Citizen Schools

Updated Aug 5, 2014

3.5

National Teaching Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Citizen Schools in August 2014.

I was shocked that I moved through the initial screening process (phone interview, "job simulation activity") so quickly. The in person interview was very uncomfortable for me as someone with no experience teaching. I am waiting so see if I got the job.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if a volunteer apprenticeship teacher was so busy she did not send you a lesson plan? (The previous two weeks she had sent them late.)   View Answer

Civic Engagement Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Citizen Schools.

Applied through their website on a Sunday and heard back on Monday morning. Thought this was a great sign, and ended up having an initial phone interview on Wednesday and a second round one on Thursday. Everything went well up until that point (really nice interviewers, easy to get in touch with people, appropriate questions, the works) and then it just fell apart. It was impossible to confirm the plan for my third round interview, to the point that I had to just bypass the HR coordinator entirely. And then I was asked questions that were essentially impossible to answer without having worked at Citizens Schools already.
    Then, after the whirlwind of events, I waited for over three weeks to finally find out that I didn't get the position, but I couldn't even be upset about it.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to prioritize a bunch of tasks that would be expected of someone in that position.   View Answer
    • I was asked what I would do if I didn't know how to approach/complete a task.   View Answer

Teaching Fellow Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Citizen Schools.

2 interviews. One was a phone interview, the other was a video interview. Overall the process was pretty smooth, but looking back, I don't feel that I was given a realistic idea of what to expect with the job.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you didn't meet a deadline.   View Answer
    n/a

Teaching Fellow Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Citizen Schools.

When you apply for the Teaching Fellow position you must include: a sample teaching plan that includes week-to-week activities, time break downs and personal agenda schedules for completing your work. Once your application is chosen for review you will receive an email requesting you to set up a phone interview. If you pass the phone interview, you will be asked for an in person interview. The in-person interview occurs in two parts, the first with will be with one staff member and the second round with two staff members.

Interview Questions
    • How would you address your students if this situation occurred: The office building you are visiting with the students, request that you leave the premises when it is found that there is writing(tagging) on the bathroom walls with permanent markers.   Answer Question

Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Citizen Schools in December 2013.

Ongoing

Teaching Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online – interviewed at Citizen Schools in July 2013.

The interview process was very intense for a part-time position, including one phone interview, one job simulation activity (time management scheduling in Excel), and a Skype interview. The final interview included lots of scenario questions in addition to questions about project management, your weaknesses, and past criticism from supervisors.

Make sure this a job you really want and be well versed on the company before you apply!

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time in which, personal or professional, you did not meet an important deadline and how you felt about it. Followed up with: How would you do things differently, if you would?   Answer Question

Teaching Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Citizen Schools.

Very brief phone interview.

Teaching Fellow Interview

Phone and in-person interview. Questions are not difficult to master and it seems that most who apply are admitted.

Interview Questions
    • There are some specific scenario questions that required me to think. It seemed like the more detail I gave the better.   Answer Question

Headquarters Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Citizen Schools in May 2013.

First round interview - phone call, basic, resume review-type questions
    Second round interview - skype/phone call with potential direct manager, situation-based questions
    Third round interview - panel style with supervisors, indirect and direct staff members; very straightforward, many role-play questions.

Seems to focus heavily on task-based management, less on

Interview Questions
    • Tell us of a time that you had less-than-desirable partnership experience   Answer Question

Deputy Campus Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Citizen Schools.

The process begins with multiple phone interviews. One you're passed though HQ, you'll get set up with the Managing Director of Programs for a Skype interview. Once he/she passes you through, you'll be invited to an in-person panel interview!

Interview Questions
    • Questions are often full of organization buzz words, tech-speak and specific to their program model. Come PREPARED.   Answer Question