Getting an Interview
Getting an Interview
Interviews for Top Jobs at City of Newport News VirginiaMore
- Accepted OfferPositive ExperienceEasy Interview
I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at City of Newport News Virginia (Newport News, VA) in May 2015.
I was contacted by phone a month after applying to come in for in-person interview. They asked fairly standard questions about work-ethic and past internships. I was then called with an offer the following week, which allowed for some negotiations about pay.
- What interests you most about working in the public sector? Answer Question
- Accepted OfferPositive ExperienceAverage Interview
I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at City of Newport News Virginia.
Panel interview consisted of 5 employees. Approximately 15-20 questions relating to what-if scenarios and chain of command procedures. Very positive experience during the interview. The administrator was prior military and his way of operating the division was very similar.
- None that I can think of. When I was interviewed I had recently got out of the military which eased a lot of their security questions. Answer Question
- Declined OfferPositive ExperienceAverage Interview
I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at City of Newport News Virginia in February 2013.
It took about 3 weeks after I applied to get an interview scheduled. It was a panel interview with 3 senior members from the office. The questions were all situational. You really have to know the benefit eligibility process for SNAP, Medicaid, and TANF benefits in order to excel in the interview.
- The most difficult question was a mathematical equation to determine if a client would be eligible for expedited SNAP benefits using the standard utility deduction. Answer Question
Reasons for Declining
about 3 weeks after the interview I did get a job offer however, I declined b/c the salary offered was $10K less than what I currently earn. They did try to negotiate but were only able to offer me $3K more.