City of Tacoma

Relevance Date Difficulty

Financial Assistant Interview

Financial Assistant
Tacoma, WA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at City of Tacoma in April 2010.

Interview Details – It was a 3 panel interview with basic interview questions

Interview Question – What are 3 weaknesses you have?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No, Union position with set rate of pay.

Senior Technical Manager Interview

Senior Technical Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at City of Tacoma in April 2010.

Interview Details – Very detailed. A management colleague from a prior work engagement clued me in to this position. The company is very progressive. They have a Microsoft'ish look and feel but they are a power retailer not a software house. The staff was very personable, low key in personal character, but uniformly passionate about their company and their mission. These folks were beyond tech savvy, they were floating on the bleeding edge of several technologies where most shops will not venture until at least RC5 or 18 months, which ever comes last.

The interview was very conversational. They would initiate a topic area and I had to weigh in with my perception of the maturity, sustainability and durability of the technology. No right or wrong, just what do you know about this. As my strengths are primarily deep back-end infrastructure I nailed most of the network, storage and high-performance configuration strategies. I did not fare so well with newer front end application strategies (connection pooling, stateless consistency ...) ... but I did impress them with security concepts and describing the nuances of ipv6 versus ipv4.

I had a one-on-one, tech team panel, 5 staff members, then 20 minutes with a Director. The Director interview occurred about a week and a half after the tech team panel interview.

Interview Question – Describe the investment criteria to ensure a profitable cloud service while ensuring a no-fault business continuity commitment to premier clients ...   View Answer

Reason for Declining – The interviews went very well. However, the timing and commute just did not work out.
There were also considerations because of a family health 'pre-existing' condition that could not be covered until a stated period of time had elapsed.

Worked for City of Tacoma? Contribute to the Community!