City of San Diego

Relevance Date Difficulty

Deputy City Attorney I Interview

Deputy City Attorney I

Interviewed at City of San Diego

Interview Details – Background + Cover Letter + Resume. Informal interview with criminal division leader and a support attorney. Pretty standard qualifications interview with presentation of a simple rebuttal argument for closing arguments, time limit 3 mins.

Interview Question – Was expecting to do an opening statement, and instead gave a closing rebuttal argument.   Answer Question

Student Engineer Interview

Student Engineer
San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at City of San Diego in September 2011.

Interview Details – One interview downtown in their large complex office (they just moved it, so I don't know which it is now).
About 5 questions (I believe). Most of which are very focused on school experience, school activities (orgs.), and conflict resolution type questions (how do you resolve ____ type of issue).

Interview Question – "Give an example of when you needed to take a leadership position and succeeded."   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
San Diego, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at City of San Diego in March 2012.

Interview Details – Very basic interview process. Every department handles their own interviews. I interviewed with two people. One gave me a list of questions to answer and then the other went completely off script.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The salary is a set rate, no benefits.

Recreation Leader I Interview

Recreation Leader I
San Diego, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at City of San Diego in August 2009.

Interview Details – There was one interview. The management liked the fact that I had volunteered for Special Olympics for handicapped youth, since they participated in Special Olympics for senior citizens.

Interview Question – Can you run the Childrens' Ceramic class?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I made $5.61/hr.

Management Interview

Management
San Diego, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at City of San Diego.

Interview Details – The hiring and interview progress was standard City procedures.

Interview Question – How did you overcome an uncomfortable situation?   Answer Question

Student Intern Interview

Student Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 months - interviewed at City of San Diego.

Interview Details – Applied through school's website, was offered an in-person interview. The interview was with a panel of 4 people from the city, and four questions were asked, all of which were given to me beforehand. The questions were straightforward, non-technical, and expected. Overall an easy interview.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation was involved.

Biologist Interview

Biologist

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at City of San Diego.

Interview Details – Apply for a position that could be with any Department within the City. Once approved by personnel as qualified for that position -- you get on a qualified candidate list that is usually active for a year. When Depts have vacancies, they select candidates for interview from the qualified candidate lists. You are invited to an interview with a minimum of 3 reviewers. Interview has preselected questions. All candidates get the same questions. Interviews only last 30 mins (occasionally up to 45 mins). Usually 5-6 questions -- often with a 'ringer' question towards the end. Little interaction and follow up discussion from the interview panel -- it is discouraged (they say in order to keep the interview unbiased).

Interview Question – They usually include a technical question that only insiders usually know the answer to.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Salaries are set within bands so there is little room for negotiation

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst
San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at City of San Diego in August 2011.

Interview Details – Two behavioral interviews - 2+ people each time

Reason for Declining – Benefits were very poor compared to other local governments - and not reflected by increased salaries

SWPPP Inspector Interview

SWPPP Inspector

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at City of San Diego in September 2010.

Interview Details – Well not entirely complete with the process. I passed the first test period and had a brief phone interview that resulted in a scheduled panel interview next week.

Interview Question – How does my experience relate to this job?   Answer Question

Worked for City of San Diego? Contribute to the Community!