City of Toronto

Librarian

Interview Details – 2 interviewers, friendly

Support Assistant Interview

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online - interviewed at City of Toronto in June 2010.

Interview Details – Panel interview with managers. HR personnel no longer attend interviews, which they did in the past. They usually ask 6 questions which are situational/behavioural based. Not a lot of eye contact as they are usually busy writing your answers down which will be graded later. Pretty hard to get a read if you are doing well or not.

Interview Question – I really don't remember the most difficult question.   Answer Question

Summer Student Interview

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at City of Toronto in April 2011.

Interview Details – on site interview was scheduled by email. my session was in the morning, seems a whole day interview event with selection process in the following week.
4 interviewer gave the interview to me at the same time, seems 3 hiring managers, and one HR specialist.
interview procudure are very formal, but before the processing with listed question, they gave me 1 - 2 minutes to relax, such as asking me what transit did I take? and how easy or hard to find the interview location? which really made me feel comfortable to talk and anwser the questions. questions are designed to measure the competency which a better fit candidate should has. interviewers were listening very careful with some interacts and eye contact with me. interview finished with greetings.

Interview Question – for a student position, there is no very difficult or unexpected question, but in terms of the volumn, questions are more than other interviews I have had before. One expected question is, if there is a work you really can not completed or finish on time, how will you do?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – just some emails regarding start day and end day, they really can compensate your need, I think that is why public sector is always the good place people want to work with.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Senior Financial Planning Analyst Interview

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at City of Toronto in November 2011.

Interview Details – Takes a long process. Expect to be hired between 4 to 6 months. 1st interview with a panel and second with the director. 6 questions very broad so need to elaborate to score points. The lower your points score chances of you getting the job very slim. Mention everything in your resume

Interview Question – Sometimes the behaviourial questions are two questions in one so elaboration is key   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Pleasant

Supervisor Interview

Supervisor
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online - interviewed at City of Toronto in December 2013.

Interview Details – Applied for position over 6weeks ago, received very detailed email from HR recruiter inviting me to interview.
Interview consisted of:

1. Pre assignment assignment
2. Panel interview

Per assignment question was based of a real life scenario on what would you type of scenario.

Panel interview
- typical behavioural question (9 questions in total)

The interviewees were typical government; no small talk, right down to business.

At the beginning of the interview instructions were given that you can take notes, however all notes were handed back at the end.

Interview Question – Performance is import...describe a situation where you had someone who was under performing what was the situation and outcome   Answer Question

Lifeguard Interview

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at City of Toronto in May 2009.

Interview Details – Hand in your application and will be reviewed by a manager. The interview will then consist of knowledge and situational questions. Knowledge questions will test your knowledge on the field including on and off pool deck. Situational questions test you on how you think and react requiring you to speak out your mind and process to what actions you will do.

Interview Question – Why do you feel you are best fit for this position?   Answer Question

Special Needs Program Staff Interview

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at City of Toronto.

Interview Details – Received a phone call after two weeks of applying for an interview. Interview was standard, with a written component at the end. Interviewers were kind, and friendly, and took place in an office.

Interview Question – If a child went missing, how would you react in the situation   Answer Question

Skating Instructor Interview

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at City of Toronto in September 2010.

Interview Details – Submit resume online, must have skating experience, background check, one interview with coordinator.

Interview Question – All as expected   Answer Question

APTS Interview

Interviewed at City of Toronto

Interview Details – Internal process, eligible for promotion after completing a parole period. Consisted of a written test based on the policies and procedures of the aquatics division and a graded interview with three supervisors.

Interview Question – How would you handle a conflict between staff members?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Location

Works Plan Examiner/Inspector Interview

Interviewed at City of Toronto

Interview Details – I applied online to a job application. Afterwards I was contacted and asked to come in for an interview at Metro Hall. I arrived and was quickly seen, and interviewed by two gentlemen. I was asked various situational questions with regards to what I would do/recommend when faced with instances in the workplace that I was applying for. All of which were very straightforward and were able to be answered with mainly common sense.

Interview Question – What would you do if a member of the public confronted you in anger about the activities on one of your job sites?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for City of Toronto? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at City of Toronto interview questions and advice. All 19 interview reviews posted anonymously by City of Toronto employees and interview candidates.