City Year

Updated Mar 4, 2015

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Little Rock, AR
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Little Rock, AR

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at City Year in March 2014.

It starts with an online application that requires two recommendations and four essays (up to 300 words each). I applied to Serve Where Most Needed. In 11 days, I was notified that I could go on to a pre-screening interview (can be done over the phone or Skype, but they prefer Skype). You are allowed to state a preference for where you'd like to serve without it affecting your chances of continuing the admissions process. 7 days after the pre-screening interview, which is not at all difficult (up to 20 minutes of basic character/experience questions), I was notified of the location in which I'd be recommended to serve. The day after that, I inconveniently received an email stating I could interview either that day (worst notice ever) or 5 days after that. I had no choice, obviously, if I wanted to prepare for the interview, to choose the second option. Otherwise, I would have been calling them from a subway train or bus on the way back to school, and it wouldn't have worked out so well... 6 days after my interview (by phone), I was notified of my acceptance. The worst part of the process was the scheduling for the 45-60 minute phone interview because they emailed me too late. That was stressful. Be warned that they will ask a lot of questions which aren't on Glassdoor...

Interview Questions
  • How would you create a curriculum for your student(s)?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for City Year

Corps Member Interview

I applied online – interviewed at City Year.

Preliminary phone interview with basic questions, only about 20min. Then a second in-depth interview with more intense questions, about an hour.

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

interviewed at City Year in February 2014.

I applied online. I'm local to my site so I didn't have a phone interview. The application was simple. I wouldn't worry too much about the essays--just be honest. I would recommend asking questions when a representative calls to see if you have any questions. It makes you look more interested.

Corps Member Interview

fair questions, hour long process easy.

Corps Member Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at City Year.

pretty basic interview. Applied online on the website. Received a notice to set up a phone interview. Asked basic questions. Got asked for a second interview after the completion of the first with similar questions. Offer took a total of around 3-4 weeks to get after initial interview.

Interview Questions
    • pretty basic questions (most difficult situation, a triumph you have had, etc.)   Answer Question
    no negotiation was available

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at City Year in March 2013.

The online application is long and similar to Peace Corps because they ask for two recommenders plus two essays. Do not take the essays too lightly; I spent three days on these short pieces because I wanted to insert relative examples of my experience, goals and ideals while discussing my knowledge of the program. The first phone interview was really quick because I was read; I had prepared answers and I had my resume in front of me. The second interview was in person with some new questions and some repeats. Make sure you come well dressed and that you act professional.

You have to be enthusiastic and show them why this position is right for you. Dont just summarize your resume.

If you can go to a school visit I strongly recommend you go. I got to talk a lot about my conversations with the current core members that I met during my visit. I felt more prepared and at ease because I had something concrete that I learned about the program.

Interview Questions
    • How would u spend your time in the headquarter office?

How do u feel about the uniform?

Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at City Year.

online application, phone interview. That is it. That's why they hire such lackluster individuals; there are no standards or minimums besides a GED/HS diploma.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at City Year in February 2013.

First you submit an online application (resume/CV, cover letter, references, etc). Then if the HR believes you are a good fit to the organization and the organization's cause, they will call you in for a selection interview. Finally, if the interviewer believes you have the basic qualities that they are looking for in their corps members, you will be given a third selection interview.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions were very basic behavioral questions. Expect many questions regarding why you chose their organization, why education, and what you would do in situations where there is conflict among your peers.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at City Year in May 2012.

The 1st interview was through the phone and was 20 or 30 minutes. They asked straight forward questions to get to know you such as:

Why do you want to do City Year?
    What are you strengths and weakness?
    What is personal and professional goal?
    Give an example a good and bad experience working in a team.

The second interview asked almost all the same questions so there are hardly any surprises.

Interview Questions
    • Name three adjectives that best describes you and how will you implement that in working with City Year?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at City Year in February 2012.

I had my screening interview and they asked:
    How might a child describe you and what would you do to achieve that description?
    Describe your best and worst team experiences?
    What are your strengths in regards to your work habits/style?
    In regards to your work habits/style, what do you hope to improve with City Year?
    What are your personal/professional goals?
    What do you know about City Year?
    What do you know about Milwaukee?

and a few others. It took 20 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • How might a child describe you and how would you achieve that description?   Answer Question
    • What are your best and worst team experiences and what was your role within that team?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you chose to help someone.   Answer Question