City Year Interview Questions

Updated Sep 26, 2014
Updated Sep 26, 2014

3.1

Operations Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at City Year.

I was contacted about 3 weeks after I applied to set-up a phone interview. The phone interview lasted about 30 mins and I was asked basic interview questions (i.e.: what would your supervisor say was your greatest strength and weakness). About a week later, I was contacted to set-up a second round, in-person interview. The interview lasted close to 2 hours! I was interviewed by two people. They asked in-depth questions about every job I had listed on my resume. For each job, they would ask what was your greatest success in that position and what was your greatest failure in that position. The interview was a bit stressful because it lasted too long. I felt totally drained afterwards. The most disappointing part about the whole experience was that I never heard anything back from them. After spending a total of 2.5 hours interviewing, I expected a phone call. I didn't even get a "thanks, but no thanks" email. I even sent two follow-up emails to the people who interviewed me and still no reply.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think is the biggest misconception about you?   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

You have to fill out an application, write an essay, etc. Then I was contacted and I was scheduled for a phone interview. My phone interview did not take longer than fifteen minutes. After my followed up by a skype interview. During the skype interview they asked questions about certain aspects of the job, and if you're able to handle working in that type of environment.

Corps Member Interview

good. people are very friendly. interviewer types your responses as you interview, which can mess up the flow. Asked standard interview questions and about your experiences with kids, interactions with other people and how you function with a group of diverse people. Interview was about 45 minutes long.

Interview Questions
    • a time you had to embrace something bigger than yourself   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

A regional manager interviewed me, one-on-one, on my college campus.

My recommendation is to show that you are really passionate about the cause, and research about City Year's core mission is before going into the interview. Showing that you have done the research and can reference parts of their mission statement will show your dedication.

Furthermore, I cannot stress this enough, but relax. My interview process with the regional manager ended up becoming more like a conversation than a formal interview.

CY Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at City Year.

Applied online (for the last deadline). Within a couple weeks I had a phone interview and then an informational phone interview where I got to ask questions about City Year. Got put on the waitlist for my chosen site (Chicago) and then got an offer a week after basic training started. The whole process took about three months.

Interview Questions
    • Can't remember specific questions, but they asked if I had any past experience working on a team.   Answer Question

Team Leader Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at City Year.

Basically, after winter break, the office sends out an email about Team Leader positions for next year, and they will try to sell it to you as a great opportunity. A bunch of people will apply, most because they are afraid they won't get a job offer after CY ends.
    In February, you apply online. Standard application (with 5 CY specific short answers) and resume with two letters of recommendation. One has to come from your PM (your TL cannot recommend you) and the other your classroom teacher usually.
    Basically everyone gets an interview. They scheduled it on a work day, and when I walked into the interview, one of my team members had just left, so secrecy of who is applying is not really possible.
    They get back to you really fast. I was rejected and put on the wait list. Many people have received grad school opportunities or other job acceptances by then, so if you are put on the wait list, don't sweat. You might just might get a chance to serve.

Interview Questions
    • It's not really a question, just that my interview was after a 9 hour work day. So, if your serious about getting TL, take the half day and get some time to breathe before you go into the interview because it's a panel.   Answer Question

City Year Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online – interviewed at City Year.

You submit an online application then they follow up with a screening "conversation" through skype. If you pass that they do a 45-60 min interview over the phone. The longer phone interview if full of tough behavioral questions, the shorter interview is more straight forward. I think you have a better chance of getting the position if you opt for "serve where most needed."

Interview Questions
    • How would you design a student curriculum? Tell me about challenges you faced working in a group?   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

City Year Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online – interviewed at City Year.

When I went to apply for City Year in my home town of Denver, I initially filled out an online application, including some essay questions related to education and my motivations. Soon after, I was contacted for an initial interview and later a second interview with some members of the proessional staff. They do reserve the right to drug test, but don't generally do it unless someone is suspected of coming to work inebriated during the course of the year.

Interview Questions
    • How would you react upon learning one of your students was planning to drop out of school?   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation of terms of employment, but you do have a fair number of perks as a corps member in addition to a small monthly work stipend.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at City Year.

Because of the nature of City Year many of those applying end up doing phone interviews. There is an introductory interview that lasts about 15-30 minutes and a secondary one that lasts about 45 minutes. The questions are very idealistic in nature and include things about teamwork, leadership and your goals and aspirations. They do also ask about any previous volunteer or working with students. The interviewers are program managers who are generally extremely nice and patient.

Interview Questions
    • When have you had to respond to a authority figure who you disagreed with?   Answer Question

First Year Corps Member Milwaukee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at City Year.

Be honest, precise, and specific! Let them know how committed you are to giving back to the community and to the education of children. Tell your story, be creative.

Interview Questions
    • What has been your longest commitment?   View Answer