City Year

Updated Feb 19, 2015
Updated Feb 19, 2015

3.1

City Year Corps Member Interview

I applied online – interviewed at City Year.

Interview wasn't terribly difficult. A lot of the questions they ask are floating around on the internet, and I had done my research and had prepared answers for a lot of the questions I was asked. The interview was over the phone, and lasted 30 minutes max. The interview was pretty one-sided though, as the interviewer just asks the questions and records your answers, so I would recommend asking questions at the end of the interview to make it a little more personal and a little more of a conversation.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you experienced conflict in a group and how you handled it   Answer Question

Senior Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at City Year.

The hiring and interview process are executed well. City Year has a strong focus on technology; as a result much of the hiring process is done electronically and the interview process can be done in-person, by phone or via Skype. The questions are focused on the candidate's character and values.

Interview Questions
    • How do you want children to describe you, and what steps or actions would you take to accomplish that?   Answer Question
    From what I know corps members can not negotiate pay and benefits.

Corps Member Interview

The interview was very formal and easy. It was over the phone and the staffer seemed distracted. I answered all the questions and found out I was through to the next round very quickly.

Interview Questions
    • What is one quality in a co-worker that you find most annoying?   Answer Question

City Year Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at City Year in December 2014.

There was an application with short essay answers and recommendations. Then there was one phone interview. The interview lasted about an hour and was pretty straight forward. They wanted to get to know me and my motivation/experiences better. The man interviewing me was very nice and was able to answers questions I had at the end.

Interview Questions
    • What kind of team member are you? You will have to work with people from diverse backgrounds-what experience do you have with that?   Answer Question

Corp Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at City Year in November 2014.

I applied online and I missed the first deadline but made the second. It took about 4+ weeks and I got an email about scheduling a phone interview about a week later. The interview process was about 35 minutes and I had mine over the phone due to being out of state.

Interview Questions
    • "What are lesson plans or skills that can help with developing working professional relationships?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at City Year in November 2014.

I submitted an online application including a resume, multiple recommendations and essay questions. I was asked in an email if I had any preference on where I wanted to serve and when I answered negatively, I was then sent an email containing information about City Year’s general requirements and expectations. I then scheduled a phone interview with emphasis on skills, past experiences and idealism.

Interview Questions
    • What is one conflict you had with someone and how did you resolve it?   View Answer
    N/A

Operations Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at City Year.

I was contacted about 3 weeks after I applied to set-up a phone interview. The phone interview lasted about 30 mins and I was asked basic interview questions (i.e.: what would your supervisor say was your greatest strength and weakness). About a week later, I was contacted to set-up a second round, in-person interview. The interview lasted close to 2 hours! I was interviewed by two people. They asked in-depth questions about every job I had listed on my resume. For each job, they would ask what was your greatest success in that position and what was your greatest failure in that position. The interview was a bit stressful because it lasted too long. I felt totally drained afterwards. The most disappointing part about the whole experience was that I never heard anything back from them. After spending a total of 2.5 hours interviewing, I expected a phone call. I didn't even get a "thanks, but no thanks" email. I even sent two follow-up emails to the people who interviewed me and still no reply.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think is the biggest misconception about you?   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

You have to fill out an application, write an essay, etc. Then I was contacted and I was scheduled for a phone interview. My phone interview did not take longer than fifteen minutes. After my followed up by a skype interview. During the skype interview they asked questions about certain aspects of the job, and if you're able to handle working in that type of environment.

Corps Member Interview

good. people are very friendly. interviewer types your responses as you interview, which can mess up the flow. Asked standard interview questions and about your experiences with kids, interactions with other people and how you function with a group of diverse people. Interview was about 45 minutes long.

Interview Questions
    • a time you had to embrace something bigger than yourself   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

A regional manager interviewed me, one-on-one, on my college campus.

My recommendation is to show that you are really passionate about the cause, and research about City Year's core mission is before going into the interview. Showing that you have done the research and can reference parts of their mission statement will show your dedication.

Furthermore, I cannot stress this enough, but relax. My interview process with the regional manager ended up becoming more like a conversation than a formal interview.