Citrix Systems

Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Raleigh, NC

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Citrix Systems in October 2013.

Interview Details – Only went to one round of interviews at the local ShareFile office. The environment is very casual and people are very friendly. I went through 4 interviews during the day.

The first was with the Senior Product Manager, and the man who would be my boss. He just went through my resume and my Github account with me. He asked me some behavioral questions (tell me about yourself, what are your passions, strengths and weaknesses, etc.).

The second interview was a general coding interview with two staff engineers. The questions were about the programming languages I've worked with. They also threw a programming question I had to code in C. After I was done, they asked me to debug it, which was great because I found an error in my answer;

The third interview was with two more engineers but it was more about web concepts: http, RESTful interfaces, Ajax, Cloud development, etc.

The final interview was with the Senior Manager again who just asked a brainteaser. Unfortunately I didn't get it.

Interview Question – Nothing was unexpected or difficult except for the brainteaser. It is long and I don't remember all the details, so I won't post it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much negotiation, since they offered far more than what I expected and the benefits were pretty good.

Inside Sales Interview

Inside Sales
Raleigh, NC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Citrix Systems in June 2013.

Interview Details – I was referred by an employee and got a phone interview. I am highly qualified and have the experience, so I answered all questions well. After MUCH follow up, I got an invite to a mixer at a local bar (yes, a bar) with Citrix employees.

Can't Remember Something to Do With SEO/SEM/Digital Marketing Interview

Raleigh, NC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Citrix Systems in October 2012.

Interview Details – A Citrix HR sent a glowing letter regarding my experience/skills to my LinkedIn account and asked to connect. Some emails back and forth - all with that "we think you'd be a great fit here!" tone. Then a phone call with HR for the usual semi-meaningless (these days) HR interview. Then, I had to fill out some useless "personality test" online, which took about an hour. More emails and a time set up to talk with the hiring manager. This is where HR inexcusably dropped the ball...my "interview call" time came and went, with NO phone call by the hiring manager. I call the HR rep to find out what happened...reach his voice mail instead. No response from HR. I sent several emails, asking "what happened?" No response from HR. I sent a final email saying that I would be calling Citrix headquarters to convey the mild anger I felt over this unexplained and rather rude gaff. Only then did I get a response from HR saying, that "he was sorry that the timeline for hiring did not meet 'my expectations'...uh, sorry guy, I just wanted an explanation for why the hiring manager didn't call at the set time and the reason why HR wasn't returning my emails and voice mails!

So, I never heard a reason as to why they dropped the ball, and I DID call Citrix headquarters to convey my disgust. Someone at the company ASSURED my that my situation was not representative of the company or it's hiring processes, that HR "must have been a contract employee or an outside consultant" (really? with a Citrix business card and company branding on his LinkedIn page, and with his title as HR, Citrix???). I was also ASSURED that the honcho of HR at Citrix HQ would be calling me to follow up and hear my concerns...which of course never happened.

Bottom line...this place doesn't have it's act together and it was a very bad "interview" experience. It was the interview experience that never happened. I spent many hours emailing, doing the useless personality test, the calls with HR, etc. with nothing to show for it.

I can sum up my entire experience with Citrix in one word: disgusted.

Interview Question – Don't know...the hiring manager didn't call me for the interview that was supposed to happen.   Answer Question

Business Development Manager - Raleigh, NC Interview

Raleigh, NC

Interview Details – You will have warm and friendly experience, and feel like they really want you to join the team. Expect to frequently hear "we're a humble group", "hire the right person", "cultural fit", and receive many compliments. They will soothe you with pledges of transparency, and shared values. It's very a charming crafted picture. On the surface, the hiring process appears highly professional.

EVENTS SUMMARY:

My process started early in May with contact to initial internal referrer. First, a basic recruiter phone screen followed by a 1 hour call with the hiring manager. Third step was a 2 hour in-person interview with a local team member (I'm in a different city). Fourth was a 1 hour video conference with a stakeholder manager who was not in the direct management line. By this time it is end of May, 4.5 hours were spent in Citrix interviews, plus substantial hours to prepare for each meeting.

All conversations were pleasant, both parties in synced agreement, vision and expectations were in alignment. Smooth process so far.

~20 days passed in June due to travel by candidate and hiring manager. Emails exchanged, and onsite interview scheduled in late June. Hiring manager positioned me as the leading candidate.

The onsite final interviews took place over 2 days. I met with 10 people total. 8 people over 8.5 hours on Day 1 (including lunch and dinner), followed by 3 people over 90 minutes on Day 2. To their credit, everyone provided their uninterrupted attention at the end of the quarter. Unfortunately, several managers did not bother to prepare in advance. That was unprofessional.

No interviews contained challenge questions, and all but 1 interviewer failed to ask natural follow up questions to explore the prior answer. I expected more thorough due diligence by my interviewers, and some indication of intellectual curiosity.

In early July, the hiring manager sent a scantly worded rejection email. No detail in spite of the hours we invested in one another, nor he did not respond to the follow up reply asking a simple question. There is no excuse for being rude, especially in Raleigh, NC.

TIME INVESTMENT:

More than 15 hours of interview time with Citrix employees, ~15 hours of advance research, and 1.5 days lost to travel. That's more than standard 40 hour work week.

CONCLUSIONS:

The hiring process is unacceptably long, and will require a substantial time investment by the candidate.

Citrix ShareFile has a team with many less experienced managers. Citrix Human Resources needs to provide professional training on appropriate interview techniques with emphasis on the legal do not's. NOTE: the recruiter and recruiting coordinator I interacted with do not have this problem.

The general lack of interviewer preparation was disrespectful to the candidate, and a terribly poor reflection on Citrix senior management. Lack of interviewer interest to get to know the candidate countered the impression the hiring manager worked hard to create about finding the right cultural fit.

Lack of interviewer preparation should greatly concern every applicant as a matter of fairness. Is every candidate evenly treated with same level of deference? Do the interviewers ever take more interest in one candidate over another?

True leaders are intellectually curious. Only one manager exhibited signs of intellectual curiosity. That manager has potential to provide inspiration along with professional aspiration.

At the end, the hiring manager did not display the stones of a confident executive who delivers bad news in person. Sending an impersonal email rejection implies weakness to directly manage potential workplace conflict.

Every hiring manager needs to set appropriate expectations at all times. It is unethical to mislead a candidate to think they are the leading contender for the job.

The hiring manager who was so interested to hire me at conclusion of final onsite interviews did not speak with references before abruptly ending the interview process. My professional references are 20+ highly respected executives with excellent reputations and unquestioned moral character.

ADVICE:

Do not apply at Citrix if you are unwilling to invest 40+ hours to the process.

Experienced candidates should use their senior listening skills. 7 of the 10 people I interviewed with are inexperienced mgrs. 2 interviewers used highly questionable choice of words alluding to my senior level experience. One used the term "advanced experience".

If your interviewer does not prepare, don't waste valuable interview time discussing the content on your resume. Ask to be escorted back to the hiring manager. That interviewer disrespects both you and Citrix.

Don't be surprised if the outcome isn't what you expect. I heard several times I was the leading candidate, including from the hiring manager. One manager qualified saying "the leading candidate, by far."

Interview Question – Interview Question – Senior sales staff member (not a manager) asked about my 30-60-90 day plan. She was visibly upset when I didn't specifically reference her staff-level peers in the summary. She didn't know my plan was based on priorities previously discussed with her senior management who advised me her priorities are one of the organizational problems.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Citrix Systems? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Citrix Systems interview questions and advice in Raleigh, NC. All 4 interview reviews posted anonymously by Citrix Systems employees and interview candidates.