City of Calgary Interview Questions

Updated Apr 15, 2015

3.2

Recreation Leader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at City of Calgary in January 2010.

Interview

Behavioural interview - City of calgary posts the questions online check out their website. Also, be prepared to present a game (like soccer or card game) to show you can work with kids and know how to play games. I suggest just going online and picking camp games. Sometimes they do a panel interview, the key is knowing how to work with people.

Interview Questions

• IF you could be an animal what animal would it be and why?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No real room for negotiation

Surveyor Assistant II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at City of Calgary (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in March 2015.

Interview

to prepare for the interview, highly suggest looking at the tips and tools offered in the careers section of the city of calgary website. 3 panel interview in a board room type of setting beginning with behavioural type questions as they obviously want to get an idea of your character and how you would fit in with their business unit.

Interview Questions

• again. review the tips on the interview process on the website. Situation, Task, Action, Result   1 Answer

Recreation Leader Interview

Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at City of Calgary (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in February 2015.

Interview

Basic Behavioral interview questions. Answers were recorded by a panel using the Situation, Task, Action, Result Method. Two members of the panel recorded my answers. The frustrating part was I was told by the manager that they wanted to hire me but were bound to the Bahavioral method. It is unfortunate they are bound to the method as I believe it would have been a great role.

Community Shuttle Operator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at City of Calgary.

Interview

It was a LONG process! I submitted a resume in November and didn't start training till August of the next year! The hiring process is about an 8 step process. Complete information about the process can by found on the Calgary.ca careers website. It was a long hard process but hang in there and stick with it!

Interview Questions

• In the interview portion, they ask you how you would react in certain situations. I found these types of questions difficult because I had no idea about what the correct answers were.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at City of Calgary.

Interview

Apply online and followed the application / interview process as laid out on the website. There are no surprises, they follow this process to the letter. Interview process is based on STAR (Situation/ Task/ Action/ Result) although there is opportunity for you to ask questions at the end.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you implemented an unpopular process and what did you do to ensure its success?   Answer Question

Any Postion With the City! Interview

Interview

The City uses questions where you are required to give a SPECIFIC situation you were in, the action YOU took, and the result. Many people fail this because they give a generalized "what they would do" answer (which is a fail), or they highlight actions of their entire team instead of their own contributions (another fail). Applicants should look at the HR website which outlines the process more.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you led a project committee and others on your committee were not carrying their weight.   Answer Question

Summer Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at City of Calgary (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in March 2014.

Interview

1. Find a position on the City's website 2. Pass through screening questions 3. Load Cover Letter and Resume in one file 4. Get an Interview Interview is based on STAR approach (Situation\Task - Action - Result). You need to try to understand what qualifications are necessary for the posting and try to find any examples for the interview. Examples of your previous projects could help a lot.

Interview Questions

• When last time you did not follow the rules. How is is affected your business?   Answer Question
    • When the last time you made an error and what were the consequences?   Answer Question

Negotiation

As far as I understood, if you are a new hire, there is no negotiation.

Waste and Recycling Driver Interview

Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at City of Calgary (Calgary, AB (Canada)).

Interview

Interviewed in a downtown office for seasonal employment.

Interview Questions

• Will you be able to compete with younger, stronger workers   1 Answer

I was offered a different position with the city at that time

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at City of Calgary in November 2013.

Interview

I have a interview on Nov. 15th 2013 regarding to the position of Process Procedure & Report Analyst with Public Safety Communications department. At the beginning of the interview, the interviewer introduce that all the behavioral questions are following the STAR (Situation, task, action, and rebuilt) format. Your answer will be filled under each of the STAR section. In addition, you have a chance to skip the question but you have to get back to it at the end. Remember to phrase all your examples in the STAR format.

Planning Technician Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at City of Calgary in August 2013.

Interview

Initial call came a few of days after the competition closed. Called for a test on Friday and wrote it on Monday. They said if I passed I would be called for an interview in a week and a half or so. Was called the very next day to set up an interview. The interview was scheduled a week and a half later. Did not feel I did well at the interview and am sure I will not be getting an offer, but sensed definite age discrimination too. (I am an older person) By the end of the interview I knew they were not interested because of the hints they dropped about "we've interviewed 20 people already", "it's a very demanding job". They were very polite of course, but you can read between the lines.

Interview Questions

• What company policy or procedure did you NOT agree with and didn't want to follow? What was an example of when you DIDN"T pay attention to detail and what happened?   1 Answer