Clark Construction Group

Average Difficulty
26 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Bethesda, MD

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Clark Construction Group.

Interview Details – The college recruiting process was very engaging. If the position was for a job site, the engineering background if very important. If it was for an office position in finance, the development group, or legal, recruiters wanted very intelligent college candidate with some background to real estate, construction, finance, etc.

Interview Question – Explaining why Clark will add to my career, and I can add to the organization, when my educational background did not fit the typical mold. I was not an engineer and had to sell myself from several different perspectives   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Clark refused to negotiate the campus hire offer.

However, 3 years later when i was offered what was a phenomenal position for the business and industry, which required me to me half way across the country for 5 years, the negotiation process was not an open and communicative process. It was very stressful. I was not provided basic terms about the position or even if it was a promotion or lateral move. When I forced the questions after several months of talks, I was told to look for a new job if I believe I am worth more. I left the first 3 weeks later after receiving offers from all their top competitors.

I believe that was a unique situation and a result of one individual who has been with the firm for years, did not get the C-Level position he deserved, he did not grow as the firm grew and thus the firm out-grew him. When I announced why I was leaving the CFO, CAO, and Deputy General Counsel (all of whom I worked for) personally apologized for the gentlemen's behavior. I would go back to Clark if the opportunity was right. Loved it there.

Office Engineer

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Clark Construction Group.

Interview Details – The interview lasted 4 hours. I got to meet many professionals each in a one-on-one format. There was no meal offered during the interview, which made things a little less nerve-wracking. There were mostly behavioral type questions, and we talked about my previous experience. They called the next week to offer employment. They are a great group of professionals working for an amazing company.

Interview Question – They asked if I had taken any LEED certification exams.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst
Bethesda, MD

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Clark Construction Group in March 2014.

Interview Details – First I had a phone interview with the director of risk management. It was very straight forward, basic questions about yourself and experience and then he gave a run down of the position. A week later I went in for an in-person interview with the risk management team which consisted of 4 individuals. The building itself is very nice but felt like a maze. Seems like its easy to get lost in there. I should also mention it was very quiet. Everyone was very nice and professional.
The interview process started with the VP of risk management and another manager. First I was given a chance to introduce myself and moved on some q&a. I thought the 2 individuals were very professional and attentive when I was talking. The questions asked were straightforward and nothing complicated. Next I met with another director who was extremely nice. Talking to all these people felt like I was talking to friends. I then met with who would be my boss (another director). This gentleman came across as very smart and definitely knew his stuff. He explained the job and I gave my input on what I thought about it. He didn't ask many questions. He did alot of talking which was fine with me as it gave me a chance to really understand the position and his expectation. Lastly I met with one of the top executives at Clark. I wasn't expecting to meet with anyone in the higher up. But I thought if she's as nice as the rest of the people I've met so far, I should ok. My interview with her started off well. It was a basic run down of my resume. She pretty much asked me questions about my previous positions, what I did, what I accomplished, how I accomplished and how I think all that experience would translate at Clark. That part went well as expected.
Overall my interview experience at Clark was extremely nice. Everyone I met and spoke with was very professional and nice. I was positive I'd get the job according to my recruiter but unfortunately they went with an internal candidate.

Interview Question – No difficult questions. Every question was pretty standard   Answer Question

Project Engineer Interview

Project Engineer
Bethesda, MD

I applied through other source and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Clark Construction Group in January 2014.

Interview Details – The process started off with myself and 9 other candidates gathering in a conference room where we were given 5 minutes to interview the individual across from you. After the time was up you were asked to give the hr represents an oral rundown of the information you received. Afterwards the group was separated into separate offices and conference rooms throughout the building where you sat through 2 one on one 45 minute interviews with individuals who have been employed with the company for more than a year. The next step was visiting an active job site where you were given a tour of the site and then asked to interview with someone on the site management team which again lasted about 45 minutes. After the site we were brought back to the office and the original conference room and asked to fill out paper work. Once you completed the paper work you were brought into the companies open house, this is apparently not typical, where you met and spoke with someone from a different division of the company. There was a brake in the middle of this period and we were asked to go into a lecture hall where we heard from a number of Clark employees about their time and experiences at the company. Once this discussion panel was concluded we were asked to go back to the open house and continue talking to the divisions and employees who were there until the event ended at 5pm.

I would say their hiring process is unprofessional. I received and offer below the industry average and asked if the starting salary could be increased. I was told they would discuss and get back to me in a few days. Instead they cut off all further communication by not returning my follow up phone calls and emails. I was also never reimbursed for my out of state travel expense for the interview.

Interview Question – I did not find any question to be difficult nor were there any unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The starting salary offered was below the industry average.

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Clark Construction Group.

Interview Details – Be enthusiastic, ask tons of questions when on-site

Interview Question – None really that difficult   Answer Question

Entry Level Engineer Interview

Entry Level Engineer
Bethesda, MD

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Clark Construction Group in January 2014.

Interview Details – I had a connection through a friend with a VP in the company. I had an initial meet and greet with the VP and after getting the ok he set up a day for me to go to the main office in Bethesda and interview. Initially the interview was supposed to be with 1 Engineer and the HR guy, but after arriving 2 more Engineers were added. I interviewed with a total of 4 people, all separately and each lasted around 30 minutes. All the interviews seemed to go smoothly, they gave a lot of time for me to ask questions and they only inquired about my previous Engineering work. Everyone was great to talk with, only the HR guy seemed a little disinterested and not totally involved in the interview. He took a couple phone calls during the interview. After the interviews, I went out to lunch with 3 pretty new Engineers on the companies dime. We all just chatted for about an hour before going back to the office. At that time they said they would be in touch. I followed up a few days later with my connection by email and he called me and gave me feedback directly. A great smooth process, 4 interviews all in a row was a bit much but besides that, all was good and professional.

Interview Question – Do you regret your past career choices?   Answer Question

Long Beach, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Clark Construction Group in December 2013.

Interview Details – company and job site visit on Thursday afternoon, talked to 5 directors in a row on Friday morning

Interview Question – What value can you bring? (asked to a student)
How do we solve the BIM execution problem in our company? (provided background)
  Answer Question

Office Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Clark Construction Group.

Interview Details – Sent in resume via university alumni who works there. Was contacted only a few days later for a day-long interview. Interview was with ten other candidates and consisted of a site tour and six interviews, mostly with young people in the Office Engineer position.

Interview Question – How would you deal with a subcontractor that had 30 years of experience in the field and didn't want to listen to anything you wanted to say?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Have not actually declined at this point. Offer has been received and still making decision.

Engineer Interview

Engineer

Interviewed at Clark Construction Group

Interview Details – first met representatives at a career fair that was held by my university. then got a interview with the person met at the carer fair and another person from human resources. they asked me the most basic interview questions, was very fluid, like a long conversation. very friendly and understanding.

Interview Question – why Clark?   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Clark Construction Group.

Interview Details – Entry level engineers typically go through a 1 or 2 day long interview process that involves talking with upper level executives, HR as well as peers and mid-level management within the company.

Negotiation Details – Fair

Interviews for Top Jobs at Clark Construction Group

Worked for Clark Construction Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Clark Construction Group interview questions and advice. All 26 interview reviews posted anonymously by Clark Construction Group employees and interview candidates.