City Year Interview Questions

Updated Apr 10, 2015

3.1

Teaching Interview

Interview

It was long and over the phone, I had to keep on asking the interviewer to repeat the questions and I am pretty sure that I answered some of them incorrectly because I couldn't hear her.

Interview Questions

• About an experience where you worked in a team and didn't work   Answer Question
    • An experience where you taught through an academic point of view   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at City Year (Little Rock, AR) in March 2015.

Interview

The interviewers were very friendly and professional. I spoke with a recruiter first and she explained to me in detail the next steps to the hiring process as well as some topics that would be covered in the interview. If you can definitely meet up with a recruiter and ask questions! The first round of interviews was conducted by the national committee as I checked serve where most needed. The interview took about 10-15 minutes and was very average. Asking experience with children, why you chose to serve where most needed. The next interview was after I was placed and that took about the full hour. Ask a lot of questions afterwards and have more of a conversation- even while you're having the conversation my interviewer was still typing some things that I was saying down.

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose City Year even though there are other companies like Teach for America out there?
      When was a time you handled conflict and what was your role?
      How will you be able to stay motivated throughout the 11 months?

Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at City Year in March 2015.

Interview

(DC)

Very cut and dry; lasted about an hour. asked 18 questions, the first of which was how much I knew about City Year, so do your homework.

Some simple questions, some difficult. Really not that bad but really not much feedback. It is a 4 week process. Application due, two weeks later is an interview, two weeks later you hear.
    I've pushed my decision date back though so I will not hear for a while.

Interview Questions

• How much do you know about City Year? How would you feel about leading people older/more experienced than you? How would you feel being lead by people younger than you?   Answer Question

Corps Member - Chicago Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at City Year in March 2015.

Interview

I completed an online application with short answers and basic information about my education and relevant experiences. I also had to submit two rec letters. I was offered a phone interview after this stage, that lasted about 45 minutes to an hour. The phone interview went in-depth about my goals, my personality, how I might deal with certain hypothetical situations, etc.

Interview Questions

• What are your personal and professional goals and how will the City Year experience work toward achieving them?   Answer Question

City Year Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at City Year in February 2015.

Interview

The process was very simple, I thought that the questions are definitely geared towards a specific mentality. They are looking for people to embody their culture of idealism, so if you truly want this position, read their website and know the founding stories well. They are also looking for someone who knows how to teach, and who is excited about the work and the hours.

Interview Questions

• How will you and your teacher interact/ how will you solve conflicts   Answer Question

Application

I applied online – interviewed at City Year.

Interview

Interview wasn't terribly difficult. A lot of the questions they ask are floating around on the internet, and I had done my research and had prepared answers for a lot of the questions I was asked. The interview was over the phone, and lasted 30 minutes max. The interview was pretty one-sided though, as the interviewer just asks the questions and records your answers, so I would recommend asking questions at the end of the interview to make it a little more personal and a little more of a conversation.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you experienced conflict in a group and how you handled it   Answer Question

Senior Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at City Year.

Interview

The hiring and interview process are executed well. City Year has a strong focus on technology; as a result much of the hiring process is done electronically and the interview process can be done in-person, by phone or via Skype. The questions are focused on the candidate's character and values.

Interview Questions

• How do you want children to describe you, and what steps or actions would you take to accomplish that?   Answer Question

Negotiation

From what I know corps members can not negotiate pay and benefits.

Corps Member Interview

Interview

The interview was very formal and easy. It was over the phone and the staffer seemed distracted. I answered all the questions and found out I was through to the next round very quickly.

Interview Questions

• What is one quality in a co-worker that you find most annoying?   Answer Question

City Year Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at City Year in December 2014.

Interview

There was an application with short essay answers and recommendations. Then there was one phone interview. The interview lasted about an hour and was pretty straight forward. They wanted to get to know me and my motivation/experiences better. The man interviewing me was very nice and was able to answers questions I had at the end.

Interview Questions

• What kind of team member are you? You will have to work with people from diverse backgrounds-what experience do you have with that?   Answer Question

Corp Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at City Year in November 2014.

Interview

I applied online and I missed the first deadline but made the second. It took about 4+ weeks and I got an email about scheduling a phone interview about a week later. The interview process was about 35 minutes and I had mine over the phone due to being out of state.

Interview Questions

• "What are lesson plans or skills that can help with developing working professional relationships?"   Answer Question