City Year Interview Questions

Updated Mar 15, 2015

3.1

Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR
    Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at City Year in March 2015.

The interviewers were very friendly and professional. I spoke with a recruiter first and she explained to me in detail the next steps to the hiring process as well as some topics that would be covered in the interview. If you can definitely meet up with a recruiter and ask questions! The first round of interviews was conducted by the national committee as I checked serve where most needed. The interview took about 10-15 minutes and was very average. Asking experience with children, why you chose to serve where most needed. The next interview was after I was placed and that took about the full hour. Ask a lot of questions afterwards and have more of a conversation- even while you're having the conversation my interviewer was still typing some things that I was saying down.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you choose City Year even though there are other companies like Teach for America out there?
      When was a time you handled conflict and what was your role?
      How will you be able to stay motivated throughout the 11 months?

Answer Question

Teaching Interview

It was long and over the phone, I had to keep on asking the interviewer to repeat the questions and I am pretty sure that I answered some of them incorrectly because I couldn't hear her.

Interview Questions
    • About an experience where you worked in a team and didn't work   Answer Question
    • An experience where you taught through an academic point of view   Answer Question

(DC)

Very cut and dry; lasted about an hour. asked 18 questions, the first of which was how much I knew about City Year, so do your homework.

Some simple questions, some difficult. Really not that bad but really not much feedback. It is a 4 week process. Application due, two weeks later is an interview, two weeks later you hear.
    I've pushed my decision date back though so I will not hear for a while.

Interview Questions
    • How much do you know about City Year? How would you feel about leading people older/more experienced than you? How would you feel being lead by people younger than you?   Answer Question

City Year Corps Member Interview

I applied online – interviewed at City Year.

Interview wasn't terribly difficult. A lot of the questions they ask are floating around on the internet, and I had done my research and had prepared answers for a lot of the questions I was asked. The interview was over the phone, and lasted 30 minutes max. The interview was pretty one-sided though, as the interviewer just asks the questions and records your answers, so I would recommend asking questions at the end of the interview to make it a little more personal and a little more of a conversation.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you experienced conflict in a group and how you handled it   Answer Question

Senior Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at City Year.

The hiring and interview process are executed well. City Year has a strong focus on technology; as a result much of the hiring process is done electronically and the interview process can be done in-person, by phone or via Skype. The questions are focused on the candidate's character and values.

Interview Questions
    • How do you want children to describe you, and what steps or actions would you take to accomplish that?   Answer Question
    From what I know corps members can not negotiate pay and benefits.

Corps Member Interview

The interview was very formal and easy. It was over the phone and the staffer seemed distracted. I answered all the questions and found out I was through to the next round very quickly.

Interview Questions
    • What is one quality in a co-worker that you find most annoying?   Answer Question

City Year Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at City Year in December 2014.

There was an application with short essay answers and recommendations. Then there was one phone interview. The interview lasted about an hour and was pretty straight forward. They wanted to get to know me and my motivation/experiences better. The man interviewing me was very nice and was able to answers questions I had at the end.

Interview Questions
    • What kind of team member are you? You will have to work with people from diverse backgrounds-what experience do you have with that?   Answer Question

Corp Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at City Year in November 2014.

I applied online and I missed the first deadline but made the second. It took about 4+ weeks and I got an email about scheduling a phone interview about a week later. The interview process was about 35 minutes and I had mine over the phone due to being out of state.

Interview Questions
    • "What are lesson plans or skills that can help with developing working professional relationships?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at City Year in November 2014.

I submitted an online application including a resume, multiple recommendations and essay questions. I was asked in an email if I had any preference on where I wanted to serve and when I answered negatively, I was then sent an email containing information about City Year’s general requirements and expectations. I then scheduled a phone interview with emphasis on skills, past experiences and idealism.

Interview Questions
    • What is one conflict you had with someone and how did you resolve it?   View Answer
    N/A

Operations Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at City Year.

I was contacted about 3 weeks after I applied to set-up a phone interview. The phone interview lasted about 30 mins and I was asked basic interview questions (i.e.: what would your supervisor say was your greatest strength and weakness). About a week later, I was contacted to set-up a second round, in-person interview. The interview lasted close to 2 hours! I was interviewed by two people. They asked in-depth questions about every job I had listed on my resume. For each job, they would ask what was your greatest success in that position and what was your greatest failure in that position. The interview was a bit stressful because it lasted too long. I felt totally drained afterwards. The most disappointing part about the whole experience was that I never heard anything back from them. After spending a total of 2.5 hours interviewing, I expected a phone call. I didn't even get a "thanks, but no thanks" email. I even sent two follow-up emails to the people who interviewed me and still no reply.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think is the biggest misconception about you?   Answer Question