Citizen Schools

Relevance Date Difficulty

National Teaching Fellow Interview

National Teaching Fellow
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Citizen Schools in August 2014.

Interview Details – I was shocked that I moved through the initial screening process (phone interview, "job simulation activity") so quickly. The in person interview was very uncomfortable for me as someone with no experience teaching. I am waiting so see if I got the job.

Interview Question – What would you do if a volunteer apprenticeship teacher was so busy she did not send you a lesson plan? (The previous two weeks she had sent them late.)   View Answer

Civic Engagement Associate Interview

Civic Engagement Associate
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Citizen Schools.

Interview Details – Applied through their website on a Sunday and heard back on Monday morning. Thought this was a great sign, and ended up having an initial phone interview on Wednesday and a second round one on Thursday. Everything went well up until that point (really nice interviewers, easy to get in touch with people, appropriate questions, the works) and then it just fell apart. It was impossible to confirm the plan for my third round interview, to the point that I had to just bypass the HR coordinator entirely. And then I was asked questions that were essentially impossible to answer without having worked at Citizens Schools already.
Then, after the whirlwind of events, I waited for over three weeks to finally find out that I didn't get the position, but I couldn't even be upset about it.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to prioritize a bunch of tasks that would be expected of someone in that position.   View Answer
  • I was asked what I would do if I didn't know how to approach/complete a task.   View Answer

Teaching Fellow

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Citizen Schools.

Interview Details – 2 interviews. One was a phone interview, the other was a video interview. Overall the process was pretty smooth, but looking back, I don't feel that I was given a realistic idea of what to expect with the job.

Interview Question – Describe a time you didn't meet a deadline.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – n/a

Teaching Fellow

I applied in-person and interviewed at Citizen Schools.

Interview Details – When you apply for the Teaching Fellow position you must include: a sample teaching plan that includes week-to-week activities, time break downs and personal agenda schedules for completing your work. Once your application is chosen for review you will receive an email requesting you to set up a phone interview. If you pass the phone interview, you will be asked for an in person interview. The in-person interview occurs in two parts, the first with will be with one staff member and the second round with two staff members.

Interview Question – How would you address your students if this situation occurred: The office building you are visiting with the students, request that you leave the premises when it is found that there is writing(tagging) on the bathroom walls with permanent markers.   Answer Question

Development Interview

Development
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Citizen Schools in December 2013.

Interview Details – Ongoing

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 5 years   Answer Question

Campus Recruitment Manager Interview

Campus Recruitment Manager
Redwood City, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Citizen Schools in May 2012.

Interview Details – Warning No Follow Through-
Applied in April near the end of my 2nd year of my fellowship with local support.
I was called for an initial phone interview in May, followed by a panel interview later in May.
Then no follow through. I followed up with them several times with emails and phone calls but due to staff changes, the process was interrupted and candidates like myself were left hanging without further updates.

Interview Question – What ways would you take recruitment to the next level?   View Answer

Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Citizen Schools in August 2009.

Interview Details – Quick process.

Interview Question – How do you manage behaviors in the classroom?   Answer Question

Teaching Associate Interview

Teaching Associate
Boston, MA

I applied online - interviewed at Citizen Schools in July 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process was very intense for a part-time position, including one phone interview, one job simulation activity (time management scheduling in Excel), and a Skype interview. The final interview included lots of scenario questions in addition to questions about project management, your weaknesses, and past criticism from supervisors.

Make sure this a job you really want and be well versed on the company before you apply!

Interview Question – Tell us about a time in which, personal or professional, you did not meet an important deadline and how you felt about it. Followed up with: How would you do things differently, if you would?   Answer Question

Headquarters Position Interview

Headquarters Position
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Citizen Schools in May 2013.

Interview Details – First round interview - phone call, basic, resume review-type questions
Second round interview - skype/phone call with potential direct manager, situation-based questions
Third round interview - panel style with supervisors, indirect and direct staff members; very straightforward, many role-play questions.

Seems to focus heavily on task-based management, less on

Interview Question – Tell us of a time that you had less-than-desirable partnership experience   Answer Question

Teaching Associate Interview

Teaching Associate

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Citizen Schools.

Interview Details – Very brief phone interview.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Citizen Schools

Worked for Citizen Schools? Contribute to the Community!