City of Las Cruces

Relevance Date Difficulty

Bus Driver Interview

Bus Driver
Las Cruces, NM

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at City of Las Cruces in August 2010.

Interview Details – one interview with people that have never done the job and do not know what they are talking about asking questions. Many of the questions have no pertinence to the job and are at best silly. There are no actual drivers in the interview to ask technical or job related questions.

Interview Question – I was asked what I would do if a person caused a fight on a bus.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There were no negotiations it was this is it take it or leave it.

Associate Planner Interview

Associate Planner
Las Cruces, NM

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at City of Las Cruces in November 2009.

Interview Details – Initial communication was through a phone call to schedule an interview over the phone. From that point the vast majority of communication was via the email. I was subject to two interviews. I was impressed with the first interview over the phone. Those interviewing asked very specific questions and demonstrated their own knowledge in the field of planning. This interview was conducted by two individuals and very technical with very few "if you were an animal, what would you be" type questions, which was refreshing. The second interview I interviewed in person. The facility was brand new and well organized. I was interviewed by three individuals, the department head, section administrator, and the immediate supervisor. The department head was formally dressed, while the section admin and the supervisor were in business casual attire, which was my "you're not in Kansas anymore" moment. Coming from the east I came from a formal professional culture. They branded Las Cruces the "land of manana" as its cultural perspective, meaning its very relaxed. The interviewers were knowledgeable and curtious, asked poinent questions with a few more "animal" type questions. Overall the experience was a good one.

Interview Question – [After explaining the previous holder of the position's role] What do you see you're role being in this position and for the organization as whole within the City?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Nonexistent. The range given in the ad was used as a platform to negotiate from. The minimum on the range is what they offer and I've heard of only one other to negotiate 5% higher than the minimum. No one comes to Las Cruces to make big money. If money is the only reason to come here I would suggest going someplace else. Its a great place for experience and the people are good to work with.

Worked for City of Las Cruces? Contribute to the Community!