City Year Interview Questions

Updated Sep 7, 2014
Updated Sep 7, 2014

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at City Year in March 2014.

The online application and interview setup was extremely easy to navigate and straightforward. However both portions are incredibly mentally challenging and time consuming. Committing a year of your life to City Year is a huge step and the application and interview really give you an idea of what you're committing to.

Interview Questions
    • What do you want to do after City Year and how is City Year going to help you prepare for that job?   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

I applied online - interviewed at City Year in March 2014.

You must submit an application during one of the rolling deadlines. The company will examine your experience levels, education and the diversity of your resume. If they are interested in you an interview will be scheduled. During the interview you may be asked questions, such as "what is the hardest obstacle you have ever overcome?", "What is a commitment that you followed through on, even though it was difficult?" and "Do you feel comfortable working with a diverse team of young people?" The interview is typically conducted over the phone. The company looks to see if your skill set is appropriate for the service location. If you are selected after that they begin to send you paperwork and commitment letters.

Interview Questions
    • "What is the hardest obstacle you have ever had to overcome?"
      "Do you feel comfortable working in diverse settings?"
      "What are you personal strengths?"
      "How do you think City Year can help you grow as an individual?"
      "How do you think you can benefit City Year?"
        Answer Question
    You do not get to negotiate pay. If you take this job be prepared to live under the poverty level because the payment comes in form of a stipend.

Corps Member Interview

good. people are very friendly. interviewer types your responses as you interview, which can mess up the flow. Asked standard interview questions and about your experiences with kids, interactions with other people and how you function with a group of diverse people. Interview was about 45 minutes long.

Interview Questions
    • a time you had to embrace something bigger than yourself   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

A regional manager interviewed me, one-on-one, on my college campus.

My recommendation is to show that you are really passionate about the cause, and research about City Year's core mission is before going into the interview. Showing that you have done the research and can reference parts of their mission statement will show your dedication.

Furthermore, I cannot stress this enough, but relax. My interview process with the regional manager ended up becoming more like a conversation than a formal interview.

CY Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at City Year.

Applied online (for the last deadline). Within a couple weeks I had a phone interview and then an informational phone interview where I got to ask questions about City Year. Got put on the waitlist for my chosen site (Chicago) and then got an offer a week after basic training started. The whole process took about three months.

Interview Questions
    • Can't remember specific questions, but they asked if I had any past experience working on a team.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at City Year in March 2013.

You fill out a general form, and then answer four questions that are just assessing whether you actually seem interested in the opportunity for the right reason. Once you fill that out, you may be asked for a phone interview. The interview surprised me because it is very general and is clearly just a list of questions off of a list, none of which are actually looking at your specific experience (i.e. Have you ever worked with children before?..from my resume that's clear).

Interview Questions
    • There was a question asking about whether you have ever had to rely on other people for the success of something. Ultimately asking whether there was a time if you had to rely on something "bigger than yourself."   Answer Question

Team Leader Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at City Year.

Basically, after winter break, the office sends out an email about Team Leader positions for next year, and they will try to sell it to you as a great opportunity. A bunch of people will apply, most because they are afraid they won't get a job offer after CY ends.
    In February, you apply online. Standard application (with 5 CY specific short answers) and resume with two letters of recommendation. One has to come from your PM (your TL cannot recommend you) and the other your classroom teacher usually.
    Basically everyone gets an interview. They scheduled it on a work day, and when I walked into the interview, one of my team members had just left, so secrecy of who is applying is not really possible.
    They get back to you really fast. I was rejected and put on the wait list. Many people have received grad school opportunities or other job acceptances by then, so if you are put on the wait list, don't sweat. You might just might get a chance to serve.

Interview Questions
    • It's not really a question, just that my interview was after a 9 hour work day. So, if your serious about getting TL, take the half day and get some time to breathe before you go into the interview because it's a panel.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at City Year in June 2013.

Had one phone interview for about 30 minutes. You need to talk about your volunteer hours and how much you worked with children. Then an interview in the office for about an hour. Dress nice and buisiness casual.

Interview Questions
    • What do you want to get out of this year?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online - interviewed at City Year.

You submit an online application then they follow up with a screening "conversation" through skype. If you pass that they do a 45-60 min interview over the phone. The longer phone interview if full of tough behavioral questions, the shorter interview is more straight forward. I think you have a better chance of getting the position if you opt for "serve where most needed."

Interview Questions
    • How would you design a student curriculum? Tell me about challenges you faced working in a group?   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online - interviewed at City Year.

When I went to apply for City Year in my home town of Denver, I initially filled out an online application, including some essay questions related to education and my motivations. Soon after, I was contacted for an initial interview and later a second interview with some members of the proessional staff. They do reserve the right to drug test, but don't generally do it unless someone is suspected of coming to work inebriated during the course of the year.

Interview Questions
    • How would you react upon learning one of your students was planning to drop out of school?   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation of terms of employment, but you do have a fair number of perks as a corps member in addition to a small monthly work stipend.

Worked for City Year? Contribute to the Community!