City of San Diego

Updated Sep 15, 2014
Updated Sep 15, 2014

2.7

Student Management Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at City of San Diego.

The interview consisted of a panel and were mostly behavioral questions. There were however some technical questions. I applied in march set and interview date for April and started working in June. It takes a while after your interview to get going. you have to go through a screening process.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked if i could read/interpret engineering drawings. Was also asked how confident i felt about hydraulics.   Answer Question

Deputy City Attorney I Interview

Background + Cover Letter + Resume. Informal interview with criminal division leader and a support attorney. Pretty standard qualifications interview with presentation of a simple rebuttal argument for closing arguments, time limit 3 mins.

Interview Questions
    • Was expecting to do an opening statement, and instead gave a closing rebuttal argument.   Answer Question

Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at City of San Diego.

The hiring and interview progress was standard City procedures.

Student Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at City of San Diego.

Applied through school's website, was offered an in-person interview. The interview was with a panel of 4 people from the city, and four questions were asked, all of which were given to me beforehand. The questions were straightforward, non-technical, and expected. Overall an easy interview.

No negotiation was involved.

Biologist Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at City of San Diego.

Apply for a position that could be with any Department within the City. Once approved by personnel as qualified for that position -- you get on a qualified candidate list that is usually active for a year. When Depts have vacancies, they select candidates for interview from the qualified candidate lists. You are invited to an interview with a minimum of 3 reviewers. Interview has preselected questions. All candidates get the same questions. Interviews only last 30 mins (occasionally up to 45 mins). Usually 5-6 questions -- often with a 'ringer' question towards the end. Little interaction and follow up discussion from the interview panel -- it is discouraged (they say in order to keep the interview unbiased).

Interview Questions
    • They usually include a technical question that only insiders usually know the answer to.   Answer Question
    Salaries are set within bands so there is little room for negotiation

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at City of San Diego in March 2012.

Very basic interview process. Every department handles their own interviews. I interviewed with two people. One gave me a list of questions to answer and then the other went completely off script.

Interview Questions
    The salary is a set rate, no benefits.

Student Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at City of San Diego in September 2011.

One interview downtown in their large complex office (they just moved it, so I don't know which it is now).
    About 5 questions (I believe). Most of which are very focused on school experience, school activities (orgs.), and conflict resolution type questions (how do you resolve ____ type of issue).

Interview Questions
    • "Give an example of when you needed to take a leadership position and succeeded."   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at City of San Diego in August 2011.

Two behavioral interviews - 2+ people each time

Benefits were very poor compared to other local governments - and not reflected by increased salaries

Recreation Leader I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at City of San Diego in August 2009.

There was one interview. The management liked the fact that I had volunteered for Special Olympics for handicapped youth, since they participated in Special Olympics for senior citizens.

Interview Questions
    • Can you run the Childrens' Ceramic class?   View Answer
    I made $5.61/hr.

SWPPP Inspector Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at City of San Diego in September 2010.

Well not entirely complete with the process. I passed the first test period and had a brief phone interview that resulted in a scheduled panel interview next week.