City Year

Relevance Date Difficulty

Corps Member Interview

Corps Member

Interviewed at City Year

Interview Details – A regional manager interviewed me, one-on-one, on my college campus.

My recommendation is to show that you are really passionate about the cause, and research about City Year's core mission is before going into the interview. Showing that you have done the research and can reference parts of their mission statement will show your dedication.

Furthermore, I cannot stress this enough, but relax. My interview process with the regional manager ended up becoming more like a conversation than a formal interview.

Interview Question – Why are you applying for this position?   Answer Question

CY Corps Member Interview

CY Corps Member
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at City Year.

Interview Details – Applied online (for the last deadline). Within a couple weeks I had a phone interview and then an informational phone interview where I got to ask questions about City Year. Got put on the waitlist for my chosen site (Chicago) and then got an offer a week after basic training started. The whole process took about three months.

Interview Question – Can't remember specific questions, but they asked if I had any past experience working on a team.   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at City Year in March 2013.

Interview Details – You fill out a general form, and then answer four questions that are just assessing whether you actually seem interested in the opportunity for the right reason. Once you fill that out, you may be asked for a phone interview. The interview surprised me because it is very general and is clearly just a list of questions off of a list, none of which are actually looking at your specific experience (i.e. Have you ever worked with children before?..from my resume that's clear).

Interview Question – There was a question asking about whether you have ever had to rely on other people for the success of something. Ultimately asking whether there was a time if you had to rely on something "bigger than yourself."   Answer Question

Team Leader Interview

Team Leader

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at City Year.

Interview Details – Basically, after winter break, the office sends out an email about Team Leader positions for next year, and they will try to sell it to you as a great opportunity. A bunch of people will apply, most because they are afraid they won't get a job offer after CY ends.
In February, you apply online. Standard application (with 5 CY specific short answers) and resume with two letters of recommendation. One has to come from your PM (your TL cannot recommend you) and the other your classroom teacher usually.
Basically everyone gets an interview. They scheduled it on a work day, and when I walked into the interview, one of my team members had just left, so secrecy of who is applying is not really possible.
They get back to you really fast. I was rejected and put on the wait list. Many people have received grad school opportunities or other job acceptances by then, so if you are put on the wait list, don't sweat. You might just might get a chance to serve.

Interview Question – It's not really a question, just that my interview was after a 9 hour work day. So, if your serious about getting TL, take the half day and get some time to breathe before you go into the interview because it's a panel.   Answer Question

Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at City Year in June 2013.

Interview Details – Had one phone interview for about 30 minutes. You need to talk about your volunteer hours and how much you worked with children. Then an interview in the office for about an hour. Dress nice and buisiness casual.

Interview Question – What do you want to get out of this year?   View Answer

Boston, MA

I applied online and interviewed at City Year.

Interview Details – You submit an online application then they follow up with a screening "conversation" through skype. If you pass that they do a 45-60 min interview over the phone. The longer phone interview if full of tough behavioral questions, the shorter interview is more straight forward. I think you have a better chance of getting the position if you opt for "serve where most needed."

Interview Question – How would you design a student curriculum? Tell me about challenges you faced working in a group?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Denver, CO

I applied online and interviewed at City Year.

Interview Details – When I went to apply for City Year in my home town of Denver, I initially filled out an online application, including some essay questions related to education and my motivations. Soon after, I was contacted for an initial interview and later a second interview with some members of the proessional staff. They do reserve the right to drug test, but don't generally do it unless someone is suspected of coming to work inebriated during the course of the year.

Interview Question – How would you react upon learning one of your students was planning to drop out of school?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation of terms of employment, but you do have a fair number of perks as a corps member in addition to a small monthly work stipend.

Corps Member Interview

Corps Member
Miami, FL

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at City Year.

Interview Details – Because of the nature of City Year many of those applying end up doing phone interviews. There is an introductory interview that lasts about 15-30 minutes and a secondary one that lasts about 45 minutes. The questions are very idealistic in nature and include things about teamwork, leadership and your goals and aspirations. They do also ask about any previous volunteer or working with students. The interviewers are program managers who are generally extremely nice and patient.

Interview Question – When have you had to respond to a authority figure who you disagreed with?   Answer Question

First Year Corps Member Milwaukee Interview

First Year Corps Member Milwaukee
Milwaukee, WI

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at City Year.

Interview Details – Be honest, precise, and specific! Let them know how committed you are to giving back to the community and to the education of children. Tell your story, be creative.

Interview Question – What has been your longest commitment?   View Answer

Charlotte, NC

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at City Year in March 2012.

Interview Details – online application, 15 minute phone interview, 45 minute phone interview

Interview Question – What founding story is most important to you   Answer Question

Worked for City Year? Contribute to the Community!