City Year Interview Questions

Updated Sep 26, 2014

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Little Rock, AR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Little Rock, AR

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at City Year in March 2014.

It starts with an online application that requires two recommendations and four essays (up to 300 words each). I applied to Serve Where Most Needed. In 11 days, I was notified that I could go on to a pre-screening interview (can be done over the phone or Skype, but they prefer Skype). You are allowed to state a preference for where you'd like to serve without it affecting your chances of continuing the admissions process. 7 days after the pre-screening interview, which is not at all difficult (up to 20 minutes of basic character/experience questions), I was notified of the location in which I'd be recommended to serve. The day after that, I inconveniently received an email stating I could interview either that day (worst notice ever) or 5 days after that. I had no choice, obviously, if I wanted to prepare for the interview, to choose the second option. Otherwise, I would have been calling them from a subway train or bus on the way back to school, and it wouldn't have worked out so well... 6 days after my interview (by phone), I was notified of my acceptance. The worst part of the process was the scheduling for the 45-60 minute phone interview because they emailed me too late. That was stressful. Be warned that they will ask a lot of questions which aren't on Glassdoor...

Interview Questions
    • How would you create a curriculum for your student(s)?   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

I applied online – interviewed at City Year in March 2014.

You must submit an application during one of the rolling deadlines. The company will examine your experience levels, education and the diversity of your resume. If they are interested in you an interview will be scheduled. During the interview you may be asked questions, such as "what is the hardest obstacle you have ever overcome?", "What is a commitment that you followed through on, even though it was difficult?" and "Do you feel comfortable working with a diverse team of young people?" The interview is typically conducted over the phone. The company looks to see if your skill set is appropriate for the service location. If you are selected after that they begin to send you paperwork and commitment letters.

Interview Questions
    • "What is the hardest obstacle you have ever had to overcome?"
      "Do you feel comfortable working in diverse settings?"
      "What are you personal strengths?"
      "How do you think City Year can help you grow as an individual?"
      "How do you think you can benefit City Year?"
        Answer Question
    You do not get to negotiate pay. If you take this job be prepared to live under the poverty level because the payment comes in form of a stipend.

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at City Year in March 2014.

The online application and interview setup was extremely easy to navigate and straightforward. However both portions are incredibly mentally challenging and time consuming. Committing a year of your life to City Year is a huge step and the application and interview really give you an idea of what you're committing to.

Interview Questions
    • What do you want to do after City Year and how is City Year going to help you prepare for that job?   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

I applied online – interviewed at City Year.

Preliminary phone interview with basic questions, only about 20min. Then a second in-depth interview with more intense questions, about an hour.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

interviewed at City Year in February 2014.

I applied online. I'm local to my site so I didn't have a phone interview. The application was simple. I wouldn't worry too much about the essays--just be honest. I would recommend asking questions when a representative calls to see if you have any questions. It makes you look more interested.

Corps Member Interview

fair questions, hour long process easy.

CY Corps Member Interview

I applied online – interviewed at City Year.

The most important thing to know is that interviewers ask pre-scripted questions off a sheet, and are on their laptops as they interview you. They attempt to type your entire reply to each question before moving on to the next. This makes the pace of the interview very unnatural and non-conversational. Be prepared to give a formal-ish and complete answer, almost like a speech, and then wait for the interviewer to type before asking another question.

Interview Questions
    • They ask about how you will approach leading people more experienced than you, and how you will approach being led by people less experienced than you.   Answer Question
    No Negotiation- stipend is set

City Year Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at City Year.

Applied by the first, september 30th deadline, heard back two days later saying i was approved to interview, had interview the following week via phone, found out that i was accepted 2 weeks later

Senior Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at City Year.

I applied as a Corps Member for a Senior Corps Team Leader position. The application is not very lengthy and requires questions about your strengths, weaknesses, an event you championed or drove to success etc. It also ask questions about your communication/leadership style. I was interviewed by our Director of Impact and School Partnerships. The interviewed asked many questions about how to deal with certain corps member situations so be prepared to think on your feet.

Interview Questions
    • I believe the biggest things that they will look for whether or not they are explicitly asked are 1) How emotionally grounded and adept are you to handle the stress of corps members, students and administration. 2) Are you deeply connected and bought in to the mission and values of City Year. 3) Have you proven yourself to be a clear leader and represent the organization in a strong way to community and school partners. 4) Are you willing to grow in the areas in which you are weak?   Answer Question

City Year Corps Member Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at City Year.

Application, Phone interview, and face to face interview.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation this is a volunteer position so you should not be financially motivated.