Clark Construction Group

Updated Oct 14, 2014
Updated Oct 14, 2014

2.6

Entry Level Interview

I met Clark's representatives at an engineering career fair at my university and I was offered an on campus interview. The interviewer was very nice and easy going. We chatted for 30 mins about my experiences and graduate studies. I was then called for an on-site interview at Bethesda. I'm having this interview soon.

Office Engineer Interview

I had a pre-interview meeting with Clark. Was an informal conversation. Felt very comfortable but my lack of experience was clearly issue. The meeting was held at my university and I received a response two weeks later about the outcome of my interview.

Office Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Clark Construction Group in September 2014.

Clark came to my campus to hold an information session as well as attend our career fair. Upon giving them my resume at the career fair, I was contacted later that day for an interview the next day. They called back a lot of people to interview. The interview itself was not very challenging. It was mostly a conversation of my experience with construction and my activities on campus inside and outside of class. At the end of the interview, my interviewer said "I'm showing you my cards here, but I'm going to push you through to come down to our office in Bethesda (their HQ)." I just received a confirmation this week that I will be going down to Bethesda for a second round!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Clark Construction Group.

The college recruiting process was very engaging. If the position was for a job site, the engineering background if very important. If it was for an office position in finance, the development group, or legal, recruiters wanted very intelligent college candidate with some background to real estate, construction, finance, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Explaining why Clark will add to my career, and I can add to the organization, when my educational background did not fit the typical mold. I was not an engineer and had to sell myself from several different perspectives   Answer Question
    Clark refused to negotiate the campus hire offer.

However, 3 years later when i was offered what was a phenomenal position for the business and industry, which required me to me half way across the country for 5 years, the negotiation process was not an open and communicative process. It was very stressful. I was not provided basic terms about the position or even if it was a promotion or lateral move. When I forced the questions after several months of talks, I was told to look for a new job if I believe I am worth more. I left the first 3 weeks later after receiving offers from all their top competitors.

I believe that was a unique situation and a result of one individual who has been with the firm for years, did not get the C-Level position he deserved, he did not grow as the firm grew and thus the firm out-grew him. When I announced why I was leaving the CFO, CAO, and Deputy General Counsel (all of whom I worked for) personally apologized for the gentlemen's behavior. I would go back to Clark if the opportunity was right. Loved it there.

Office Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Clark Construction Group.

The interview lasted 4 hours. I got to meet many professionals each in a one-on-one format. There was no meal offered during the interview, which made things a little less nerve-wracking. There were mostly behavioral type questions, and we talked about my previous experience. They called the next week to offer employment. They are a great group of professionals working for an amazing company.

Interview Questions
    • They asked if I had taken any LEED certification exams.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Clark Construction Group.

Be enthusiastic, ask tons of questions when on-site

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Clark Construction Group in March 2014.

First I had a phone interview with the director of risk management. It was very straight forward, basic questions about yourself and experience and then he gave a run down of the position. A week later I went in for an in-person interview with the risk management team which consisted of 4 individuals. The building itself is very nice but felt like a maze. Seems like its easy to get lost in there. I should also mention it was very quiet. Everyone was very nice and professional.
    The interview process started with the VP of risk management and another manager. First I was given a chance to introduce myself and moved on some q&a. I thought the 2 individuals were very professional and attentive when I was talking. The questions asked were straightforward and nothing complicated. Next I met with another director who was extremely nice. Talking to all these people felt like I was talking to friends. I then met with who would be my boss (another director). This gentleman came across as very smart and definitely knew his stuff. He explained the job and I gave my input on what I thought about it. He didn't ask many questions. He did alot of talking which was fine with me as it gave me a chance to really understand the position and his expectation. Lastly I met with one of the top executives at Clark. I wasn't expecting to meet with anyone in the higher up. But I thought if she's as nice as the rest of the people I've met so far, I should ok. My interview with her started off well. It was a basic run down of my resume. She pretty much asked me questions about my previous positions, what I did, what I accomplished, how I accomplished and how I think all that experience would translate at Clark. That part went well as expected.
    Overall my interview experience at Clark was extremely nice. Everyone I met and spoke with was very professional and nice. I was positive I'd get the job according to my recruiter but unfortunately they went with an internal candidate.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions. Every question was pretty standard   Answer Question

Entry Level Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Clark Construction Group in January 2014.

I had a connection through a friend with a VP in the company. I had an initial meet and greet with the VP and after getting the ok he set up a day for me to go to the main office in Bethesda and interview. Initially the interview was supposed to be with 1 Engineer and the HR guy, but after arriving 2 more Engineers were added. I interviewed with a total of 4 people, all separately and each lasted around 30 minutes. All the interviews seemed to go smoothly, they gave a lot of time for me to ask questions and they only inquired about my previous Engineering work. Everyone was great to talk with, only the HR guy seemed a little disinterested and not totally involved in the interview. He took a couple phone calls during the interview. After the interviews, I went out to lunch with 3 pretty new Engineers on the companies dime. We all just chatted for about an hour before going back to the office. At that time they said they would be in touch. I followed up a few days later with my connection by email and he called me and gave me feedback directly. A great smooth process, 4 interviews all in a row was a bit much but besides that, all was good and professional.

Project Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Clark Construction Group in January 2014.

The process started off with myself and 9 other candidates gathering in a conference room where we were given 5 minutes to interview the individual across from you. After the time was up you were asked to give the hr represents an oral rundown of the information you received. Afterwards the group was separated into separate offices and conference rooms throughout the building where you sat through 2 one on one 45 minute interviews with individuals who have been employed with the company for more than a year. The next step was visiting an active job site where you were given a tour of the site and then asked to interview with someone on the site management team which again lasted about 45 minutes. After the site we were brought back to the office and the original conference room and asked to fill out paper work. Once you completed the paper work you were brought into the companies open house, this is apparently not typical, where you met and spoke with someone from a different division of the company. There was a brake in the middle of this period and we were asked to go into a lecture hall where we heard from a number of Clark employees about their time and experiences at the company. Once this discussion panel was concluded we were asked to go back to the open house and continue talking to the divisions and employees who were there until the event ended at 5pm.

I would say their hiring process is unprofessional. I received and offer below the industry average and asked if the starting salary could be increased. I was told they would discuss and get back to me in a few days. Instead they cut off all further communication by not returning my follow up phone calls and emails. I was also never reimbursed for my out of state travel expense for the interview.

Interview Questions
    • I did not find any question to be difficult nor were there any unexpected questions.   Answer Question

The starting salary offered was below the industry average.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Long Beach, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Long Beach, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Clark Construction Group in December 2013.

company and job site visit on Thursday afternoon, talked to 5 directors in a row on Friday morning

Interview Questions
    • What value can you bring? (asked to a student)
      How do we solve the BIM execution problem in our company? (provided background)
        Answer Question