Civil Service United Kingdom

Updated Oct 21, 2014

3.2

Assistant Government Communicator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at Civil Service United Kingdom in October 2014.

The whole process was very well organised, recruiters were friendly and approachable. Make sure you do your research (all the information can be located on the relevant department's website). Focus on the competencies. Ensure you know your story, have examples ready to show the recruiters that you have the skills for the position. Remember that you're not being ranked against the other participants but in relation to the competency framework. Take time to talk to other participants and find out their reasons for applying and their backgrounds.

At the end of the interview you will have the opportunity to ask questions. Take this opportunity to see why the person sat in front of you joined the Civil Service - what was their career path? What do they enjoy about their job? These answers could well help you in the panel or 1:1 interview. It also allows you an opportunity to see if you are a good fit for the organisation. Do the employees that you meet share your values? Did they join for similar reasons to you? These are all things that can help you in choosing the best position for you.

Interview Questions
    • Why should the government have campaigns to help people get their tax affairs in order?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Civil Service United Kingdom.

1. Online Application
    2. Online tests - Practice practice practice! Don't close the window more than twice otherwise they will block you from taking it again. However, I emailed them as my laptop was playing up and they allowed me to retake the test one more time - but no more.
    3. Invited to EAC (Economist Assessment Centre)
    Had to prepare 2 30mins report - in economics language and basic English. Question was given roughly two months in advance.
    4. Attended EAC Open day - where they explain the day and go through some sample questions (Bring pen and paper.. something that completely slipped my mind)

During the assessment centre - write the 2 reports - then another 30mins answering 10 short answer questions - break - interview with a 2 economists - had to present my report in plain English for 20mins; answer questions on the SAQ that you did not answer correctly/did wrong; last 20mins talk about your strongest topic in Economics.
    (They will tell you that the 2 interviews do not know who you are or have read your application form. This is not true.)
    Last task of the day - 1h30mins writing a report - this is extremely difficult. My only advice is do not spend too much time trying to read all the material given. Focus on the question and skim read.

Administrative Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Civil Service United Kingdom.

Having filled in an application form I was asked to attend for an interview in London, expenses paid. I was extremely nervous but I attended in good time. I was made very welcome by the secretary detailed to look after candidates, though the timing was so particular that I did not meet any other candidates. The interview itself was very different to anything I had encountered before as the several people on the panel looked very severe. I came out convinced that I had not been successful. A few days later I received a letter offering me the post. I accepted and was employed for a number of years in this capacity.

None.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Swansea, Wales (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Swansea, Wales (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Civil Service United Kingdom in February 2014.

Online test followed by competency based interview

Interview Questions
    • Competency based are fine as long as you understand what a competency is.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, basic salary offered to new starters

Summer Diversity Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at Civil Service United Kingdom.

Interview - 2 people. I usually don't like interviews as you have to memorise a lot of stuff and if you're good at bullshitting you can talk your way into anything! But this interview wasn't too much about that - it gave me scenarios of what I would do if this happened, and what my response would be if that happened; I could use my brain and show them how I can problem solve with ease and because it was intellectually challenging I really liked it. They were testing my skills, not my memorising skills.

Interview Questions
    • I could answer all the situational questions but the one that really threw me was how would I describe myself!   View Answer
    No negotiation! From the start it was stated you get paid £300 a week.

Executive Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Civil Service United Kingdom.

- initial application form, competency based - use examples specifying how you contributed/solved/demonstrated competency rather than generic statements like 'i work in a large retail store and use strong customer service skills every day'
    - panel interview in London where competencies from application form are expanded on
    - second interview with the senior person whose office you will working in

Interview Questions
    • Due to nature of organisation (civil service) all questions were largely based around the competencies in the job description/application form   Answer Question
    Negotiation is limited as civil service operates strict entry routes (although these may now have been relaxed for senior managers) - everyone is expected to begin on starting salary for that pay scale unless you can demonstrate exceptional experience or industry/technical qualifications

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Civil Service United Kingdom in June 2013.

I applied for the Government Economic Service. There are four stages to the application - initial registration and online tests, full online application, Economist Assessment Centre (EAC) and Fast Stream Assessment Centre (FSAC.) You have one week to complete the preliminary application after you sign up and do the practice tests, one week to take the tests, and one week to complete your full application.

The questions in the application are fairly straightforward and you have plenty of time to think of an answer.

