City Year Interview Questions

Updated Jul 25, 2015

Events Associate Interview

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at City Year.

Interview

It actually was very long and a little overwhelming. You meet with many members of your future team, and your boss and the Executive Director of the organization, and if it is for a senior leadership position, the other members of the senior leadership staff as well. But they are not hard to speak with, you feel very welcomed by the staff.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at City Year.

Interview

Fairly easy interview process. Began by applying online and sending electronic reference requests to two peofessional references. Following the online submission I received a phone call from City Year headquarters asking about my interests and a few other basic phone screeing questions and was told if I "passed" the phone interview I would hear from the CY Site I was applying to. I was selected and went in for an in person interview with a Program Manager. The in person interview was very normal and was more like a conversation. Overall process from start to finish was less than 2 weeks

Interview Questions

• How would you handle working with a teammate who might not be as knowledgeable as you?   Answer Question

AmeriCorps Member Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at City Year.

Interview

Remote interview due to distance from location and inability to travel for an in-person interview; choice of telephone or Skype interview was given with suggestion for Skype if possible (I elected for a phone interview). Interview was very stop-and-go because answers to interview questions were manually recorded after verbally given; would have been very unsettling and nerve-wracking had I not been told of the procedure by a fellow applicant beforehand.

Interview Questions

• How do you feel about potentially working alongside individuals more or less experienced or educated than you are?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at City Year (Los Angeles, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied online and within a week received an email to schedule a phone interview. I had a 45-minute phone interview with someone on the East Coast even though I had chosen West Coast as my preferred location. The interviewer asks you a series of 18 questions very quickly and types your responses. This is not a conversational interview -- it is a question and answer interview. The best thing to prepare is read all the interview questions on Glassdoor beforehand (which is what I did) and I worked hard to thoroughly prepare my answer. You will be asked about why you want to serve with City Year specifically, what kinds of social justice issues you are passionate about, what experience you have working with kids, etc.

Interview Questions

• City Year requires a lot of self-reflection. Discuss a time when you engaged in self-reflection and how did it help you?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever worked in an organization that was bigger than yourself and everyone worked toward a large, common goal?   Answer Question

City Year Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at City Year.

Interview

Most people do a phone interview if your not in the location you apply to. Its weird because they don't really interact they just ask the question and type it out as you say it so you cant gauge what they think of your answer. It feels awkward to have pause but its better to take a sec to think of reply than to blurt something out.

Interview Questions

• Give us a scenario in which you had a conflict with a co-worker and how did you solve it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at City Year (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied during rolling admissions in early June. My application and two references were both submitted within 24hrs. I applied for the North East Region, and during that preference interview, told them that I preferred New York. I got an email telling me that I was chosen to have a selection interview with the NY branch within 6 hours of my preference interview. My selection interview was the following week. I basically scraped this site (glassdoor) all the way to the bottom of the barrel for any question I thought they might ask me, and wrote it down on paper along with a well thought out answer. In the end, this made my interview process 1,000x easier, because I was think about potential questions and answers days ahead of time, and have them written on paper for my use during the actual interview. Bring up one of the founding stories (and make sure you know enough about it... especially if you can relate it to an experience you had that would impress them). My interviewer seemed really impressed with that. Either apply as SOON as applications open, or apply during rolling admissions. Those are your best bets for getting in. With City Year or any internship/job/service/college you'll apply for in your life, your chances are always higher in the beginning (they're more lenient on who they'll take because there's so much room) or during rolling admissions (they're short on people and are more likely to take you even if you feel some part of your application isn't that strong). Prepare ahead of time by using sites like this to scout out questions. Smile over the phone. They can tell. Overall, the interview process was pretty easy. However, I'm pretty well versed in phone interviews so I was pretty certain I would have the position once the interview was over. If you prepare, you can be too.

Interview Questions

• How do you plan to stay motivated during the duration of the 11-month internship?   Answer Question

Impact Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at City Year.

Interview

The phone interview was pretty standard, just asking about prior employment but I was caught off guard when they asked for salary requirements off the bat. Might be something to keep in mind when prepping for the interview. The second interview was formal, but relaxed. I interviewed with two directors who were previous managers and they ran through my previous work history in chronological order, asking about what I did at each position, what coworkers or clients thought of me, what supervisors would say, and why I left. It lasted about an hour, with a lot of space for me to talk. The questions were pretty open ended so it's good to come in with stories to share.

Interview Questions

• What would your former supervisor say that was one area you needed to work on?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Riverside, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at City Year (Riverside, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied for the position online. Within a week, I received an email to set-up an interview. I did an on-campus interview. The interviewer was very pleasant and made me feel comfortable. He was just recording what I was saying. He assured me that if I needed questions repeated or time to think about my answers then it was okay to do so.

Interview Questions

• How would you interact with teachers when dealing with a conflict? What does wearing the City Year uniform mean to you?   Answer Question
    • Is there anything you want to highlight about you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at City Year (Boston, MA) in May 2015.

Interview

Interview with the National Recruitment Office to Serve Where Most Needed. It was a 15 minute long Skype conversation (could opt for phone only). The interviewer was kind and casual. First telling me about the interview process then asking only a few questions. Be prepared to talk about your experiences that are related to the CY ideal.

Interview Questions

• What are some experiences you have had that make you a good candidate for CY?   Answer Question
    • What was the most rewarding thing about these experiences?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at City Year (Little Rock, AR) in March 2015.

Interview

The interviewers were very friendly and professional. I spoke with a recruiter first and she explained to me in detail the next steps to the hiring process as well as some topics that would be covered in the interview. If you can definitely meet up with a recruiter and ask questions! The first round of interviews was conducted by the national committee as I checked serve where most needed. The interview took about 10-15 minutes and was very average. Asking experience with children, why you chose to serve where most needed. The next interview was after I was placed and that took about the full hour. Ask a lot of questions afterwards and have more of a conversation- even while you're having the conversation my interviewer was still typing some things that I was saying down.

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose City Year even though there are other companies like Teach for America out there? When was a time you handled conflict and what was your role? How will you be able to stay motivated throughout the 11 months?   Answer Question