City and County of San Francisco Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 13, 2014
21 interviews

3.2

Student Design Trainee II Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at City and County of San Francisco in May 2012.

You may get contacted for an interview months after submitting an application. Interview was very formal. Applicant is called in to meet, answer some engineering-related questions, answer some questions regarding work flow. Most questions will be regarding the kind of work that you will be doing on a day to day basis. Depending on which office you are interviewing with, they will ask job-specific items and see how you answer them. I had to answer five questions before my interview was completed.

Interview Questions
    • Before having the verbal interview, you are presented with a piece of paper with a problem on it, and you are required to provide a solution to it.   Answer Question

Systems Data Analyst Interview

applied from online posting, took 2 months for someone to get back to me schedule an interview. Initial phone interview , hard time trying the understand the person , heavy accent.

Interview Questions
    • asking actually abtout sql queries over the phone which were kind of hard to think about when not in front of the computer, Kinda didnt make sense.   Answer Question

Student Design Trainee II Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at City and County of San Francisco in May 2013.

They call you after a few months of applying for the position, once you have the interview, it also take a while after they call you. I heard they are getting better on this

Clinical Social Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at City and County of San Francisco in March 2010.

This was a contract position, so it didn't require the usual testing to be placed on a list process that is common for City and County jobs. I submitted my resume, was invited for an interview, and then completed the hiring process with another company that administers pay and benefits. Technically, you are an employee of the contracted company, but you are hired, supervised/managed, and even fired (if that comes up) by employees of the City and County.

Interview Questions
    • It wasn't a technical question at all, just pointless. I was asked what my zodiac sign is.   View Answer
    No negotiations- contract position.

Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

The initial interview was over the phone. After a phone interview I went into the office and met with the Senior Engineer and the Manager. They asked general questions about my experience to see how well I fit with the company.

Wasn't interested.

Junior Management Assistant - Human Resources Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at City and County of San Francisco.

The panel interview format was formal, to be expected from the city government process. In this case it was particularly cold, not much acknowledgement beyond the 'hello' and 'goodbye' pleasantries. There was no time allotted for candidates to ask questions or add any comments, nor was there any information given on next steps in the candidate selection process.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do in a situation in which a relative of a city employee calls to ask about medical or other benefits of the employee?   View Answer

1406 Senior Clerk Interview

I interviewed through other source - interviewed at City and County of San Francisco.

Apply online for exam to establish a list eligibility. After establishing a list eligibility, hiring departments will contact you via email for job vacancies. You will be contacted for any openings for the job class. If you are interested, you will submit an interest form through URL specified in the email. If you are not interested, no action is needed, and you will remain on the list.

Interview Questions
    • Situational scenario question. Was given competing 4 situations, and asked what I would do.   Answer Question

Lifeguard Interview

A two part interview... Featuring a Mandatory skills assessment, and panel interview. A thorough online application tests your ability to follow directions.

Management Assistant Interview

Had to take 2 tests for the 1840 & 1842, and 1844 series. The 1844 test included budget and analysis questions which were more difficult. 1840 and 1842 were not so bad, a lot of stock knowledge similar to SAT-type questions. Some of the tests were held in a large room with maybe 300 people.

Interview Questions
    • You must take the written test and rank high enough before you can be considered for an interview. Interview questions were normal and not too difficult.   Answer Question
    No negotiation - salaries are known (public information).

Victim Witness Investigator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at City and County of San Francisco.

Applied online for a Victim Witness Investigator position in the San Francisco District Attorney's office. About 2 to 3 weeks later, was called to interview at the Hall of Justice. First, there was a written test. After, sat for a panel interview of 3 supervisors and 1 HR rep. This interview was very structured, much like the oral boards for a law enforcement position. A couple days later, I received a call to come in for a second interview. This interview was a panel interview with three of DA's senior management from different departments. The questions were the standard: Why do you want to work here? What experience do you have working with diversity? Tell me about a time when..., etc. What really stands out about this 2nd interview was just how conversational it felt. I noticed the panel took very few notes and were very willing to leave their scripted questions to engage me on the responses I was providing. A few hours after the interview, I was called to interview with the District Attorney himself. This interview, while still formal, was fairly relaxed. The interviewers consisted of the DA and the hiring manager. It went pretty quick, perhaps lasting 10 to 15 mins. The questions were very open ended: Why do you want to work here? What are your strengths and weaknesses? What do you have to offer? Later that day, I was offered the position by phone. Overall, despite extensive vetting, the interview process was very efficient and everyone involved was extremely pleasant.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a little about yourself. Most difficult interview question ever.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Salaries are established by union contract. You start at the bottom of the range.

Worked for City and County of San Francisco? Contribute to the Community!