City Year Interview Questions

Updated Sep 7, 2014
Updated Sep 7, 2014

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at City Year.

Because of the nature of City Year many of those applying end up doing phone interviews. There is an introductory interview that lasts about 15-30 minutes and a secondary one that lasts about 45 minutes. The questions are very idealistic in nature and include things about teamwork, leadership and your goals and aspirations. They do also ask about any previous volunteer or working with students. The interviewers are program managers who are generally extremely nice and patient.

Interview Questions
    • When have you had to respond to a authority figure who you disagreed with?   Answer Question

First Year Corps Member Milwaukee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at City Year.

Be honest, precise, and specific! Let them know how committed you are to giving back to the community and to the education of children. Tell your story, be creative.

Interview Questions
    • What has been your longest commitment?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at City Year in March 2012.

online application, 15 minute phone interview, 45 minute phone interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Little Rock, AR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Little Rock, AR

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at City Year in March 2014.

It starts with an online application that requires two recommendations and four essays (up to 300 words each). I applied to Serve Where Most Needed. In 11 days, I was notified that I could go on to a pre-screening interview (can be done over the phone or Skype, but they prefer Skype). You are allowed to state a preference for where you'd like to serve without it affecting your chances of continuing the admissions process. 7 days after the pre-screening interview, which is not at all difficult (up to 20 minutes of basic character/experience questions), I was notified of the location in which I'd be recommended to serve. The day after that, I inconveniently received an email stating I could interview either that day (worst notice ever) or 5 days after that. I had no choice, obviously, if I wanted to prepare for the interview, to choose the second option. Otherwise, I would have been calling them from a subway train or bus on the way back to school, and it wouldn't have worked out so well... 6 days after my interview (by phone), I was notified of my acceptance. The worst part of the process was the scheduling for the 45-60 minute phone interview because they emailed me too late. That was stressful. Be warned that they will ask a lot of questions which aren't on Glassdoor...

Interview Questions
    • How would you create a curriculum for your student(s)?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

interviewed at City Year in February 2014.

I applied online. I'm local to my site so I didn't have a phone interview. The application was simple. I wouldn't worry too much about the essays--just be honest. I would recommend asking questions when a representative calls to see if you have any questions. It makes you look more interested.

City Year Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at City Year in May 2010.

I applied to City Year HQ during the February deadline. I completed a phone interview a couple weeks after being applying. I was notified mid-late March that I was being recommended for the site in Philadelphia and that my application would be forwarded. I then got a phone interview with CYGP in early May. I was notified of acceptance in June.

Interview Questions
    • City Year's motto is "Give a Year. Change the World." They ask questions related to service and how you feel young adults can impact change through services.   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

I applied online - interviewed at City Year.

Preliminary phone interview with basic questions, only about 20min. Then a second in-depth interview with more intense questions, about an hour.

Corps Member Interview

fair questions, hour long process easy.

CY Corps Member Interview

I applied online - interviewed at City Year.

The most important thing to know is that interviewers ask pre-scripted questions off a sheet, and are on their laptops as they interview you. They attempt to type your entire reply to each question before moving on to the next. This makes the pace of the interview very unnatural and non-conversational. Be prepared to give a formal-ish and complete answer, almost like a speech, and then wait for the interviewer to type before asking another question.

Interview Questions
    • They ask about how you will approach leading people more experienced than you, and how you will approach being led by people less experienced than you.   Answer Question
    No Negotiation- stipend is set

City Year Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at City Year.

Applied by the first, september 30th deadline, heard back two days later saying i was approved to interview, had interview the following week via phone, found out that i was accepted 2 weeks later