City of Ottawa

Relevance Date Difficulty

Student Engineer II Interview

Student Engineer II
Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at City of Ottawa in April 2012.

Interview Details – Got my resume in through a family friend and also applied online. Received a call for an interview shortly after applying. Interview was at HQ on Constellation Dr. 3 interviewers took turns asking basic interview questions (Describe yourself, leadership experience, etc.). We got along well, they rather humourous and easy to talk to.

Interview Question – Whose responsibility is it to ensure things are done safely?   View Answer

Engineering Assistant Interview

Engineering Assistant
Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at City of Ottawa in May 2010.

Interview Details – One face to face interview with written questions

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 5 years   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The salary is non negotiable

SAP Programming Analyst, Co-op Interview

Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at City of Ottawa in May 2011.

Interview Details – This was a co-op position, so they only did in person interview with all candidates. It was a one hour interview with one manager and one team leader. The questions covers from general to professional Supply Chain, SAP. The whole process time was quick and completed in one week. All interviews were set up in the same day, the offer was sent out the next day by the department office administrator. Once I contact the admin. she explained the contract and they will do criminal check after I signed the agreement to do so.

Interview Question – Why should City of Ottawa focuses on SAP and Supply Chain as a public service organization?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – As I said it was a co-op term, so there was no negotiation

Senior Developer/Integrator Interview

Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at City of Ottawa.

Interview Details – Very nice people but deep split between manager and "worker" positions. Very political environment, at least on the IT side.

Interview Question – Mix of situational and technical questions   Answer Question

Outreach Coordinator Interview

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at City of Ottawa in January 2009.

Interview Details – I was fortunate the interview was short and straight to the point

Interview Question – Tell me a time when you had to deal with an irrate person   Answer Question

Planning Assistant/Researcher Interview

Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at City of Ottawa in May 2012.

Interview Details – I applied to this position as a summer student (you had to be enrolled to be considered). the City of Ottawa has you first create a huge online profile where you highlight in detail basically all of the content of your CV. Id would later learn that the process in lengthy and detailed on purpose so as to attract only serious candidates as well as to look for well rounded candidates with a variety of experience (work, volunteer, academic extra curricular, etc).
The position was basically for an employment survey call agent. I dealt over the phone with one individual, the program leader (planner), who set up the interview. He also felt me out over the phone to check my tone of voice, my general demeanor and friendliness, etc.
the interview took place with this one program manager and another planner that would be involved in the survey throughout the summer placement.
The interview started in chit-chat mode. they wanted to see how I could carry on a conversation, if I was personable, and what my interpersonal skills were.
the interview started off with them asking me why I felt qualified. I would later receive feedback that what they look for is how I could contribute to a team environment. Specifically, what leadership or unique skill sets could I bring to the table that would contribute positively to the team.
I received an email a few days later telling me they couldn't offer me the position. I know that it made sense. I had a feeling that after they kept pressing on me during the interview to highlight specific leadership aspects and unique duties each of my past jobs and volunteer experiences that I hadnt painted a good enough picture as to how I contribute to a team environment. I focused too much on the specific responsibilities and less on my "brand" or what I was known for in each position.
I asked for honest feedback and so they gave it to me. They said that maybe I was on edge or too nervous to provide the answers they were looking for.
Overall, they were very thorough, asking me in detail about every thing on my resume, so make sure when you apply to a government organization that you know you are accountable for everything you put on there. Also, they are very concerned, rightly so, with what kind of person you are and if you mesh well with others and are outgoing. You have to demonstrate that you have groupwork/teamwork experience and give specific examples.

Interview Question – What specific leadership qualities and skills did you attain from your past work and volunteer experiences?
Why do you qualify for this position?
Describe how you would lead and/or contribute to a group environment!
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – there was no negotiation in salary. I was initially refused but called back because someone else backed out. A great learning experience!

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for City of Ottawa? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at City of Ottawa interview questions and advice. All 6 interview reviews posted anonymously by City of Ottawa employees and interview candidates.