City of Phoenix Interview Questions

Updated Jul 14, 2014
Updated Jul 14, 2014

Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at City of Phoenix in February 2014.

Apply online
    Waited a long time to hear back
    I was called by a manager and he was very cordial.
    Panel Interview straight forward questions but not very in depth
    Asked for 2nd interview within a week or so
    For the 2nd interview, the questions were a bit more personality fit
    I was offered the position and the HR background check was about a week.

Interview Questions
    • None really - all the basic stuff
      Background, strengths and weaknesses, etc
        Answer Question
    There was much negotiation - the organization is rigid in what they offer. Salary is usually just above your current position based on your W-2s.

Business Analyst Intern Interview

Interviewed with two people in the audit department. Basic questions like what are your strengths and weaknesses. Additionally, asked questions regarding my resume. Also asked questions about what I thought of government and what I knew about the City. Lastly, asked me if I had any questions for them.

Police Officer Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 9 months - interviewed at City of Phoenix.

Very long and filters out the wrong applicants.

Economic Development Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at City of Phoenix in September 2013.

10 formatted questions within 45 minutes with 4 member panel of current employees and H.R. representative. No interaction dialogue or feedback to questions from panel. Stayed true to scripted questions.

Interview Questions
    • Although not a question, provide two most recent performance reviews from employer.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at City of Phoenix in March 2009.

Basic safety scenarios and policies. Then math questions based on money. The next part was basically to ask about our background to determine whether we were a good fit. Because it was a summer job you get your second interview right away. same basic format but more indepth.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you saw a man walk into the girls bathroom after some girls just went in?   View Answer
    Non existent i wanted the job and it was my first chance to make money

Project Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at City of Phoenix in January 2010.

The hiring process usually entails two panel interviews, and, depending on the position, a skills test. Interviews contains both relevant technical and behavioral questions. Most behavioral questions revolve around leadership, management, and conflict resolution.
    As with any interview, your image is very important -- wear a suit, be punctual, and relax.

I was able to negotiate on salary, but usually the offer process does not present that option. Candidates are hired at the low end of the position range. You must take the initiative and engage in negotiations prior to accepting the position. The worse that can happen is that they'll say no; at that point is up to you to accept or move on to the next opportunity.

Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at City of Phoenix in May 2008.

Two panel interviews over a three week process. Once position was accepted there was a background check and drug test.

Interview Questions
    • Describe your knowlege, skills, and abilities and rate them as they relate to this position.   View Answer
    No negotiation.

Worked for City of Phoenix? Contribute to the Community!