City and County of San Francisco Interview Questions

Updated Aug 16, 2015

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at City and County of San Francisco (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Step one is taking and passing a written exam. Step two is completing a computerized test if you pass the written exam. Step three is interviewing in front of a panel. Step four is completing Rotation One (nine months), and interviewing in front of the panel again. Step five is completing Rotation Two (another nine months), and presenting a topic to the panel. You will then be placed on a ranked list for the next position in the accounting series. The process is lengthy, but the internship is paid. Very competitive program.

Interview Questions

• What would you like to learn next?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Salaries are fixed and can be viewed online at SFGov.org

IS Business Analyst - Principal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at City and County of San Francisco (San Francisco, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

First there was an online test, followed by a video interview, then 3 in person interviews. The test was very challenging and was mostly logic-type questions. The video interview was stressful and asked about my experience handling data and personnel issues, as the position is a data architecture position and is a supervisor role. The interviews met with the various members of the Analyst team who would be my colleagues.

Interview Questions

• Q. What experience do I have with data architecture   1 Answer

Negotiation

Yes, they offered a lower salary, and I came back with a higher offer. We eventually settled in the middle.

Health Program Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at City and County of San Francisco.

Interview

The entire civil service interview process is pretty easy. The processing time is long and cumbersome. Once an application is submitted, analysts review to ensure it meets the minimum requirements. Sometimes they reject an application without fully reading a person's resume or supplemental questions, so make it apparent that you meet the requirements.

Interview Questions

• They asked about experience - no behavioral based questions.   Answer Question

Performance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at City and County of San Francisco (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

First round included a panel interview with a test. Second round consisted of an interview with the director. Interviews were professional and fair - reasonable questions that assessed skills and fit. The interview content is confidential.

Student Design, Engineering Trainee Interview

Interview

Randomly received an email asking if I would be interested in an interview - months after submitting my initial application. Had a series of 2 interviews over the course of several weeks.

Interview Questions

• Experience with different data types, knowledge of databases, describe a recent GIS project you completed (either professional or academic)   Answer Question

Student Design Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at City and County of San Francisco (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Email communication for interview slots allotted to many prospective planning and design students. Interview took place in the department office concerned. Sit down formal interview for half hour was conducted by project managers (2 of them.) Very friendly, approachable and clear about project scope of work. Role of internship was spelt out clearly. Flexibility with work hours indicated. Feasibility of the project at hand was discussed at length.

Interview Questions

• What got you interested in urban planning?   1 Answer

Interview

Good and it will take a long time to get done. Test, Oral test and then the face to face hg hg sh ka j f abjf kajb ajkda kabd kadgh adg kagd kagd a

Interview Questions

• - Explain Interest rate Analysis, if the rates have been trending up - How does your skills relate to the job - Basic Knowledge about commercial paper - City raising the capital knowledge   Answer Question

Application

Interview

Submitted application online. 3 weeks later a recruiter sent me an exam invitation. Exam was held in a computer lab and comprised of 5 questions all requiring a 2-3 paragraph answer. About 2 weeks later, I was invited to an 'oral exam', for which I was provided a vauge brief (come prepared to design a 10min training program in 30mins). Spent a few days prepping relevant material that correlated to the department in which the position was to be based. Arrived to the oral exam only to be given an outline that indicated they wanted me to give a presentation on how to bake Banana Nut Bread. No joke. I was shocked and somewhat insulted as an applicant and a taxpayer that this was the final measure by which a decision would be made on a job with a starting salary of $74K! I did the presentation in front of a group of stone-faced people who didn't provide any feedback or ask any follow-up questions. I wasn't even escorted out or thanked for attending. And my portfolio of previous work? They asked in advance not to see it. Utterly rude personnel and the process was a farce.

Interview Questions

• The whole process was very disorganized and seemed deliberately opaque. I question whether it was more of a personality search rather than a skill-based assessment to find the best candidate.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

Pretty standard interview process. I received a call from a hiring manager about one week before the scheduled date of the interview. The interview consisted of two panel members. I was asked how my previous educational and professional experiences would help me perform the duties of the position.

PolicyAt SAN Francisco Board of Supervisors Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at City and County of San Francisco (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Applied to position with resume and cover letter. After a week, I received an email to set up a phone call. During the phone call, the interviewer asked about past experiences with policy work and previous work experience. The phone call was very relaxed and I received the offer immediately afterwards.