City Year Corps Member Interview Questions

Updated Jun 28, 2015

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at City Year (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied during rolling admissions in early June. My application and two references were both submitted within 24hrs. I applied for the North East Region, and during that preference interview, told them that I preferred New York.

I got an email telling me that I was chosen to have a selection interview with the NY branch within 6 hours of my preference interview.

My selection interview was the following week. I basically scraped this site (glassdoor) all the way to the bottom of the barrel for any question I thought they might ask me, and wrote it down on paper along with a well thought out answer. In the end, this made my interview process 1,000x easier, because I was think about potential questions and answers days ahead of time, and have them written on paper for my use during the actual interview.

Bring up one of the founding stories (and make sure you know enough about it... especially if you can relate it to an experience you had that would impress them). My interviewer seemed really impressed with that.

Either apply as SOON as applications open, or apply during rolling admissions. Those are your best bets for getting in. With City Year or any internship/job/service/college you'll apply for in your life, your chances are always higher in the beginning (they're more lenient on who they'll take because there's so much room) or during rolling admissions (they're short on people and are more likely to take you even if you feel some part of your application isn't that strong).

Prepare ahead of time by using sites like this to scout out questions.

Smile over the phone. They can tell.

Overall, the interview process was pretty easy. However, I'm pretty well versed in phone interviews so I was pretty certain I would have the position once the interview was over. If you prepare, you can be too.

Interview Questions

• How do you plan to stay motivated during the duration of the 11-month internship?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for City Year

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at City Year (Boston, MA) in May 2015.

Interview

Interview with the National Recruitment Office to Serve Where Most Needed. It was a 15 minute long Skype conversation (could opt for phone only). The interviewer was kind and casual. First telling me about the interview process then asking only a few questions. Be prepared to talk about your experiences that are related to the CY ideal.

Interview Questions

• What are some experiences you have had that make you a good candidate for CY?   Answer Question
    • What was the most rewarding thing about these experiences?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Riverside, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at City Year (Riverside, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied for the position online. Within a week, I received an email to set-up an interview. I did an on-campus interview. The interviewer was very pleasant and made me feel comfortable. He was just recording what I was saying. He assured me that if I needed questions repeated or time to think about my answers then it was okay to do so.

Interview Questions

• How would you interact with teachers when dealing with a conflict? What does wearing the City Year uniform mean to you?   Answer Question
    • Is there anything you want to highlight about you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at City Year (Little Rock, AR) in March 2015.

Interview

The interviewers were very friendly and professional. I spoke with a recruiter first and she explained to me in detail the next steps to the hiring process as well as some topics that would be covered in the interview. If you can definitely meet up with a recruiter and ask questions! The first round of interviews was conducted by the national committee as I checked serve where most needed. The interview took about 10-15 minutes and was very average. Asking experience with children, why you chose to serve where most needed. The next interview was after I was placed and that took about the full hour. Ask a lot of questions afterwards and have more of a conversation- even while you're having the conversation my interviewer was still typing some things that I was saying down.

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose City Year even though there are other companies like Teach for America out there?
      When was a time you handled conflict and what was your role?
      How will you be able to stay motivated throughout the 11 months?

Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Interview

The interview was very formal and easy. It was over the phone and the staffer seemed distracted. I answered all the questions and found out I was through to the next round very quickly.

Interview Questions

• What is one quality in a co-worker that you find most annoying?   Answer Question

Corp Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at City Year in November 2014.

Interview

I applied online and I missed the first deadline but made the second. It took about 4+ weeks and I got an email about scheduling a phone interview about a week later. The interview process was about 35 minutes and I had mine over the phone due to being out of state.

Interview Questions

• "What are lesson plans or skills that can help with developing working professional relationships?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at City Year (Dallas, TX) in November 2014.

Interview

I submitted an online application including a resume, multiple recommendations and essay questions. I was asked in an email if I had any preference on where I wanted to serve and when I answered negatively, I was then sent an email containing information about City Year’s general requirements and expectations. I then scheduled a phone interview with emphasis on skills, past experiences and idealism.

Interview Questions

• What is one conflict you had with someone and how did you resolve it?   1 Answer

Negotiation

N/A

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at City Year in October 2014.

Interview

It was a very fast interview. There were a couple of online essay questions that were not very difficult at all. Then there was a phone interview which was pretty easy. The interview process is pretty simple and not very demanding. Unless you have something very questionable in your past or you answer the questions in a silly way, then you will probably get the job.

Interview Questions

• What do you think about having to work with people that are significantly younger than you?   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Interview

You have to fill out an application, write an essay, etc. Then I was contacted and I was scheduled for a phone interview. My phone interview did not take longer than fifteen minutes. After my followed up by a skype interview. During the skype interview they asked questions about certain aspects of the job, and if you're able to handle working in that type of environment.

Corps Member Interview

Interview

good. people are very friendly. interviewer types your responses as you interview, which can mess up the flow. Asked standard interview questions and about your experiences with kids, interactions with other people and how you function with a group of diverse people. Interview was about 45 minutes long.

Interview Questions

• a time you had to embrace something bigger than yourself   Answer Question