City of Hope

Relevance Date Difficulty

Analyst Interview

Analyst
Duarte, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at City of Hope in September 2012.

Interview Details – The hiring and interview process is lengthy. Once you apply do not expect a response anytime soon. It took me over 3 months from interview to hire date. The background took almost 2 months to complete. The HR staff are very helpful and very responsive once the process has begun, it is worth the wait and the hospital is a great place to be.

Negotiation Details – Was told what it will pay and if I wanted it.

Programmer Analyst Interview

Programmer Analyst
Duarte, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at City of Hope in October 2011.

Interview Details – Hiring and interview process are standard faire will a day long interview consisting of 8 people , with an initial phone interview. The interviews take 30min to 1 hour each. The hiring process consists of background check as well as a health screening.

Interview Question – None really.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No room for negotiation and my title offered did not fit my actual real world title.

Very Easy Interview

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Fellow
Duarte, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at City of Hope in October 2010.

Interview Details – Applied on Biocareers Sunday night and got a phone call from the PI early Monday morning. She said that she will hire me right after the interview. A little bit of technical questions regarding my previous work but she already did her homework reading my papers. Overall, easy interview.

Negotiation Details – The PI said okay to everything I negotiate for but it never materialized. The salary is meager, so if you don't get the other benefits not sure if it is worth it.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

PhD Student Interview

PhD Student
Duarte, CA

I applied online - interviewed at City of Hope in February 2011.

Interview Details – need to interview with more than 5 professors. It will take more than a hour. Professor will ask about your personal interests and previous research experience. Finally, they will give you some time to ask them about their research.

Interview Question – Most questions are predictable. Just be well prepared about your research experience and try to demonstrate strong interest in biology, especially something about medicine, therapy, cancer or diseases.   Answer Question

Programmer Analyst Interview

Programmer Analyst
Duarte, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at City of Hope.

Interview Details – I was contacted regarding a position via the phone. I had two interviews total with the manager (phone) and the director (in-person). The environment was very friendly and both interviews were more like back and forth conversations than a grilling interview.

Interview Question – I was asked several gotcha questions in the form of "wrong" statements to see if I was paying attention. I politely corrected my interviewers and they were happy to see I 1) knew the answer and 2) spoke up.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The negotiation phase was brief and over the phone. There isn't a lot of room for negotiation, but you can get more vacation if you really push and they really want you.

Senior Accountant Interview

Senior Accountant
Duarte, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at City of Hope in April 2010.

Interview Details – everything from your initial communications with the company, organization and planning of the interview, number and type of interviews, and any advice you might offer to other interview candidates. Bonus points for your perceptions of the people, office, and work culture.

Interview Question – Do you think you would experience culture shock?   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Research Associate
Duarte, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at City of Hope in January 2010.

Interview Details – Contacted a person directly involved in the company instead of going through human resources, which made the process of interviewing and getting an offer more efficient. Love the environment and the philosophy behind their work

Interview Questions

Clinical Research Associate II Interview

Clinical Research Associate II
Duarte, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at City of Hope in November 2007.

Interview Details – Panel interview with 4 clinical trials administratrors, 3 scientific research staff in research specific to position, and medical terminology test. Offer for interview was received by email. Follow up was expedient, likely due to the eagerness to fill position. Clinical trial administrators asked very general questions about skills and familiarity in clinical trials in oncology as a whole industry. Scientific researchers gave more insight in what would be entailed in the position on a daily and long term goals of the research project.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about any challenges you had regarding getting along with others in the workplace?   Answer Question
  • Are you flexible and able to multi-task? Give an example.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Straight forward, very little wiggle room - agreed to go $2K above asking price. No allocations for conference reimbursements, standard continuing education reimbursements after 1 year of employment.

Worked for City of Hope? Contribute to the Community!