My scheme required two tests, one verbal and one numerical. They advise you practice in advance, which you should do. You don't have to complete the entire test, you can pass it even if you don't reach the last question. So practice, practice, practice and you'll be fine.

Once you pass the tests you are required to complete the last part of the application and then you should be invited to the Economist Assessment Centre. There is an Open Day event which I highly suggest you attend, as they will explain what the EAC will be like, what to expect etc. I found it extremely useful.

The EAC consists of two written exercises which you have to prepare in advance. You will be given a question in your EAC invitation email and material to read in order to answer it (don't be discouraged by the number of documents given to you -- you don't have to read it all to do well.) On the EAC day you will have 30 minutes to answer that question in a technical report (a lot of jargon) and another 30 minutes for a 'plain English' report (you will be marked down if you use jargon.) Take the time and practise writing the two reports. You have to be a writing machine on the day, there is not much time for thinking, to be honest.

You will then take a test where you have to answer 10 questions in 30 minutes on 'first principles' topics. Fairly straightforward and easy to pass (need to get right 4 out of 10 questions), 1st year level. You will then have the chance to explain more or answer questions you didn't have time for, in the interview. This will be an opportunity to gain extra points. You will not be marked down in the interview!

There is also a technical interview, with 2 economists. You will present the 'plain English' report, they will ask you some questions about it (aspects you haven't thought of or haven't properly explained.) Then you will be tested on your economics, 1st year undergrad level. And then you will choose your strongest area of economics and be asked questions on it for about 10 minutes. the interview went quite fast, the interviewers were very friendly and helpful, I didn't feel intimidated at all.

The last task on the day was an exercise counting for the FSAC grade, where you are given 30 or so pages to read and come up with solutions to two problems. There isn't any way you can prepare for this in advance.

If you are successful at the EAC, you will be invited at the FSAC, which is another long and stressful day (around 6 hours or so, but also lots of breaks.)

You will have an interview with one person only, and you will strictly discuss your experience and how that relates to the competences required to succeed. The only thing you can do to prepare is to think about the 6 competences and what experience from your past (personal, school, extracurricular etc.) demonstrates you have that competence.

There is a group exercise where each person represents a different department and they all have to decide on a project to be implemented by the government. Naturally, each department has "most wanted" and "absolutely-cannot-let-this-happen" projects and the group has to agree. Don't be the obnoxious person who interrupts everyone, talks the most, and disregards others. Try to include those shy members, try to acknowledge the other person's view, be flexible and cooperative.

You will have some writing exercises to do. One to brainstorm for 5 minutes and come up with as many solutions for a project. The second, to brainstorm for 30 minutes and prepare a presentation to one assessor about possible solutions to a different problem. Here it is very important to make sure there are ways to implement your solution -- you will be asked about that repeatedly in the Q&A after your presentation if your ideas lack that dimension. The third exercise is similar to the last one of the EAC, in that you have to read a very long document and try to summarise it and take a position about the problem presented. I don't think there are ways to prepare for these exercises.

All throughout the day you have to complete self-assessment forms and rate your performance. Try to be honest -- not too modest, not too boastful -- and take this task seriously as it counts towards your score.

You won’t be tested on your economics at theFSAC.

You’ll receive quite a lengthy feedback on your performance at the FSAC, which is incredibly useful.

Interview Questions
    • "Are there any ideas you've come up with so crazy you've decided not to present them?"
      This was asked right at the beginning of my presentation for the brainstorming session at the FSAC. It was unexpected to see that they are looking for such wild creativity.

View Answer

I did not like the department I was assigned to.

Student Placement Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newport, Newport, Wales (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newport, Newport, Wales (UK)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Civil Service United Kingdom.

Single interview opposite two interviewers who were friendly enough. Have to answer questions following competency framework and using STAR technique is most useful as they only need to tick boxes, civil service not allowed to show prejudice on whether your nice/funny/pretty etc.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

interviewed at Civil Service United Kingdom in January 2013.

Online tests, online application form, e-tray, assessment centre.

Assistant Economist (Faststream) Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Civil Service United Kingdom in December 2012.

online application, then technical assessment (Economics Assessment Centre), and finally the faststream assessment centre.

Interview Questions
    • For the EAC be prepared to know your chosen subject inside out! this is where I failed. I would that particular topic in as much detail as possible. Also, try not picking a subject that is too hard because then it can get confusing. As for the presentation, always keep eye contact, and speak slowly. I would say its better to practice this beforehand.   Answer Question