City of Ottawa Interview Questions

Updated Jan 22, 2015

Lifeguard and Swim Instructor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at City of Ottawa.

Interview

I applied online and received a letter with instructions for where to go to attend a city wide skills screening (hundreds of people). The screening was for skills tested for in the NLS exam. After that, I received a phone call to attend a site specific skills screening (20 or so people) for the pool that where I would potentially work if I were to be hired. Within a week I received a phone call to set up an interview. The interview was with a panel of 3 people.

Interview Questions

• You are guarding the dive tank. There is a person climbing back down the 3m diving board. There is a toddler in a PFD alone, sitting at the edge of the dive tank. A swimmer has just approached you to ask about the pool hours. What do you do?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Interview

It's a on campus mock interview. And there are two interviewers. last around 30 minutes.
    They asked question one by one. Totally there are 7 behavior questions.
    After the interview, they give you a feedback about your performance.

Attention, this is just a mock interview. As I'm a student who is looking for co-op right now.

Interview Questions

• just simple behavior questions?
      What would you do if your boss give you too much work?

Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at City of Ottawa.

Interview

The process took about 2 months, I was contacted at the end of April. The position was in the Bridge and structures Branch. The interview questions were behavioral based and nothing technical. It was a friendly environment.

The questions I was asked:
    1. Management and deadline
    2. Interpersonal conflict and solution
    3. Problem solving made something more efficient
    4. What do you want from this experience

Senior Developer/Integrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at City of Ottawa (Ottawa, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Very nice people but deep split between manager and "worker" positions. Very political environment, at least on the IT side.

Engineering Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at City of Ottawa (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in March 2013.

Interview

Applied online, was asked for an interview by March for the summer position. I heard back within a month and was given a week to decide. The interview was about 20 minutes long by my current supervisors, 3 engineering technologists. Very friendly and cracked a couple jokes during the interview. Overall very smooth and non stressful interview.

Interview Questions

• If there was a change in project scope or deadline, how would you accommodate this change?   Answer Question

Engineer In Training Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at City of Ottawa (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in May 2012.

Interview

Hiring process was easy. Application was submitted on Ottawa.ca. Was called back 2-3 weeks later for an interview with the program manager and manager of the department. Interview lasted about 30-40 minutes, all generic interview questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you have failed in a previous position, and what you did to better yourself.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No Negotiation - Union based pay.

Planning Assistant/Researcher Interview

Application

Interview

I applied to this position as a summer student (you had to be enrolled to be considered). the City of Ottawa has you first create a huge online profile where you highlight in detail basically all of the content of your CV. Id would later learn that the process in lengthy and detailed on purpose so as to attract only serious candidates as well as to look for well rounded candidates with a variety of experience (work, volunteer, academic extra curricular, etc).
    The position was basically for an employment survey call agent. I dealt over the phone with one individual, the program leader (planner), who set up the interview. He also felt me out over the phone to check my tone of voice, my general demeanor and friendliness, etc.
    the interview took place with this one program manager and another planner that would be involved in the survey throughout the summer placement.
    The interview started in chit-chat mode. they wanted to see how I could carry on a conversation, if I was personable, and what my interpersonal skills were.
    the interview started off with them asking me why I felt qualified. I would later receive feedback that what they look for is how I could contribute to a team environment. Specifically, what leadership or unique skill sets could I bring to the table that would contribute positively to the team.
    I received an email a few days later telling me they couldn't offer me the position. I know that it made sense. I had a feeling that after they kept pressing on me during the interview to highlight specific leadership aspects and unique duties each of my past jobs and volunteer experiences that I hadnt painted a good enough picture as to how I contribute to a team environment. I focused too much on the specific responsibilities and less on my "brand" or what I was known for in each position.
    I asked for honest feedback and so they gave it to me. They said that maybe I was on edge or too nervous to provide the answers they were looking for.
    Overall, they were very thorough, asking me in detail about every thing on my resume, so make sure when you apply to a government organization that you know you are accountable for everything you put on there. Also, they are very concerned, rightly so, with what kind of person you are and if you mesh well with others and are outgoing. You have to demonstrate that you have groupwork/teamwork experience and give specific examples.

Interview Questions

• What specific leadership qualities and skills did you attain from your past work and volunteer experiences?
      Why do you qualify for this position?
      Describe how you would lead and/or contribute to a group environment!

Answer Question

Negotiation

there was no negotiation in salary. I was initially refused but called back because someone else backed out. A great learning experience!

Student Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at City of Ottawa (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in April 2012.

Interview

Got my resume in through a family friend and also applied online. Received a call for an interview shortly after applying. Interview was at HQ on Constellation Dr. 3 interviewers took turns asking basic interview questions (Describe yourself, leadership experience, etc.). We got along well, they rather humourous and easy to talk to.

Interview Questions

• Whose responsibility is it to ensure things are done safely?   1 Answer

SAP Programming Analyst, Co-op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at City of Ottawa (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in May 2011.

Interview

This was a co-op position, so they only did in person interview with all candidates. It was a one hour interview with one manager and one team leader. The questions covers from general to professional Supply Chain, SAP. The whole process time was quick and completed in one week. All interviews were set up in the same day, the offer was sent out the next day by the department office administrator. Once I contact the admin. she explained the contract and they will do criminal check after I signed the agreement to do so.

Interview Questions

• Why should City of Ottawa focuses on SAP and Supply Chain as a public service organization?   1 Answer

Negotiation

As I said it was a co-op term, so there was no negotiation

Engineering Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at City of Ottawa (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in May 2010.

Interview

One face to face interview with written questions

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years   1 Answer

Negotiation

The salary is non negotiable