City of Seattle

Relevance Date Difficulty

Public Relations Specialist Interview

Public Relations Specialist
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at City of Seattle in January 2013.

Interview Details – Interviewed for position for Seattle City Light, the electric utility at Seattle. Everything was submitted online via neo.gov portal. Hiring manager contacted me and then interview was scheduled. 4 person interview team. Questions were set, very structured, no deviation from the script or follow-up questions by interview team. Limited interview time, about 40 mins.

Interview Question – What is a unique or innovative marketing tactic that you have used?   Answer Question

GIS Undergraduate Interview

GIS Undergraduate
Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at City of Seattle in May 2013.

Interview Details – 2 interviews
1st interview with teammates (3 people): They ask you where you see yourself in 5 years, what you are interested in, coursework, work experience, make sure you have at least 2 questions to ask them.
2nd interview with group managers (3 people): To further get to know you and see which group you will fit into. Be engaged, they are looking for someone that fits the collaborative company culture.

Interview Question – Tell me about a challenge and how you solved it.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Anonymous Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at City of Seattle.

Interview Details – Applied online. I was contacted a week after applying for job. I was told I'd be emailed a test then there would be an interview. The test was emailed to me and the interview was a couple of days after that. The interview was with a panel of five (all women). I did terrible - worst interview of my life! I think I had food poisoning and was very nauseated, and had thrown up in my car just 30 minutes before the interview. Kind of funny when I think about it now, but it was a terrible experience.

Interview Question – How would you apply your knowledge of the Washington State Public Records Act to this job?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Finance Intern Interview

Finance Intern
Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at City of Seattle in December 2011.

Interview Details – Mostly face to face interviews. Very classic and standard. There weren't very many tricky questions. Looks like it was to just check competency. It is an intern position.

You just show up to the office, go into their conference room, and interview with a couple of people. I interviewed with 3 people at that time.

Interview Question – Just asked basic finance related questions to check competency. Also behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Senior Management Systems Analyst Interview

Senior Management Systems Analyst
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at City of Seattle.

Interview Details – 2 in person interviews. First was a very formal, panel style interview. I sat down and they immediately gave me a piece of paper with all the questions they were going to ask. They told me I could answer as many as I wanted but that I was responsible for keeping track of time. All questions were long situational type questions. Panel said they couldn't provide any additional info or answer questions...A little odd. Second interview was more laid back and just 2 people. Only 4 questions in an hour long interview. Also got the list of all questions at the beginning of the interview.

Interview Question – It was mostly unexpected that I didn't get any of the canned interview questions. Nothing like "what are your strengths/weaknesses?" or "tell me about a time you...?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Hiring manager called to make offer, not HR. Stated the pay rate and that it was city policy to start you out at that "step." I accepted.

Intern Electrical Engineer Interview

Intern Electrical Engineer
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at City of Seattle.

Interview Details – Set up the phone interview in May, and had one in-person interview at the Seattle Municipal Tower. The interview was about 30-45 minutes. The interview panel consisted of 6 different supervisors from different departments that were looking for interns.

Interview Question – Most questions were about basic EE fundamentals such as KVL and KCL, power factor, and how to calculate 3-phase power.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation since this was for an intern position.

Energy Code and Conservation Advisor Interview

Energy Code and Conservation Advisor
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at City of Seattle in October 2011.

Interview Details – I entered application requirements online. I did not attach a resume or cover letter, as they were not required, and I only saw the posting last minute. I was notified by email for an interview in person just a few days out. I believe they interviewed 5 people. They gave you the 10 questions you were to be asked prior to going in, and you have about 10 minutes to review them. Typical process in terms of there not being any dialogue permitted during the interview, just 7 people dictating your answers, so it is difficult to gauge how you are doing.

Interview Questions

Administrative Specialist II Interview

Administrative Specialist II
Seattle, WA

I applied online - interviewed at City of Seattle in March 2010.

Interview Details – Applied online and had two in-person interviews with panel on two separate occasions. I think it took almost a month altogether before I got a call with the job offer. No job related tests, just interview questions.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation phase. The City job postings lists the pay range.

Intern Interview

Intern
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at City of Seattle in September 2013.

Interview Details – Resume and cover letter was submitted. Interview was with a panel. There was a skills set before.

Interview Question – There was a case study that pertained to how I would solve a problem.   Answer Question

Senior Civil Engineer Interview

Senior Civil Engineer
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at City of Seattle in February 2009.

Interview Details – One way interview. Bait and switch is typical. Job posted seldom matches job expected.

Interview Question – Give an example of how you have been patient in slow moving bureaucracies?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Negotiations are with local supervisor and is not binding for regular reorg ionizations every twelve to eighteen months. It's a free for all.

Worked for City of Seattle? Contribute to the Community!