City Year Interview Questions

Updated Jul 29, 2015

Teaching Interview

Interview

It was long and over the phone, I had to keep on asking the interviewer to repeat the questions and I am pretty sure that I answered some of them incorrectly because I couldn't hear her.

Interview Questions

• About an experience where you worked in a team and didn't work   Answer Question
    • An experience where you taught through an academic point of view   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at City Year in March 2015.

Interview

(DC) Very cut and dry; lasted about an hour. asked 18 questions, the first of which was how much I knew about City Year, so do your homework. Some simple questions, some difficult. Really not that bad but really not much feedback. It is a 4 week process. Application due, two weeks later is an interview, two weeks later you hear. I've pushed my decision date back though so I will not hear for a while.

Interview Questions

• How much do you know about City Year? How would you feel about leading people older/more experienced than you? How would you feel being lead by people younger than you?   Answer Question

AmeriCorps Member Interview

Application

Interview

Phone call. They asked questions then typed it out. I believe there was only one interview. I didn't live in the area so if there was two, both were over the phone.

Interview Questions

• Have you lead students before? Why did you choose City Year? Our days are long, how do you plan to stay motivated?   Answer Question

Corps Member - Chicago Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at City Year in March 2015.

Interview

I completed an online application with short answers and basic information about my education and relevant experiences. I also had to submit two rec letters. I was offered a phone interview after this stage, that lasted about 45 minutes to an hour. The phone interview went in-depth about my goals, my personality, how I might deal with certain hypothetical situations, etc.

Interview Questions

• What are your personal and professional goals and how will the City Year experience work toward achieving them?   Answer Question

City Year Corps Memebr Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at City Year (Seattle, WA) in February 2015.

Interview

Interview process was all set up via online application. After submitting application, an email is sent out and an interview is scheduled via calendar website. I scheduled my interview and connected via Skype with the interviewer.

Interview Questions

• First interview question: How would you describe City Year to someone with no knowledge of the organization?   1 Answer
    • What is one experience in which you and a group had to work towards something greater? How have you experienced and worked within a diverse setting?   1 Answer

City Year Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at City Year in February 2015.

Interview

The process was very simple, I thought that the questions are definitely geared towards a specific mentality. They are looking for people to embody their culture of idealism, so if you truly want this position, read their website and know the founding stories well. They are also looking for someone who knows how to teach, and who is excited about the work and the hours.

Interview Questions

• How will you and your teacher interact/ how will you solve conflicts   Answer Question

Application

I applied online – interviewed at City Year.

Interview

Interview wasn't terribly difficult. A lot of the questions they ask are floating around on the internet, and I had done my research and had prepared answers for a lot of the questions I was asked. The interview was over the phone, and lasted 30 minutes max. The interview was pretty one-sided though, as the interviewer just asks the questions and records your answers, so I would recommend asking questions at the end of the interview to make it a little more personal and a little more of a conversation.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you experienced conflict in a group and how you handled it   Answer Question

Senior Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at City Year.

Interview

The hiring and interview process are executed well. City Year has a strong focus on technology; as a result much of the hiring process is done electronically and the interview process can be done in-person, by phone or via Skype. The questions are focused on the candidate's character and values.

Interview Questions

• How do you want children to describe you, and what steps or actions would you take to accomplish that?   Answer Question

Negotiation

From what I know corps members can not negotiate pay and benefits.

Corps Member Interview

Interview

The interview was very formal and easy. It was over the phone and the staffer seemed distracted. I answered all the questions and found out I was through to the next round very quickly.

Interview Questions

• What is one quality in a co-worker that you find most annoying?   Answer Question

Several Postions Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at City Year in January 2015.

Interview

In short, was called for several different positions. Had one - three phone screenings for each position and the recruiter was awful at following up. Accepted another position because the process took entirely too long. Several emails throughout the process went without response back. I am an alum and have now years of experience. From my experience and after talking to others, it seems they are only willing to hire people right after their corps year or grad school, not anyone else. Unfortunate as others might have actual real world experience, which is not at all what CY is looking for.

Interview Questions

• What was your favorite part about your City Year experience?   Answer Question