City Year

Updated Dec 4, 2014

2.9

32 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Corp Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at City Year in November 2014.

I applied online and I missed the first deadline but made the second. It took about 4+ weeks and I got an email about scheduling a phone interview about a week later. The interview process was about 35 minutes and I had mine over the phone due to being out of state.

Interview Questions
  • "What are lesson plans or skills that can help with developing working professional relationships?"   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for City Year

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at City Year in November 2014.

I submitted an online application including a resume, multiple recommendations and essay questions. I was asked in an email if I had any preference on where I wanted to serve and when I answered negatively, I was then sent an email containing information about City Year’s general requirements and expectations. I then scheduled a phone interview with emphasis on skills, past experiences and idealism.

Interview Questions
    • What is one conflict you had with someone and how did you resolve it?   View Answer
    N/A

Corps Member Interview

You have to fill out an application, write an essay, etc. Then I was contacted and I was scheduled for a phone interview. My phone interview did not take longer than fifteen minutes. After my followed up by a skype interview. During the skype interview they asked questions about certain aspects of the job, and if you're able to handle working in that type of environment.

Corps Member Interview

good. people are very friendly. interviewer types your responses as you interview, which can mess up the flow. Asked standard interview questions and about your experiences with kids, interactions with other people and how you function with a group of diverse people. Interview was about 45 minutes long.

Interview Questions
    • a time you had to embrace something bigger than yourself   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

A regional manager interviewed me, one-on-one, on my college campus.

My recommendation is to show that you are really passionate about the cause, and research about City Year's core mission is before going into the interview. Showing that you have done the research and can reference parts of their mission statement will show your dedication.

Furthermore, I cannot stress this enough, but relax. My interview process with the regional manager ended up becoming more like a conversation than a formal interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at City Year.

Because of the nature of City Year many of those applying end up doing phone interviews. There is an introductory interview that lasts about 15-30 minutes and a secondary one that lasts about 45 minutes. The questions are very idealistic in nature and include things about teamwork, leadership and your goals and aspirations. They do also ask about any previous volunteer or working with students. The interviewers are program managers who are generally extremely nice and patient.

Interview Questions
    • When have you had to respond to a authority figure who you disagreed with?   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

I applied online – interviewed at City Year in March 2014.

You must submit an application during one of the rolling deadlines. The company will examine your experience levels, education and the diversity of your resume. If they are interested in you an interview will be scheduled. During the interview you may be asked questions, such as "what is the hardest obstacle you have ever overcome?", "What is a commitment that you followed through on, even though it was difficult?" and "Do you feel comfortable working with a diverse team of young people?" The interview is typically conducted over the phone. The company looks to see if your skill set is appropriate for the service location. If you are selected after that they begin to send you paperwork and commitment letters.

Interview Questions
    • "What is the hardest obstacle you have ever had to overcome?"
      "Do you feel comfortable working in diverse settings?"
      "What are you personal strengths?"
      "How do you think City Year can help you grow as an individual?"
      "How do you think you can benefit City Year?"

Answer Question
    You do not get to negotiate pay. If you take this job be prepared to live under the poverty level because the payment comes in form of a stipend.

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at City Year in March 2014.

The online application and interview setup was extremely easy to navigate and straightforward. However both portions are incredibly mentally challenging and time consuming. Committing a year of your life to City Year is a huge step and the application and interview really give you an idea of what you're committing to.

Interview Questions
    • What do you want to do after City Year and how is City Year going to help you prepare for that job?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Little Rock, AR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Little Rock, AR

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at City Year in March 2014.

It starts with an online application that requires two recommendations and four essays (up to 300 words each). I applied to Serve Where Most Needed. In 11 days, I was notified that I could go on to a pre-screening interview (can be done over the phone or Skype, but they prefer Skype). You are allowed to state a preference for where you'd like to serve without it affecting your chances of continuing the admissions process. 7 days after the pre-screening interview, which is not at all difficult (up to 20 minutes of basic character/experience questions), I was notified of the location in which I'd be recommended to serve. The day after that, I inconveniently received an email stating I could interview either that day (worst notice ever) or 5 days after that. I had no choice, obviously, if I wanted to prepare for the interview, to choose the second option. Otherwise, I would have been calling them from a subway train or bus on the way back to school, and it wouldn't have worked out so well... 6 days after my interview (by phone), I was notified of my acceptance. The worst part of the process was the scheduling for the 45-60 minute phone interview because they emailed me too late. That was stressful. Be warned that they will ask a lot of questions which aren't on Glassdoor...

Interview Questions
    • How would you create a curriculum for your student(s)?   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

I applied online – interviewed at City Year.

Preliminary phone interview with basic questions, only about 20min. Then a second in-depth interview with more intense questions, about an hour.