City of Calgary

17 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Recreation Leader Interview

Recreation Leader

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at City of Calgary in January 2010.

Interview Details – Behavioural interview - City of calgary posts the questions online check out their website.
Also, be prepared to present a game (like soccer or card game) to show you can work with kids and know how to play games. I suggest just going online and picking camp games.

Sometimes they do a panel interview, the key is knowing how to work with people.

Interview Question – IF you could be an animal what animal would it be and why?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No real room for negotiation

Any Postion With the City! Interview

Any Postion With the City!

Interviewed at City of Calgary

Interview Details – The City uses questions where you are required to give a SPECIFIC situation you were in, the action YOU took, and the result. Many people fail this because they give a generalized "what they would do" answer (which is a fail), or they highlight actions of their entire team instead of their own contributions (another fail). Applicants should look at the HR website which outlines the process more.

Interview Question – Name a time when you led a project committee and others on your committee were not carrying their weight.   Answer Question

Customer Service Attendant Interview

Customer Service Attendant
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at City of Calgary in August 2010.

Interview Details – I sent a resume, then I got a call telling me they wanted an interview, then I showed up for an interview. In the interview they asked me a series of questions, probably about twenty. The questions were to be answered in STAR format (Situation, Task, Action, Result)

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation phase.

Anonymous Interview

Interviewed at City of Calgary

Interview Details – We had to apply in person, complete an application form and pass an examination for basic skills in map reading and logic and administration.

Interview Question – No specific question, although hadn't expected the "test." It was perfectly fair, nothing tricky about it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – You could indicate your preference for location. I was offered work in a neighbouring community in my own ward, so I was able to vote at work.

Waste and Recycling Driver Interview

Waste and Recycling Driver
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at City of Calgary.

Interview Details – Interviewed in a downtown office for seasonal employment.

Interview Question – Will you be able to compete with younger, stronger workers   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I was offered a different position with the city at that time

Process Procedure & Report Analyst Interview

Process Procedure & Report Analyst

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at City of Calgary in November 2013.

Interview Details – I have a interview on Nov. 15th 2013 regarding to the position of Process Procedure & Report Analyst with Public Safety Communications department. At the beginning of the interview, the interviewer introduce that all the behavioral questions are following the STAR (Situation, task, action, and rebuilt) format. Your answer will be filled under each of the STAR section. In addition, you have a chance to skip the question but you have to get back to it at the end.

Remember to phrase all your examples in the STAR format.

Interview Question – What make you satisfy and dissatisfy in your work?   Answer Question

Business Process Analyst Interview

Business Process Analyst
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at City of Calgary in February 2011.

Interview Details – Applied over their online site and was called in for an interview. Team interview of the hiring manager, subordinate and HR rep. They pretty strictly follow the STARS approach, (situation, task, action, result), and don't concern themselves too much with discussion of previous roles. Received an offer one week after interview and accepted as was.

Interview Question – "Tell me about an occasion where you were leading a project and part way through something change and you were unable to achieve the deliverables."   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Planning Technician Interview

Planning Technician

I applied online - interviewed at City of Calgary in August 2013.

Interview Details – Initial call came a few of days after the competition closed. Called for a test on Friday and wrote it on Monday. They said if I passed I would be called for an interview in a week and a half or so. Was called the very next day to set up an interview. The interview was scheduled a week and a half later. Did not feel I did well at the interview and am sure I will not be getting an offer, but sensed definite age discrimination too. (I am an older person) By the end of the interview I knew they were not interested because of the hints they dropped about "we've interviewed 20 people already", "it's a very demanding job". They were very polite of course, but you can read between the lines.

Interview Question – What company policy or procedure did you NOT agree with and didn't want to follow?

What was an example of when you DIDN"T pay attention to detail and what happened?
  View Answer

Emergency and Non-Emergency Communication Interview

Emergency and Non-Emergency Communication
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at City of Calgary in October 2010.

Interview Details – There are 3 steps, an initial interview of 5 minutes, and then an aptitude test, and then finally a formal interview. The first interview is to evaluate if the person has the basic qualifications, and what are the basic motivations for taking on the job. The aptitude test involves evaluating a number of emergency and non-emergency calls, typing in the details to the emergency and non-emergency authorities and to show proper judgement. If they pass this, they are required to fill out a long form involving past criminal, drug and alcohol history. The final interview is to see if the person has the right mindset by evaluating their past activities in past jobs on how fit they would be in the position. If this is done, the last candidate is then run through a police check, drug tests, and 6 week training period.

Interview Question – Give a good example of an emergency or problem that was solved using ingenuity without breaking any laws.   View Answer

Assessment Assistant Interview

Assessment Assistant
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at City of Calgary in May 2012.

Interview Details – Began with overview of resume and relating skills relevant to the job. Afterwards there were several behavioural questions to gauge if I was competent. Overall it was an hour interview process and I received a call back in a week with an offer.

Interview Question – Explain a time where you had to deal with a client who was not happy with a service that you provided.   Answer Question

Worked for City of Calgary? Contribute to the Community!