City of Seattle

31 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Administrative Specialist II Interview

Administrative Specialist II

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at City of Seattle.

Interview Details – Interview process takes a long time to process. Applications are submitted online, unlike other companies all applications are printed out and reviewed by hiring supervisor and Human Resource Coordinator. Having and internal contact will greatly increase chances of an interview. Next is the in person interview, which consists of at least three staff members including the supervisor. Applicants are instructed to show up 15 minutes early, as they are provided the questions prior to the interview. Some applicants require a second interview. After the interview, your references are called, this does not however mean you are guaranteed the position.

Interview Question – Questions are provided prior to the interview, 15 minutes before you meet with them. Most of job specific, however not difficult.   Answer Question

Public Relations Specialist Interview

Public Relations Specialist
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at City of Seattle in January 2013.

Interview Details – Interviewed for position for Seattle City Light, the electric utility at Seattle. Everything was submitted online via neo.gov portal. Hiring manager contacted me and then interview was scheduled. 4 person interview team. Questions were set, very structured, no deviation from the script or follow-up questions by interview team. Limited interview time, about 40 mins.

Interview Question – What is a unique or innovative marketing tactic that you have used?   Answer Question

GIS Undergraduate Interview

GIS Undergraduate
Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at City of Seattle in May 2013.

Interview Details – 2 interviews
1st interview with teammates (3 people): They ask you where you see yourself in 5 years, what you are interested in, coursework, work experience, make sure you have at least 2 questions to ask them.
2nd interview with group managers (3 people): To further get to know you and see which group you will fit into. Be engaged, they are looking for someone that fits the collaborative company culture.

Interview Question – Tell me about a challenge and how you solved it.   Answer Question

Associate Engineer Interview

Associate Engineer

Interviewed at City of Seattle

Interview Details – I applied online and after 45 days or so I received an email for an interview after two weeks. I also contacted through email for the second level interview. ie. I had two panel interviews and waiting for the third round. almost all are situational or hypothetical questions with multiple parts to it. not really clear. the process took too long.

Interview Question – all are unexpected and kind of difficult one.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Anonymous Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at City of Seattle.

Interview Details – Applied online. I was contacted a week after applying for job. I was told I'd be emailed a test then there would be an interview. The test was emailed to me and the interview was a couple of days after that. The interview was with a panel of five (all women). I did terrible - worst interview of my life! I think I had food poisoning and was very nauseated, and had thrown up in my car just 30 minutes before the interview. Kind of funny when I think about it now, but it was a terrible experience.

Interview Question – How would you apply your knowledge of the Washington State Public Records Act to this job?   Answer Question

Finance Intern Interview

Finance Intern
Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at City of Seattle in December 2011.

Interview Details – Mostly face to face interviews. Very classic and standard. There weren't very many tricky questions. Looks like it was to just check competency. It is an intern position.

You just show up to the office, go into their conference room, and interview with a couple of people. I interviewed with 3 people at that time.

Interview Question – Just asked basic finance related questions to check competency. Also behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Senior Management Systems Analyst Interview

Senior Management Systems Analyst
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at City of Seattle.

Interview Details – 2 in person interviews. First was a very formal, panel style interview. I sat down and they immediately gave me a piece of paper with all the questions they were going to ask. They told me I could answer as many as I wanted but that I was responsible for keeping track of time. All questions were long situational type questions. Panel said they couldn't provide any additional info or answer questions...A little odd. Second interview was more laid back and just 2 people. Only 4 questions in an hour long interview. Also got the list of all questions at the beginning of the interview.

Interview Question – It was mostly unexpected that I didn't get any of the canned interview questions. Nothing like "what are your strengths/weaknesses?" or "tell me about a time you...?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Hiring manager called to make offer, not HR. Stated the pay rate and that it was city policy to start you out at that "step." I accepted.

Intern Electrical Engineer Interview

Intern Electrical Engineer
Seattle, WA

Interview Details – Set up the phone interview in May, and had one in-person interview at the Seattle Municipal Tower. The interview was about 30-45 minutes. The interview panel consisted of 6 different supervisors from different departments that were looking for interns.

Interview Question – Most questions were about basic EE fundamentals such as KVL and KCL, power factor, and how to calculate 3-phase power.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation since this was for an intern position.

Security Engineer Interview

Security Engineer

Interviewed at City of Seattle

Interview Details – The process was very standard and followed the following steps:

1. Online application 2. Phone screen 3. Group interview with IT managers/directors from various organizations. 4. Interview with hiring manager and their deputy.

Interview Question – Questions were not difficult - but too vague and without context.
I found the interviewers rude, in that they were checking their blackberries all the way through the meeting - even delaying the interview start so they could reply to emails.
  Answer Question

Energy Code and Conservation Advisor Interview

Energy Code and Conservation Advisor
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at City of Seattle in October 2011.

Interview Details – I entered application requirements online. I did not attach a resume or cover letter, as they were not required, and I only saw the posting last minute. I was notified by email for an interview in person just a few days out. I believe they interviewed 5 people. They gave you the 10 questions you were to be asked prior to going in, and you have about 10 minutes to review them. Typical process in terms of there not being any dialogue permitted during the interview, just 7 people dictating your answers, so it is difficult to gauge how you are doing.

Interview Questions

Worked for City of Seattle? Contribute to the Community!