City of New York

Relevance Date Difficulty

Technical Interview

Technical
New York, NY

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at City of New York in March 2014.

Interview Details – My resume was sent to a lead person because of a personal contact on the inside. The process started in two days after that. The background check was about 2-3 weeks

Negotiation Details – Standout! This goes for anywhere. Show motivation, be smart, almost indispensable, very sociable, (no too talkative) but ask intelligent questions like you want to learn or you've done your research.
Oh, the background check interview process was scary.

Intern Interview

Intern
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at City of New York in May 2012.

Interview Details – The application consists of a resume and cover letter. After a phone interview, I was brought in to speak to four members of the Office. We spoke about my background related to the field of international relations as well as city administration, my strengths and weaknesses, and why I'm studying what I'm studying. After this, they all left the room for a moment to discuss their thoughts, after which they returned to let me know I would be interviewing with the Deputy Commissioner of the Office. That interview was more about aspects of my professional work experience that he was most interested in, and I spoke about what I have found most enjoyable during my tenure at those organizations. A few weeks later the Office called to offer me the job, which was followed by a background investigation that took a little longer than a month and a half.

Interview Question – How do you feel about the Mayor's position on stop and frisk?   Answer Question

Attorney Interview

Attorney

Interviewed at City of New York

Interview Details – You must apply on line. initial interview. You will receive a second interview with upper management. If interested, an offer will be made within two weeks. No trick questions. You will usuallyinterview with a panel of three people. I did not find it to be high pressure at all. I found the interview process to be very relaxed.

Interview Question – always the dreaded - what is your weakness   View Answer

Negotiation Details – none

Legal Intern Interview

Legal Intern

I applied online - interviewed at City of New York in May 2010.

Interview Details – I applied online and didn't hear anything for six months. The interview process was done with a supervising attorney. After that, I didn't receive an offer until three weeks later but it was contingent upon other HR approvals. I finally started after five months of waiting for the HR approval.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question

Communications Interview

Communications

I applied in-person and interviewed at City of New York.

Interview Details – Stringent background investigations. Process can be slow, but when senior management decides to move thing set done

Interview Question – To reveal a lot of personal information   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Nit much negotiation

Technical Intern Interview

Technical Intern

Interviewed at City of New York

Interview Details – The department that contacted me was not the department that I applied for. But, little did I know, once you send in a resume, it is bounced around and sent to different departments. A few days before my interview, I had a last minute emergency and couldn't attend. I quickly emailed the interviewer and they were very understanding. We scheduled it quickly with no problem. When entering the office, you can tell immediately that everyone is very friendly and open to new employees. After the interview, I sent in a thank you letter and got a reply back on the same day confirming that I got the position.

Interview Question – He pulled out a summary of the energy projects that they have and asked me to explain what one of them is.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Director of Human Resources Interview

Director of Human Resources
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at City of New York in June 2010.

Interview Details – You get interviewed by Ellen along with another person.

Interview Question – Why do you want to be an intern here?   Answer Question

Police Officer -accident Investigation Specialist-high Value Interview

Police Officer -accident Investigation Specialist-high Value

Interviewed at City of New York

Interview Details – hiring is based upon a written exam and medical and a thorough background check

Negotiation Details – there was no negotiation. you either accepted or declined the position

Administrative Staff Analyst Interview

Administrative Staff Analyst
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at City of New York in August 2009.

Interview Details – Long and drawn out. The hiring process can take several months from initial application to starting work. Many entry level jobs require successful results on examinations (followed by the civil service lists, hiring pools, interviews, etc.) but the management positions like Admin Staff Analyst jobs are a bit more straight forward: 1. Submit resumes and cover letters, 2. Get called and interviewed, 3. Wait several weeks, 4. Potentially interview again & wait several weeks again, 5. Receive a provisional offer with a provisional salary, 6. State your interest at the level offered (or make a counter-offer which may doom your candidacy or lengthen the process considerably), 7. Receive a final offer, agree, complete paperwork and begin work.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected except for the newly enhanced EEO questions, which tend to create a surreal interview process with questions completely unrelated to the job or hiring process.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiating a salary with the City is possible but very unlikely to succeed in bringing in much additional salary as the City would rather have a job unfilled for months on end then give even $5K more above the amount budgeted for the role. Key advice: aim for unpopular (boring) jobs or roles that they are under pressure to fill fast. This will provide a bit of leverage in the salary "phase".

Playground Associate Interview

Playground Associate

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at City of New York.

Interview Details – Two interviews.
There were a lot of scenarios like, "what would you do if a child lost a finger in the playground?"

Or

Interview Question – "If you told a child that it was okay to go into the pool and they almost drowned, what would you do, or tell the irate parent?"   View Answer

Worked for City of New York? Contribute to the Community!