City of Houston Financial Analyst IV III Interview Questions & Reviews

1 interview

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Financial Analyst IV III Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at City of Houston in December 2009.

Initially, I had applied a few times before my application was selected. I aligned my skills and experience based on their job listing. After the second application, I was contacted by hr representative for initial interview with the immediate supervisor. I met with him within four days of the phone call. He asked about how much experience I had with SAP which I am extremely familiar due to previous position. Also, he asked about what level of experience I had with Excel and Access. There was no skill test involved. The interview went well and was called back for a second interview to meet his manager. That interview was more in depth and it last over one hour compared to the half and hour with the immediate supervisor. The immediate supervisor was also in the office with me. The second interview was more questions on Excel, accounting and city government experience. He mentioned one of the cities he previously worked in and I told him that I have traveled there on vacation. That interview went great and was called for a follow interview the next week. I met with the same manager but with the immediate supervisor. This time he asked more about my previous work experience, contacts, and a couple of references. I gave all the information and it lasted on twenty minutes. A few weeks later, I called the immediate supervisor back and he said they were still interviewing others. Then, hr called and extended and extended an offer. I counter offered and they accepted. I accepted the position. Most of the people I work with have been with the City of Houston for over 15 years. It is an extremely different environment compared to corporate industry. Unless you are in management more than likely you will have a cubicle. Also, if you work in finance or other similar departments then you work overtime regularly. The work culture revolves around how quickly items get approved by city council.

Interview Questions
  • How would your current boss or a team member describe you?   View Answer
  • Tell me what you like and do not like about the job you applied for?   View Answer
Yes, I was able to negotiate. My advice is to not counter offer too many times.

Worked for City of Houston? Contribute to the Community!