City Year

17 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online – interviewed at City Year.

You submit an online application then they follow up with a screening "conversation" through skype. If you pass that they do a 45-60 min interview over the phone. The longer phone interview if full of tough behavioral questions, the shorter interview is more straight forward. I think you have a better chance of getting the position if you opt for "serve where most needed."

Interview Questions
  • How would you design a student curriculum? Tell me about challenges you faced working in a group?   Answer Question
No negotiation.

Other Interview Reviews for City Year

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online – interviewed at City Year.

When I went to apply for City Year in my home town of Denver, I initially filled out an online application, including some essay questions related to education and my motivations. Soon after, I was contacted for an initial interview and later a second interview with some members of the proessional staff. They do reserve the right to drug test, but don't generally do it unless someone is suspected of coming to work inebriated during the course of the year.

Interview Questions
    • How would you react upon learning one of your students was planning to drop out of school?   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation of terms of employment, but you do have a fair number of perks as a corps member in addition to a small monthly work stipend.

City Year Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at City Year.

Applied by the first, september 30th deadline, heard back two days later saying i was approved to interview, had interview the following week via phone, found out that i was accepted 2 weeks later

City Year Corps Member Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at City Year.

Application, Phone interview, and face to face interview.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation this is a volunteer position so you should not be financially motivated.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at City Year in June 2013.

Had one phone interview for about 30 minutes. You need to talk about your volunteer hours and how much you worked with children. Then an interview in the office for about an hour. Dress nice and buisiness casual.

Interview Questions
    • What do you want to get out of this year?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied online – interviewed at City Year.

This is a question from the screening interview

Interview Questions
    • What do you hope to achieve in your year with City Year?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at City Year in May 2013.

For the initial phone interview they asked questions such as what is city year? why do you want to teach? tell us about an adverse situation you had to overcome. Explain a relationship which you had to keep professional.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at City Year.

There was the paper application which I made sure to include any experience I had working with children and tutoring children even though I did it four years ago for a summer. During the phone interview, I was thrown off because I could hear him typing up my answers. Just remember that he has been asking the same questions to many people throughout the day. The face to face interview was surprising in the way that it was one to one, just me and one interviewer.

Interview Questions
    • During the face to face interview: "How do you describe City Year to your friends and family?"   View Answer

City Year Corps Member Interview

Set up the interview via an online calendar. Initial phone interview that lasted around 25 minutes; interview question sheet can be easily found online. Was granted a second interview a couple days later.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at City Year in March 2013.

You fill out a general form, and then answer four questions that are just assessing whether you actually seem interested in the opportunity for the right reason. Once you fill that out, you may be asked for a phone interview. The interview surprised me because it is very general and is clearly just a list of questions off of a list, none of which are actually looking at your specific experience (i.e. Have you ever worked with children before?..from my resume that's clear).

Interview Questions
    • There was a question asking about whether you have ever had to rely on other people for the success of something. Ultimately asking whether there was a time if you had to rely on something "bigger than yourself."   Answer Question