information over to another group within the company. With that group, I did an initial phone interview with a couple of people. They ask some technical questions. After that, they asked me to come in for a group interview. I met with four people from the group, including the manager, and was asked more technical questions and then given a chance to ask questions about the position.

Since then, I've interviewed several other candidates at the company and many of them just don't know even the technical basics. I think some get flustered when they don't know the answer or don't understand the question asked. My advice is to not be afraid to get clarification of a question. In IT, people tend to use many different terms for the same thing. Also, we aren't expecting people to know every command and its exact use. A general answer of how you would go about solving the problem is fine.

Interview Questions

• Was asked how to troubleshoot a network issue between computer systems.   View Answer
  • What does this block of code do?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was able to talk to the HR rep about what salary range I was looking to get and why. They were then able to work out the details about whether I could be paid that much. You don't really get to negotiate on anything else.

Worked for Citi? Contribute to the Community!