City of Seattle Interview Questions

Updated Oct 20, 2014
Updated Oct 20, 2014

3.1

Video Specialist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at City of Seattle.

Application process and interview scheduling was all done via email. First time I actually spoke to someone was the in-person interview. I was advised to show up 15 minutes early to review the 10 questions which would be asked. Then I was asked those questions in front of the three people in charge of hiring.

At the beginning of the interview they gave a clear timeline of what they were planning for hiring. The post was open for maybe 2 weeks, interviews were scheduled and completed within another 2 weeks, and then final offer was planned for 2-3 weeks after that. Seemed like a reasonable pace and it was well communicated.

Interview Questions
    • I can't remember any of the actual questions, but I did feel some of them were very specific to the role, where I lacked the background to answer well. One of the questions was a protocol question (what would you do in this situation) where the answer should be dictated by whatever their existing guidelines are, I would assume. The format of getting the questions in advance was both a plus and a negative. Obviously, you knew what was coming, but it felt a little too restrictive and awkward to build on the discussion and cover a wider range of topics.   Answer Question

Principal Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at City of Seattle in September 2014.

A panel of 4 or 5 people give you a sheet of all the questions you need to answer in 45 min to one hour. After the oral interview, you have 75 minutes to answer 4 essay questions and two excel exercises. I haven't received word on next steps, so once I do I will update.

Interview Questions
    • They give you a sheet of all the questions you need to answer in 45 min to one hour for the oral part of the interview. Luckily, I have a photographic memory. Below are the questions they will ask.

1. Please describe your education and professional work experience as it relates to accounting. how do you feel your experience specifically relates to this position?

2. What is fund accounting? What is an encumbrance in governmental accounting? What is an escrow payment/deposit and how is it reflected on the balance sheet?

3. What is your experience working with accounting month-end and year end deadlines? Please describe the year end accrual process and your experience processing these types of transactions.

4. Please describe your experience overseeing and supervising/leading accounting staff in meeting deadlines for account reconciliations.

5. Please describe your experience working with Excel. At what level do you consider yourself (beginner, intermediate, advanced)? Do you have experience working with pivot tables?

6. Please describe your experience with financial management and accounting systems. What systems have you used? How frequently do you work within the system and what functionalities do you utilize?

7. Please describe your experience creating summary reports of complicated or detailed financial/accounting data for use by project managers and other non-accounting staff?

8. Please describe any experience you have managing changes to systems or business processes due to organizational restructuring or technology changes?

9. What is your approach to handling competing deadlines or multiple workload priorities?

10. In what situations, specifically, would you consult with your supervisor to resolve work-related issues? In what situations, specifically, would you feel comfortable making decisions independently, without consulting your supervisor?

11. Please describe your experience working effectively within a team in a diverse work environment.

12. Please describe your experience working with non-financial staff.
        Answer Question

Administrative Specialist II Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at City of Seattle.

Interview process takes a long time to process. Applications are submitted online, unlike other companies all applications are printed out and reviewed by hiring supervisor and Human Resource Coordinator. Having and internal contact will greatly increase chances of an interview. Next is the in person interview, which consists of at least three staff members including the supervisor. Applicants are instructed to show up 15 minutes early, as they are provided the questions prior to the interview. Some applicants require a second interview. After the interview, your references are called, this does not however mean you are guaranteed the position.

Interview Questions
    • Questions are provided prior to the interview, 15 minutes before you meet with them. Most of job specific, however not difficult.   Answer Question

Associate Engineer Interview

I applied online and after 45 days or so I received an email for an interview after two weeks. I also contacted through email for the second level interview. ie. I had two panel interviews and waiting for the third round. almost all are situational or hypothetical questions with multiple parts to it. not really clear. the process took too long.

Senior Management Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at City of Seattle.

2 in person interviews. First was a very formal, panel style interview. I sat down and they immediately gave me a piece of paper with all the questions they were going to ask. They told me I could answer as many as I wanted but that I was responsible for keeping track of time. All questions were long situational type questions. Panel said they couldn't provide any additional info or answer questions...A little odd. Second interview was more laid back and just 2 people. Only 4 questions in an hour long interview. Also got the list of all questions at the beginning of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • It was mostly unexpected that I didn't get any of the canned interview questions. Nothing like "what are your strengths/weaknesses?" or "tell me about a time you...?"   Answer Question
    Hiring manager called to make offer, not HR. Stated the pay rate and that it was city policy to start you out at that "step." I accepted.

Intern Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at City of Seattle.

Set up the phone interview in May, and had one in-person interview at the Seattle Municipal Tower. The interview was about 30-45 minutes. The interview panel consisted of 6 different supervisors from different departments that were looking for interns.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were about basic EE fundamentals such as KVL and KCL, power factor, and how to calculate 3-phase power.   Answer Question
    No negotiation since this was for an intern position.

Security Engineer Interview

The process was very standard and followed the following steps:

1. Online application 2. Phone screen 3. Group interview with IT managers/directors from various organizations. 4. Interview with hiring manager and their deputy.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were not difficult - but too vague and without context.
      I found the interviewers rude, in that they were checking their blackberries all the way through the meeting - even delaying the interview start so they could reply to emails.
        Answer Question

Communication Engineering Intern Interview

Applied online directly at the company website (Seattle City Light). Received an email to schedule for an interview. After responding to the email, received another email with a confirmation and some administrative forms to fill out and bring to the interview. Interview was done individually with two interviewers (both were engineers). All questions were behavioral

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at City of Seattle in September 2013.

Resume and cover letter was submitted. Interview was with a panel. There was a skills set before.

Interview Questions
    • There was a case study that pertained to how I would solve a problem.   Answer Question

GIS Undergraduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at City of Seattle in May 2013.

2 interviews
    1st interview with teammates (3 people): They ask you where you see yourself in 5 years, what you are interested in, coursework, work experience, make sure you have at least 2 questions to ask them.
    2nd interview with group managers (3 people): To further get to know you and see which group you will fit into. Be engaged, they are looking for someone that fits the collaborative company culture.