City Year

3.1

CY Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at City Year.

Applied online (for the last deadline). Within a couple weeks I had a phone interview and then an informational phone interview where I got to ask questions about City Year. Got put on the waitlist for my chosen site (Chicago) and then got an offer a week after basic training started. The whole process took about three months.

Interview Questions
    • Can't remember specific questions, but they asked if I had any past experience working on a team.   Answer Question

Team Leader Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at City Year.

Basically, after winter break, the office sends out an email about Team Leader positions for next year, and they will try to sell it to you as a great opportunity. A bunch of people will apply, most because they are afraid they won't get a job offer after CY ends.
    In February, you apply online. Standard application (with 5 CY specific short answers) and resume with two letters of recommendation. One has to come from your PM (your TL cannot recommend you) and the other your classroom teacher usually.
    Basically everyone gets an interview. They scheduled it on a work day, and when I walked into the interview, one of my team members had just left, so secrecy of who is applying is not really possible.
    They get back to you really fast. I was rejected and put on the wait list. Many people have received grad school opportunities or other job acceptances by then, so if you are put on the wait list, don't sweat. You might just might get a chance to serve.

Interview Questions
    • It's not really a question, just that my interview was after a 9 hour work day. So, if your serious about getting TL, take the half day and get some time to breathe before you go into the interview because it's a panel.   Answer Question

City Year Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online – interviewed at City Year.

You submit an online application then they follow up with a screening "conversation" through skype. If you pass that they do a 45-60 min interview over the phone. The longer phone interview if full of tough behavioral questions, the shorter interview is more straight forward. I think you have a better chance of getting the position if you opt for "serve where most needed."

Interview Questions
    • How would you design a student curriculum? Tell me about challenges you faced working in a group?   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

City Year Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online – interviewed at City Year.

When I went to apply for City Year in my home town of Denver, I initially filled out an online application, including some essay questions related to education and my motivations. Soon after, I was contacted for an initial interview and later a second interview with some members of the proessional staff. They do reserve the right to drug test, but don't generally do it unless someone is suspected of coming to work inebriated during the course of the year.

Interview Questions
    • How would you react upon learning one of your students was planning to drop out of school?   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation of terms of employment, but you do have a fair number of perks as a corps member in addition to a small monthly work stipend.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at City Year.

Because of the nature of City Year many of those applying end up doing phone interviews. There is an introductory interview that lasts about 15-30 minutes and a secondary one that lasts about 45 minutes. The questions are very idealistic in nature and include things about teamwork, leadership and your goals and aspirations. They do also ask about any previous volunteer or working with students. The interviewers are program managers who are generally extremely nice and patient.

Interview Questions
    • When have you had to respond to a authority figure who you disagreed with?   Answer Question

First Year Corps Member Milwaukee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at City Year.

Be honest, precise, and specific! Let them know how committed you are to giving back to the community and to the education of children. Tell your story, be creative.

Interview Questions
    • What has been your longest commitment?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Little Rock, AR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Little Rock, AR

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at City Year in March 2014.

It starts with an online application that requires two recommendations and four essays (up to 300 words each). I applied to Serve Where Most Needed. In 11 days, I was notified that I could go on to a pre-screening interview (can be done over the phone or Skype, but they prefer Skype). You are allowed to state a preference for where you'd like to serve without it affecting your chances of continuing the admissions process. 7 days after the pre-screening interview, which is not at all difficult (up to 20 minutes of basic character/experience questions), I was notified of the location in which I'd be recommended to serve. The day after that, I inconveniently received an email stating I could interview either that day (worst notice ever) or 5 days after that. I had no choice, obviously, if I wanted to prepare for the interview, to choose the second option. Otherwise, I would have been calling them from a subway train or bus on the way back to school, and it wouldn't have worked out so well... 6 days after my interview (by phone), I was notified of my acceptance. The worst part of the process was the scheduling for the 45-60 minute phone interview because they emailed me too late. That was stressful. Be warned that they will ask a lot of questions which aren't on Glassdoor...

Interview Questions
    • How would you create a curriculum for your student(s)?   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

I applied online – interviewed at City Year in March 2014.

You must submit an application during one of the rolling deadlines. The company will examine your experience levels, education and the diversity of your resume. If they are interested in you an interview will be scheduled. During the interview you may be asked questions, such as "what is the hardest obstacle you have ever overcome?", "What is a commitment that you followed through on, even though it was difficult?" and "Do you feel comfortable working with a diverse team of young people?" The interview is typically conducted over the phone. The company looks to see if your skill set is appropriate for the service location. If you are selected after that they begin to send you paperwork and commitment letters.

Interview Questions
    • "What is the hardest obstacle you have ever had to overcome?"
      "Do you feel comfortable working in diverse settings?"
      "What are you personal strengths?"
      "How do you think City Year can help you grow as an individual?"
      "How do you think you can benefit City Year?"

Answer Question
    You do not get to negotiate pay. If you take this job be prepared to live under the poverty level because the payment comes in form of a stipend.

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at City Year in March 2014.

The online application and interview setup was extremely easy to navigate and straightforward. However both portions are incredibly mentally challenging and time consuming. Committing a year of your life to City Year is a huge step and the application and interview really give you an idea of what you're committing to.

Interview Questions
    • What do you want to do after City Year and how is City Year going to help you prepare for that job?   Answer Question

I applied online – interviewed at City Year.

Preliminary phone interview with basic questions, only about 20min. Then a second in-depth interview with more intense questions, about an hour.