City of Houston Interview Questions

Updated Apr 21, 2015

2.5

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at City of Houston in August 2013.

Interview

It is usually a 2-3 round interviewing process where you meet with a panel of 3 employees and they ask various questions.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

You really have no room to negotiate.

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at City of Houston in August 2013.

Interview

Interviewed by C.O.S., Chief of Design and Construction, and Assistant Deputy Director, for a position in the Design and Construction Division with the General Services Department to design upcoming projects for new libraries, police, fire stations, office, and maintenance buildings. Interview process was a formal round table discussion of my background and qualifications for the position.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in working for the City when your previous experience has been in the private sector?   Answer Question

Odd Interview Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at City of Houston.

Interview

Interviewer was busy working on other projects

Financial Analyst IV Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at City of Houston (Houston, TX) in April 2013.

Interview

Manager was late to the interview. She did not seem interested in interviewing me. It was like just part of a process that she had to follow. The job was reposted the day before my interview. My theory is if you are not really interested in hiring me, DONT waste my time. There were several people there on the same day to interview. One person left before me and one was waiting after me. They had no intention off hiring any of us.

Interview Questions

• Unexpected questions....Who would you give the unoccupied office to, a person that already works here and wants the office or the new person coming into the job that normally works in that office?   Answer Question

Administrative Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online – interviewed at City of Houston (Houston, TX) in March 2013.

Interview

The position I applied for was posted in February and I received a call last week for an interview that was today (3/27/13). It was a panel a three. It wasn't intimidating at all. They talked about the position and questioned me on my skill and why that position. Afterwards, I took a writing test.

If everything goes well, they will call me to speak with the supervisor over the position before they make a hiring decision.

Interview Questions

• how would i handle an angry coworker?   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at City of Houston (Houston, TX) in April 2012.

Interview

I was called in for an interview and offered the job a week later! The panel consisted of 3 people and the questions were not rocket science. My advice would be to study the position you applied for and have a set of questions to ask to show interest in the job you'll be doing. It shows the interviewer that you took time to read the qualifications. Benefits and pay are decent. Learn as much as you can after starting because it will pay off in the long run when other opportunities are presented.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with difficult co-workers?   1 Answer

Financial Analyst II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online – interviewed at City of Houston (Houston, TX) in June 2011.

Interview

filled out online application, got a call back after a month. person who scheduled my interview was very pleasant on the phone and worked with my schedule.
    interview was with two very friendly managers. questions were not very difficult, they went through my resume and admired my background and were really positive. however they said they would make a decision end of June and I never heard back from them. i wish they would let the candidate know either way so the candidate is not sitting and waiting around for a response.

Interview Questions

• nothing really, they asked me about what i have on my resume such as Excel and SAP experience   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at City of Houston in June 2010.

Interview

Easy just be yourself and be willing to learn

Negotiation

None just took the pay

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at City of Houston (Houston, TX) in January 2010.

Interview

The application process consists of an online application. I was then called for an interview, in which I was interviewed by a panel of 3. Two were employees of the division and the other was an outside City employee. There were a series of questions that the panel members took turns asking. Following the interview, I had to complete an assessment test in which I had to create an Excel spreadsheet for the given topic. The panel members were nice and patient. The people and the office gave me the impression that it was a relaxed, yet serious environment.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you used Excel to create a spreadsheet and what was the out come.   Answer Question

Negotiation

You are rarely able to negotiate the salary unless it is an Executive Level posision. If you are willing to take a lower pay with decent benefits, then the City of Houston may be the place for you.

Graduate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at City of Houston (Houston, TX) in April 2009.

Interview

It was amazing. It as a small group interview with lots of challenging but worthwhile questions. They were very kind and respectful.

Interview Questions

• What is Manning's equation for pipe flow?   1 Answer