City Year City Year Corps Member Interview Questions

Updated Apr 10, 2015

3.2

City Year Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at City Year in March 2015.

Interview

(DC)

Very cut and dry; lasted about an hour. asked 18 questions, the first of which was how much I knew about City Year, so do your homework.

Some simple questions, some difficult. Really not that bad but really not much feedback. It is a 4 week process. Application due, two weeks later is an interview, two weeks later you hear.
I've pushed my decision date back though so I will not hear for a while.

Interview Questions

• How much do you know about City Year? How would you feel about leading people older/more experienced than you? How would you feel being lead by people younger than you?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for City Year

City Year Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at City Year in February 2015.

Interview

The process was very simple, I thought that the questions are definitely geared towards a specific mentality. They are looking for people to embody their culture of idealism, so if you truly want this position, read their website and know the founding stories well. They are also looking for someone who knows how to teach, and who is excited about the work and the hours.

Interview Questions

• How will you and your teacher interact/ how will you solve conflicts   Answer Question

City Year Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at City Year.

Interview

Interview wasn't terribly difficult. A lot of the questions they ask are floating around on the internet, and I had done my research and had prepared answers for a lot of the questions I was asked. The interview was over the phone, and lasted 30 minutes max. The interview was pretty one-sided though, as the interviewer just asks the questions and records your answers, so I would recommend asking questions at the end of the interview to make it a little more personal and a little more of a conversation.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you experienced conflict in a group and how you handled it   Answer Question

City Year Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at City Year in December 2014.

Interview

There was an application with short essay answers and recommendations. Then there was one phone interview. The interview lasted about an hour and was pretty straight forward. They wanted to get to know me and my motivation/experiences better. The man interviewing me was very nice and was able to answers questions I had at the end.

Interview Questions

• What kind of team member are you? You will have to work with people from diverse backgrounds-what experience do you have with that?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at City Year (Boston, MA).

Interview

You submit an online application then they follow up with a screening "conversation" through skype. If you pass that they do a 45-60 min interview over the phone. The longer phone interview if full of tough behavioral questions, the shorter interview is more straight forward. I think you have a better chance of getting the position if you opt for "serve where most needed."

Interview Questions

• How would you design a student curriculum? Tell me about challenges you faced working in a group?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online – interviewed at City Year (Denver, CO).

Interview

When I went to apply for City Year in my home town of Denver, I initially filled out an online application, including some essay questions related to education and my motivations. Soon after, I was contacted for an initial interview and later a second interview with some members of the proessional staff. They do reserve the right to drug test, but don't generally do it unless someone is suspected of coming to work inebriated during the course of the year.

Interview Questions

• How would you react upon learning one of your students was planning to drop out of school?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation of terms of employment, but you do have a fair number of perks as a corps member in addition to a small monthly work stipend.

City Year Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at City Year in November 2013.

Interview

I applied online in November, and two days later heard back from the site that I applied to (Chicago) to schedule a time for a phone interview. The interview was about an hour and half, and four weeks later I got an e-mail letting me know that I had been hired.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a situation in which somebody less experienced than you in a given field was leading you, and how would you handle an situation where you were leading a group of people who were more experienced than you in that field?   Answer Question

Negotiation

City Year is nonprofit; there are no negotiations.

City Year Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at City Year.

Interview

Applied by the first, september 30th deadline, heard back two days later saying i was approved to interview, had interview the following week via phone, found out that i was accepted 2 weeks later

City Year Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at City Year.

Interview

Application, Phone interview, and face to face interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation this is a volunteer position so you should not be financially motivated.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at City Year (Philadelphia, PA) in June 2013.

Interview

Had one phone interview for about 30 minutes. You need to talk about your volunteer hours and how much you worked with children. Then an interview in the office for about an hour. Dress nice and buisiness casual.

Interview Questions

• What do you want to get out of this year?   1 Answer