City of Calgary Interview Questions

Updated Aug 19, 2014
Updated Aug 19, 2014

3.2

Recreation Leader Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at City of Calgary in January 2010.

Behavioural interview - City of calgary posts the questions online check out their website.
    Also, be prepared to present a game (like soccer or card game) to show you can work with kids and know how to play games. I suggest just going online and picking camp games.

Sometimes they do a panel interview, the key is knowing how to work with people.

Interview Questions
    • IF you could be an animal what animal would it be and why?   Answer Question
    No real room for negotiation

Business Process Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at City of Calgary.

Apply online and followed the application / interview process as laid out on the website. There are no surprises, they follow this process to the letter. Interview process is based on STAR (Situation/ Task/ Action/ Result) although there is opportunity for you to ask questions at the end.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you implemented an unpopular process and what did you do to ensure its success?   Answer Question

Any Postion With the City! Interview

The City uses questions where you are required to give a SPECIFIC situation you were in, the action YOU took, and the result. Many people fail this because they give a generalized "what they would do" answer (which is a fail), or they highlight actions of their entire team instead of their own contributions (another fail). Applicants should look at the HR website which outlines the process more.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you led a project committee and others on your committee were not carrying their weight.   Answer Question

Summer Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at City of Calgary in March 2014.

1. Find a position on the City's website
    2. Pass through screening questions
    3. Load Cover Letter and Resume in one file
    4. Get an Interview

Interview is based on STAR approach (Situation\Task - Action - Result). You need to try to understand what qualifications are necessary for the posting and try to find any examples for the interview.

Examples of your previous projects could help a lot.

Interview Questions
    • When last time you did not follow the rules. How is is affected your business?   Answer Question
    • When the last time you made an error and what were the consequences?   Answer Question
    As far as I understood, if you are a new hire, there is no negotiation.

Anonymous Interview

We had to apply in person, complete an application form and pass an examination for basic skills in map reading and logic and administration.

Interview Questions
    • No specific question, although hadn't expected the "test." It was perfectly fair, nothing tricky about it.   Answer Question
    You could indicate your preference for location. I was offered work in a neighbouring community in my own ward, so I was able to vote at work.

Waste and Recycling Driver Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at City of Calgary.

Interviewed in a downtown office for seasonal employment.

Interview Questions
    • Will you be able to compete with younger, stronger workers   View Answer

I was offered a different position with the city at that time

Process Procedure & Report Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at City of Calgary in November 2013.

I have a interview on Nov. 15th 2013 regarding to the position of Process Procedure & Report Analyst with Public Safety Communications department. At the beginning of the interview, the interviewer introduce that all the behavioral questions are following the STAR (Situation, task, action, and rebuilt) format. Your answer will be filled under each of the STAR section. In addition, you have a chance to skip the question but you have to get back to it at the end.

Remember to phrase all your examples in the STAR format.

Planning Technician Interview

I applied online - interviewed at City of Calgary in August 2013.

Initial call came a few of days after the competition closed. Called for a test on Friday and wrote it on Monday. They said if I passed I would be called for an interview in a week and a half or so. Was called the very next day to set up an interview. The interview was scheduled a week and a half later. Did not feel I did well at the interview and am sure I will not be getting an offer, but sensed definite age discrimination too. (I am an older person) By the end of the interview I knew they were not interested because of the hints they dropped about "we've interviewed 20 people already", "it's a very demanding job". They were very polite of course, but you can read between the lines.

Interview Questions
    • What company policy or procedure did you NOT agree with and didn't want to follow?

What was an example of when you DIDN"T pay attention to detail and what happened?
        View Answer

Assessment Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at City of Calgary in May 2012.

Began with overview of resume and relating skills relevant to the job. Afterwards there were several behavioural questions to gauge if I was competent. Overall it was an hour interview process and I received a call back in a week with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time where you had to deal with a client who was not happy with a service that you provided.   Answer Question

Program Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at City of Calgary in October 2011.

Online application process is quite simple and straight forward... the job descriptions are detailed. There is even a way to track applications online, but unfortunately that is only helpful if someone updates the information!

About a month after my application, I was phoned by the hiring manager to go to an interview. The interview was set up for the next day which was very good. That hasn't always been my experience!

Three people including the hiring manager were at the interview and they had specific information about the city and the position which was basically read to me. Then they asked the questions that they had been told to ask. I gather that is to more easily differentiate between the candidates.

As they wanted to hire somebody quickly, I was told I would know if I was successful within TWO weeks. Since I had to drop off some extra information they wanted from me which was still in the mail for the interview, I called three days after the interview to make sure of where to drop off the information. At that time I was told not to bother as I had not been successful.

Although I would like to work for the City, and find that the main building seems to be full of happy people, I didn't really get that impression at this other office - and it was a huge maze!

Interview Questions

Worked for City of Calgary? Contribute to the Community!