City of Calgary Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 19, 2014
19 interviews

3.2

Recreation Leader Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at City of Calgary in January 2010.

Behavioural interview - City of calgary posts the questions online check out their website.
    Also, be prepared to present a game (like soccer or card game) to show you can work with kids and know how to play games. I suggest just going online and picking camp games.

Sometimes they do a panel interview, the key is knowing how to work with people.

Interview Questions
    • IF you could be an animal what animal would it be and why?   Answer Question
    No real room for negotiation

Summer Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at City of Calgary in March 2014.

1. Find a position on the City's website
    2. Pass through screening questions
    3. Load Cover Letter and Resume in one file
    4. Get an Interview

Interview is based on STAR approach (Situation\Task - Action - Result). You need to try to understand what qualifications are necessary for the posting and try to find any examples for the interview.

Examples of your previous projects could help a lot.

Interview Questions
    • When last time you did not follow the rules. How is is affected your business?   Answer Question
    • When the last time you made an error and what were the consequences?   Answer Question
    As far as I understood, if you are a new hire, there is no negotiation.

Business Process Analyst Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at City of Calgary.

Apply online and followed the application / interview process as laid out on the website. There are no surprises, they follow this process to the letter. Interview process is based on STAR (Situation/ Task/ Action/ Result) although there is opportunity for you to ask questions at the end.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you implemented an unpopular process and what did you do to ensure its success?   Answer Question

Any Postion With the City! Interview

The City uses questions where you are required to give a SPECIFIC situation you were in, the action YOU took, and the result. Many people fail this because they give a generalized "what they would do" answer (which is a fail), or they highlight actions of their entire team instead of their own contributions (another fail). Applicants should look at the HR website which outlines the process more.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you led a project committee and others on your committee were not carrying their weight.   Answer Question

Customer Service Attendant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I interviewed in-person. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at City of Calgary in August 2010.

I sent a resume, then I got a call telling me they wanted an interview, then I showed up for an interview. In the interview they asked me a series of questions, probably about twenty. The questions were to be answered in STAR format (Situation, Task, Action, Result)

There was no negotiation phase.

Anonymous Interview

We had to apply in person, complete an application form and pass an examination for basic skills in map reading and logic and administration.

Interview Questions
    • No specific question, although hadn't expected the "test." It was perfectly fair, nothing tricky about it.   Answer Question
    You could indicate your preference for location. I was offered work in a neighbouring community in my own ward, so I was able to vote at work.

Waste and Recycling Driver Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at City of Calgary.

Interviewed in a downtown office for seasonal employment.

Interview Questions
    • Will you be able to compete with younger, stronger workers   View Answer

I was offered a different position with the city at that time

Process Procedure & Report Analyst Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at City of Calgary in November 2013.

I have a interview on Nov. 15th 2013 regarding to the position of Process Procedure & Report Analyst with Public Safety Communications department. At the beginning of the interview, the interviewer introduce that all the behavioral questions are following the STAR (Situation, task, action, and rebuilt) format. Your answer will be filled under each of the STAR section. In addition, you have a chance to skip the question but you have to get back to it at the end.

Remember to phrase all your examples in the STAR format.

Business Process Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at City of Calgary in February 2011.

Applied over their online site and was called in for an interview. Team interview of the hiring manager, subordinate and HR rep. They pretty strictly follow the STARS approach, (situation, task, action, result), and don't concern themselves too much with discussion of previous roles. Received an offer one week after interview and accepted as was.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about an occasion where you were leading a project and part way through something change and you were unable to achieve the deliverables."   Answer Question

Planning Technician Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at City of Calgary in August 2013.

Initial call came a few of days after the competition closed. Called for a test on Friday and wrote it on Monday. They said if I passed I would be called for an interview in a week and a half or so. Was called the very next day to set up an interview. The interview was scheduled a week and a half later. Did not feel I did well at the interview and am sure I will not be getting an offer, but sensed definite age discrimination too. (I am an older person) By the end of the interview I knew they were not interested because of the hints they dropped about "we've interviewed 20 people already", "it's a very demanding job". They were very polite of course, but you can read between the lines.

Interview Questions
    • What company policy or procedure did you NOT agree with and didn't want to follow?

What was an example of when you DIDN"T pay attention to detail and what happened?
        View Answer

Worked for City of Calgary? Contribute to the Community!