City of New York

2.4

8 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Technical Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at City of New York in March 2014.

My resume was sent to a lead person because of a personal contact on the inside. The process started in two days after that. The background check was about 2-3 weeks

Standout! This goes for anywhere. Show motivation, be smart, almost indispensable, very sociable, (no too talkative) but ask intelligent questions like you want to learn or you've done your research.
    Oh, the background check interview process was scary.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at City of New York in May 2012.

The application consists of a resume and cover letter. After a phone interview, I was brought in to speak to four members of the Office. We spoke about my background related to the field of international relations as well as city administration, my strengths and weaknesses, and why I'm studying what I'm studying. After this, they all left the room for a moment to discuss their thoughts, after which they returned to let me know I would be interviewing with the Deputy Commissioner of the Office. That interview was more about aspects of my professional work experience that he was most interested in, and I spoke about what I have found most enjoyable during my tenure at those organizations. A few weeks later the Office called to offer me the job, which was followed by a background investigation that took a little longer than a month and a half.

Interview Questions
    • How do you feel about the Mayor's position on stop and frisk?   Answer Question

Financial Technology Information Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at City of New York in April 2012.

3 people interviewed me, each asked 5-7questions. All of them are behavior questions. People are nice, Office is good. Not very competitive. There are 7 candidates and 3 was given the offer

Director of Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at City of New York in June 2010.

You get interviewed by Ellen along with another person.

Trial Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at City of New York in May 2010.

General questions.

Interview Questions
    • How are you quailified for this position?   View Answer

CityTime Trainer (Staff Analyst II) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at City of New York in April 2010.

The office was pretty small. I met with three people at once who asked me questions. The interview itself was not difficult. However, what I found odd was that even though there were three interviewers, I asked for a business card, one gave it to me and another claimed,"You will be dealing with Ms. XYZ from now on. We can't give you a business card. That's the protocol and we follow the office protocol". That was very off-putting, as all Id wanted to do was send a thank you card!

Interview Questions
    • I was asked if I have ever lead a training/workshop and about what size and what mediums I used.   Answer Question

Administrative Staff Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at City of New York in August 2009.

Long and drawn out. The hiring process can take several months from initial application to starting work. Many entry level jobs require successful results on examinations (followed by the civil service lists, hiring pools, interviews, etc.) but the management positions like Admin Staff Analyst jobs are a bit more straight forward: 1. Submit resumes and cover letters, 2. Get called and interviewed, 3. Wait several weeks, 4. Potentially interview again & wait several weeks again, 5. Receive a provisional offer with a provisional salary, 6. State your interest at the level offered (or make a counter-offer which may doom your candidacy or lengthen the process considerably), 7. Receive a final offer, agree, complete paperwork and begin work.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected except for the newly enhanced EEO questions, which tend to create a surreal interview process with questions completely unrelated to the job or hiring process.   Answer Question
    Negotiating a salary with the City is possible but very unlikely to succeed in bringing in much additional salary as the City would rather have a job unfilled for months on end then give even $5K more above the amount budgeted for the role. Key advice: aim for unpopular (boring) jobs or roles that they are under pressure to fill fast. This will provide a bit of leverage in the salary "phase".

Administrative Law Judge Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at City of New York in August 2008.

Met with HR/hiring manager and branch office manager.
    Then went to 3 branch offices (on different dates) and interviewed with their managers.
    Ranked my choice of where to work
    They ranked their choices
    Got tenative hire letter
    Filled out background check suitable for FBI work
    6 months later had 1 week training
    completed 10 days of training over the next 4 months
    started working in branch
    never heard back about background check - told no news good news
    never got any type of officail offer letter

Interview Questions
    • why do you want this job - what are your plans?   Answer Question
    • Not a question, but at interview in 1 branch, was told they may not have room for me. Not too welcoming.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Salary is hourly and flat rate.