City of Seattle

Updated Nov 20, 2014
Updated Nov 20, 2014

3.1

Video Specialist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at City of Seattle.

Application process and interview scheduling was all done via email. First time I actually spoke to someone was the in-person interview. I was advised to show up 15 minutes early to review the 10 questions which would be asked. Then I was asked those questions in front of the three people in charge of hiring.

At the beginning of the interview they gave a clear timeline of what they were planning for hiring. The post was open for maybe 2 weeks, interviews were scheduled and completed within another 2 weeks, and then final offer was planned for 2-3 weeks after that. Seemed like a reasonable pace and it was well communicated.

Interview Questions
    • I can't remember any of the actual questions, but I did feel some of them were very specific to the role, where I lacked the background to answer well. One of the questions was a protocol question (what would you do in this situation) where the answer should be dictated by whatever their existing guidelines are, I would assume. The format of getting the questions in advance was both a plus and a negative. Obviously, you knew what was coming, but it felt a little too restrictive and awkward to build on the discussion and cover a wider range of topics.   Answer Question

Senior Community Development Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at City of Seattle in September 2014.

After applying online and emailing the Director, I was invited to have an in-person interview. The interview was for a panel of 5 people and lasted an hour. They were interviewing everyone that same day and I saw the person who went before me. The questions were given to me on a sheet of paper 10 minutes in advance so I could work on organizing my answers. After the interview I was given a written exercise that was timed. I emailed thank you letters to everyone on the panel, but didn't receive any responses. A month passed and still no word, so I emailed the HR coordinator who had set up the interview. No reply. I called and left her a message. No reply. exactly 6 weeks after the interview I received an automated system email saying that they has chosen another candidate. I was very disappointed with the lack of communication and human respect during the process.

Interview Questions
    • Discuss a project you managed that had multiple layers   Answer Question

Principal Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at City of Seattle in September 2014.

A panel of 4 or 5 people give you a sheet of all the questions you need to answer in 45 min to one hour. After the oral interview, you have 75 minutes to answer 4 essay questions and two excel exercises. I haven't received word on next steps, so once I do I will update.

Interview Questions
    • They give you a sheet of all the questions you need to answer in 45 min to one hour for the oral part of the interview. Luckily, I have a photographic memory. Below are the questions they will ask.

1. Please describe your education and professional work experience as it relates to accounting. how do you feel your experience specifically relates to this position?

2. What is fund accounting? What is an encumbrance in governmental accounting? What is an escrow payment/deposit and how is it reflected on the balance sheet?

3. What is your experience working with accounting month-end and year end deadlines? Please describe the year end accrual process and your experience processing these types of transactions.

4. Please describe your experience overseeing and supervising/leading accounting staff in meeting deadlines for account reconciliations.

5. Please describe your experience working with Excel. At what level do you consider yourself (beginner, intermediate, advanced)? Do you have experience working with pivot tables?

6. Please describe your experience with financial management and accounting systems. What systems have you used? How frequently do you work within the system and what functionalities do you utilize?

7. Please describe your experience creating summary reports of complicated or detailed financial/accounting data for use by project managers and other non-accounting staff?

8. Please describe any experience you have managing changes to systems or business processes due to organizational restructuring or technology changes?

9. What is your approach to handling competing deadlines or multiple workload priorities?

10. In what situations, specifically, would you consult with your supervisor to resolve work-related issues? In what situations, specifically, would you feel comfortable making decisions independently, without consulting your supervisor?

11. Please describe your experience working effectively within a team in a diverse work environment.

12. Please describe your experience working with non-financial staff.

Answer Question

Administrative Specialist II Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at City of Seattle.

Interview process takes a long time to process. Applications are submitted online, unlike other companies all applications are printed out and reviewed by hiring supervisor and Human Resource Coordinator. Having and internal contact will greatly increase chances of an interview. Next is the in person interview, which consists of at least three staff members including the supervisor. Applicants are instructed to show up 15 minutes early, as they are provided the questions prior to the interview. Some applicants require a second interview. After the interview, your references are called, this does not however mean you are guaranteed the position.

Interview Questions
    • Questions are provided prior to the interview, 15 minutes before you meet with them. Most of job specific, however not difficult.   Answer Question

Associate Engineer Interview

I applied online and after 45 days or so I received an email for an interview after two weeks. I also contacted through email for the second level interview. ie. I had two panel interviews and waiting for the third round. almost all are situational or hypothetical questions with multiple parts to it. not really clear. the process took too long.

Senior Management Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at City of Seattle.

2 in person interviews. First was a very formal, panel style interview. I sat down and they immediately gave me a piece of paper with all the questions they were going to ask. They told me I could answer as many as I wanted but that I was responsible for keeping track of time. All questions were long situational type questions. Panel said they couldn't provide any additional info or answer questions...A little odd. Second interview was more laid back and just 2 people. Only 4 questions in an hour long interview. Also got the list of all questions at the beginning of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • It was mostly unexpected that I didn't get any of the canned interview questions. Nothing like "what are your strengths/weaknesses?" or "tell me about a time you...?"   Answer Question
    Hiring manager called to make offer, not HR. Stated the pay rate and that it was city policy to start you out at that "step." I accepted.

Intern Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at City of Seattle.

Set up the phone interview in May, and had one in-person interview at the Seattle Municipal Tower. The interview was about 30-45 minutes. The interview panel consisted of 6 different supervisors from different departments that were looking for interns.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were about basic EE fundamentals such as KVL and KCL, power factor, and how to calculate 3-phase power.   Answer Question
    No negotiation since this was for an intern position.

Security Engineer Interview

The process was very standard and followed the following steps:

1. Online application 2. Phone screen 3. Group interview with IT managers/directors from various organizations. 4. Interview with hiring manager and their deputy.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were not difficult - but too vague and without context.
      I found the interviewers rude, in that they were checking their blackberries all the way through the meeting - even delaying the interview start so they could reply to emails.

Answer Question

Communication Engineering Intern Interview

Applied online directly at the company website (Seattle City Light). Received an email to schedule for an interview. After responding to the email, received another email with a confirmation and some administrative forms to fill out and bring to the interview. Interview was done individually with two interviewers (both were engineers). All questions were behavioral

Student Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at City of Seattle in March 2014.

Go to Seattle.gov and check the job postings. Keep in mind that there is a separate tab for student opportunities. Select the job posting you're interested in. Select "Apply". Create your profile. You have to essentially upload your entire resume, one section at a time. Similar to LinkedIn, and I believe there's an option to auto fill from LinkedIn. For my position as an Intern applicant, I needed to upload my Resume, Cover Letter, and a pdf of my Unofficial Transcript. Click submit and your good to go. Within a month, I was called or emailed about an interview. The interview was intimidating, but relatively easy. I was on one side of a conference table, with 5 engineers on the other side. I did ok, and was offered the position less than a week later.

Interview Questions
    • Please explain how you would calculate 3 phase power.   View Answer

I was offered a second interview immediately after the first. The other position was more interesting to me than what I was offered after the first interview.