City of Houston Interview Questions

Updated Jul 18, 2014
Updated Jul 18, 2014

2.4

Human Resources Interview

Applied on line. Application status changed from "received application" to "departmental reviewing". It has been 2 months and no updates. I called to follow up and was told cannot speak to hiring manager. I asked if position was still open and lady informed me she did not know. Asked her for advice on what to do. She said we are slow at hiring and just keep checking your status on line. Very frustrating and unprofessional on their part. If one is not qualified then change status to not qualified.

Police Sergeant Interview

I applied online. The process took 8 months - interviewed at City of Houston.

It is a very long and difficult process to become a hostage negotiator. One must study the department's policies, remember officer safety and concerns, and prepare for the scenarios. Additionally, an officer must have a stellar back ground and be highly recommended by supervisors. This is a very long process that takes almost a year. Once one is selected for the school, the school is three weeks. So, considering all the training, one can assume he/she must be prepared.

Interview Questions
    • This is a secret. Applicants will have to figure that out on their own. It is one of the reasons the process is difficult.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst IV Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 months - interviewed at City of Houston.

Most of my interviews were informal and the job postings were posted out of formality. They already usually know who they are hiring. Human Resources is constantly re-assigned to different departments, which slows down the hiring process.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at City of Houston in April 2012.

I was called in for an interview and offered the job a week later! The panel consisted of 3 people and the questions were not rocket science. My advice would be to study the position you applied for and have a set of questions to ask to show interest in the job you'll be doing. It shows the interviewer that you took time to read the qualifications. Benefits and pay are decent. Learn as much as you can after starting because it will pay off in the long run when other opportunities are presented.

Interview Questions
    • How do you deal with difficult co-workers?   View Answer

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at City of Houston in June 2008.

I submitted an application online, they called me for an interview , the manager was nice and questions were about back ground

there was no negotiation

Management Analyst II Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at City of Houston.

Applied online and was invited for interview, interview had three young professional panel members and they were very friendly and in my opinion the interview was very easy.

Interview Questions
    • what skills and experience i would bring to the job if hired   Answer Question

Senior Trainer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

The process took 5 days - interviewed at City of Houston in March 2009.

We have a formal process for advertising job opportunities. The process is very structured and requires applicants to submit application and resumes via an online applicaiton.

Interview Questions
    • What are your expectations of the organization?   View Answer

Financial Analyst IV Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at City of Houston in April 2013.

Manager was late to the interview. She did not seem interested in interviewing me. It was like just part of a process that she had to follow. The job was reposted the day before my interview. My theory is if you are not really interested in hiring me, DONT waste my time. There were several people there on the same day to interview. One person left before me and one was waiting after me. They had no intention off hiring any of us.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected questions....Who would you give the unoccupied office to, a person that already works here and wants the office or the new person coming into the job that normally works in that office?   Answer Question

Graduate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

The process took 2 days - interviewed at City of Houston in April 2009.

It was amazing. It as a small group interview with lots of challenging but worthwhile questions. They were very kind and respectful.

Interview Questions
    • What is Manning's equation for pipe flow?   View Answer

Mechanic III Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 months - interviewed at City of Houston in February 2009.

First, do not expect the hiring process to be quick. There is the application screening process, then interviews (1 to 4 depending on the position), then the actual selection process. It can easily take 3 months from application to starting date. Interviews are typically done by a panel, and usually consist of a series of questions that may or may not be relevant to the job. Interviewers seem to like black and white answers and dislike any answer that doesn't defer to policy.

Interview Questions
    • "Why are you the best candidate for the job?"   View Answer
    There is little if any room for salary negotiation below the executive level.

Worked for City of Houston? Contribute to the Community!