Clark Construction Group

Average Difficulty
13 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Bethesda, MD

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Clark Construction Group.

Interview Details – The college recruiting process was very engaging. If the position was for a job site, the engineering background if very important. If it was for an office position in finance, the development group, or legal, recruiters wanted very intelligent college candidate with some background to real estate, construction, finance, etc.

Interview Question – Explaining why Clark will add to my career, and I can add to the organization, when my educational background did not fit the typical mold. I was not an engineer and had to sell myself from several different perspectives   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Clark refused to negotiate the campus hire offer.

However, 3 years later when i was offered what was a phenomenal position for the business and industry, which required me to me half way across the country for 5 years, the negotiation process was not an open and communicative process. It was very stressful. I was not provided basic terms about the position or even if it was a promotion or lateral move. When I forced the questions after several months of talks, I was told to look for a new job if I believe I am worth more. I left the first 3 weeks later after receiving offers from all their top competitors.

I believe that was a unique situation and a result of one individual who has been with the firm for years, did not get the C-Level position he deserved, he did not grow as the firm grew and thus the firm out-grew him. When I announced why I was leaving the CFO, CAO, and Deputy General Counsel (all of whom I worked for) personally apologized for the gentlemen's behavior. I would go back to Clark if the opportunity was right. Loved it there.

Office Engineer

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Clark Construction Group.

Interview Details – The interview lasted 4 hours. I got to meet many professionals each in a one-on-one format. There was no meal offered during the interview, which made things a little less nerve-wracking. There were mostly behavioral type questions, and we talked about my previous experience. They called the next week to offer employment. They are a great group of professionals working for an amazing company.

Interview Question – They asked if I had taken any LEED certification exams.   Answer Question

Long Beach, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Clark Construction Group in December 2013.

Interview Details – company and job site visit on Thursday afternoon, talked to 5 directors in a row on Friday morning

Interview Question – What value can you bring? (asked to a student)
How do we solve the BIM execution problem in our company? (provided background)
  Answer Question

Office Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Clark Construction Group.

Interview Details – Sent in resume via university alumni who works there. Was contacted only a few days later for a day-long interview. Interview was with ten other candidates and consisted of a site tour and six interviews, mostly with young people in the Office Engineer position.

Interview Question – How would you deal with a subcontractor that had 30 years of experience in the field and didn't want to listen to anything you wanted to say?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Have not actually declined at this point. Offer has been received and still making decision.

Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Clark Construction Group.

Interview Details – Entry level engineers typically go through a 1 or 2 day long interview process that involves talking with upper level executives, HR as well as peers and mid-level management within the company.

Negotiation Details – Fair

Costa Mesa, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Clark Construction Group in March 2010.

Interview Details – Clark flew me to Costa Mesa on a Thursday evening and put me in a nearby hotel. I met with several other recruits and Clark's Human Resources representative and visited a project. The next morning I met with the other recruits again at Clark's office for interviews. It was a round robin style interview and I met with seven Clark employees ranging from a second-year employee to a Vice President. Each interview was about a half hour long.

Interview Question – A penguin walks through that door right now wearing a sombrero. What does he say and why is he here?   View Answers (66)

Negotiation Details – There wasn't much in terms of negotiation. I received a letter in the mail a couple weeks after the interview that provided details of my offer. When I counter-offered, I was told that would not be possible.

Bethesda, MD

The process took a day - interviewed at Clark Construction Group in January 2011.

Interview Details – Submitted a resume online and a few weeks later was called about flying to DC to interview at HQ. Flew in and out in the same day (very long day). Interviewed with three executives in the division hiring for about a half hour each and finished with a half hour with the VP of HR.

Questions about previous experience and activities.

Was offered a position verbally day of the interview and the next day the details of salary and benefits was sent to me.

Interview Question – Why should we hire you without construction experience?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Non-negotiable. DC is very expensive so try to get as much as you can but keep in mind lots of other people probably will take what you were offered so it probably won't happen.

Washington, DC

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Clark Construction Group in December 2011.

Interview Details – An HR representative came to campus and interview many candidates in a 1 on 1 format. After that it took about a month to hear back from HR if I was invited to a second round interview. I then got the good news of being invited to DC for a 2nd rounder and scheduled it for 3 weeks later. They were very flexible in terms of the travel plans. I am from the region and was able to schedule my interview right before thanksgiving and schedule my return flight for after thanksgiving. This afforded me the opportunity to come home for the holidays. I then found out a week and a half later about my offer and expressed gratitude. I waited a week to discuss specifics of the offer and ran the numbers. I then negotiated a higher singing bonus but the salary did not move.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – I had a better offer from a different company in terms of job description, compensation, bonus opportunities, stock purchasing options, 401k matching contributions, and much better health benefits.

Very Difficult Interview

Oakland, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Clark Construction Group in November 2009.

Interview Details – The overall interview process was positive. My initial interview happened after a referral at an industry event which resulted in a 3 hour dinner with a Project Manager. After the dinner, I later interviewed with the human resource department, who then lined up an entire day of interviews at the headquarters in Washington DC. After the interview process, the communications between myself and HR went cold and I didn't hear anything back. I then utilized my initial connections to get HR's attention to issue an offer for the position.

Interview Question – How will your line of study be of value to the company in the field? What would you say to someone if they didn't want you working for them because of your line of study?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – At the time I received the offer, leverage to negotiate was very slim due to the economy. However, I feel I received a fair offer due to the fact that I had an exact same offer from a competitor.

Bethesda, MD

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Clark Construction Group in January 2010.

Interview Details – After submitting my resume I was contacted by the HR department who set up a day of interviewing. They put me up in a hotel across the street which was nice considering I was only coming from 2.5 hours away. In the morning there was a brief overview at headquarters and then I was taken to a job site for the day by metro.

I was shown around the job site(seriously, a suit isn't necessary and you'll be better off without nice shoes) by a current office engineer for the remainder of the morning which was interesting. I ate lunch with a few of the younger people on site and after lunch I interviewed with the project manager on site.

The people were very nice, but it seemed like a very mediocre kind of place.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Clark Construction Group

Worked for Clark Construction Group? Contribute to the Community!