City Year Interview Questions

Updated Sep 7, 2014
Updated Sep 7, 2014

Senior Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at City Year.

I applied as a Corps Member for a Senior Corps Team Leader position. The application is not very lengthy and requires questions about your strengths, weaknesses, an event you championed or drove to success etc. It also ask questions about your communication/leadership style. I was interviewed by our Director of Impact and School Partnerships. The interviewed asked many questions about how to deal with certain corps member situations so be prepared to think on your feet.

Interview Questions
    • I believe the biggest things that they will look for whether or not they are explicitly asked are 1) How emotionally grounded and adept are you to handle the stress of corps members, students and administration. 2) Are you deeply connected and bought in to the mission and values of City Year. 3) Have you proven yourself to be a clear leader and represent the organization in a strong way to community and school partners. 4) Are you willing to grow in the areas in which you are weak?   Answer Question

City Year Corps Member Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at City Year.

Application, Phone interview, and face to face interview.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation this is a volunteer position so you should not be financially motivated.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at City Year.

two rounds of interviews, phone interview does not go as long as they say. have answers to questions ready and well thought out. second round interview is face to face, be personable and passionate about position applying for

Interview Questions
    • Why you think you would be a good candidate for a future corps member   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at City Year.

It was hard.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied online - interviewed at City Year.

This is a question from the screening interview

Interview Questions
    • What do you hope to achieve in your year with City Year?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  West Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at City Year in May 2013.

For the initial phone interview they asked questions such as what is city year? why do you want to teach? tell us about an adverse situation you had to overcome. Explain a relationship which you had to keep professional.

Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at City Year in February 2013.

First you submit an online application (resume/CV, cover letter, references, etc). Then if the HR believes you are a good fit to the organization and the organization's cause, they will call you in for a selection interview. Finally, if the interviewer believes you have the basic qualities that they are looking for in their corps members, you will be given a third selection interview.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions were very basic behavioral questions. Expect many questions regarding why you chose their organization, why education, and what you would do in situations where there is conflict among your peers.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sacramento, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at City Year.

There was the paper application which I made sure to include any experience I had working with children and tutoring children even though I did it four years ago for a summer. During the phone interview, I was thrown off because I could hear him typing up my answers. Just remember that he has been asking the same questions to many people throughout the day. The face to face interview was surprising in the way that it was one to one, just me and one interviewer.

Interview Questions
    • During the face to face interview: "How do you describe City Year to your friends and family?"   View Answer

Crew Member Interview

I applied online - interviewed at City Year.

Process was cool, 20 min phone interview. Read questions straight from a sheet, typed your answers giving you time to think. Second interview about 40 minutes, more details about city year. Pretty smooth process.

Corps Member Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at City Year.

pretty basic interview. Applied online on the website. Received a notice to set up a phone interview. Asked basic questions. Got asked for a second interview after the completion of the first with similar questions. Offer took a total of around 3-4 weeks to get after initial interview.

Interview Questions
    • pretty basic questions (most difficult situation, a triumph you have had, etc.)   Answer Question
    no negotiation was available