City Year Interview Questions & Reviews

63 interviews

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at City Year.

two rounds of interviews, phone interview does not go as long as they say. have answers to questions ready and well thought out. second round interview is face to face, be personable and passionate about position applying for

Interview Questions
    • Why you think you would be a good candidate for a future corps member   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at City Year.

It was hard.

Anonymous Employee  in  Miami, FL
    Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I interviewed online - interviewed at City Year.

This is a question from the screening interview

Interview Questions
    • What do you hope to achieve in your year with City Year?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  West Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Seattle, WA

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at City Year in May 2013.

For the initial phone interview they asked questions such as what is city year? why do you want to teach? tell us about an adverse situation you had to overcome. Explain a relationship which you had to keep professional.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at City Year in February 2013.

First you submit an online application (resume/CV, cover letter, references, etc). Then if the HR believes you are a good fit to the organization and the organization's cause, they will call you in for a selection interview. Finally, if the interviewer believes you have the basic qualities that they are looking for in their corps members, you will be given a third selection interview.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions were very basic behavioral questions. Expect many questions regarding why you chose their organization, why education, and what you would do in situations where there is conflict among your peers.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sacramento, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at City Year.

There was the paper application which I made sure to include any experience I had working with children and tutoring children even though I did it four years ago for a summer. During the phone interview, I was thrown off because I could hear him typing up my answers. Just remember that he has been asking the same questions to many people throughout the day. The face to face interview was surprising in the way that it was one to one, just me and one interviewer.

Interview Questions
    • During the face to face interview: "How do you describe City Year to your friends and family?"   View Answer

Crew Member Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at City Year.

Process was cool, 20 min phone interview. Read questions straight from a sheet, typed your answers giving you time to think. Second interview about 40 minutes, more details about city year. Pretty smooth process.

Corps Member Interview

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at City Year.

pretty basic interview. Applied online on the website. Received a notice to set up a phone interview. Asked basic questions. Got asked for a second interview after the completion of the first with similar questions. Offer took a total of around 3-4 weeks to get after initial interview.

Interview Questions
    • pretty basic questions (most difficult situation, a triumph you have had, etc.)   Answer Question
    no negotiation was available

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at City Year in March 2013.

The online application is long and similar to Peace Corps because they ask for two recommenders plus two essays. Do not take the essays too lightly; I spent three days on these short pieces because I wanted to insert relative examples of my experience, goals and ideals while discussing my knowledge of the program. The first phone interview was really quick because I was read; I had prepared answers and I had my resume in front of me. The second interview was in person with some new questions and some repeats. Make sure you come well dressed and that you act professional.

You have to be enthusiastic and show them why this position is right for you. Dont just summarize your resume.

If you can go to a school visit I strongly recommend you go. I got to talk a lot about my conversations with the current core members that I met during my visit. I felt more prepared and at ease because I had something concrete that I learned about the program.

Interview Questions
    • How would u spend your time in the headquarter office?

How do u feel about the uniform?
        Answer Question
    No negotiation.

City Year Corps Member Interview

Set up the interview via an online calendar. Initial phone interview that lasted around 25 minutes; interview question sheet can be easily found online. Was granted a second interview a couple days later.