Clark Construction Group

Clark Construction Group Interview Questions in Washington, DC

Updated Feb 7, 2015

2.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Clark Construction Group (Bethesda, MD) in November 2014.

Interview

I applied on Clark's website & my college's job posting website. I got an e-mail to sign up for on-site interview. It was easy; a couple hours of 20-min interviews with employees only a few years older usually. Basic questions about why I want to work in construction, why I chose my major, why I chose my school, possibly a couple behavioral questions were asked.

Afterwards, I went on a job site tour and got to talk to some on-site employees.

Interview Questions

• Asked about other companies I was considering for full-time (was just a curious interviewer, I'm sure)   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Clark Construction Group (Bethesda, MD) in October 2014.

Interview

Wonderful experience getting to know Clark Construction. I met them at a career fair. They followed up with setting up a phone interview. At the end of the phone interview they invited me down for an in-person full day interview at their Bethesda, MD offices. There, I spoke with numerous Clark personnel about the job, and went on a site visit to see a Clark project in action. It was a great, mostly laid back process where Clark could get to know you, and vice versa.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your relevant experience, and how it has made you ready for this job.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Clark Construction Group (Bethesda, MD) in October 2014.

Interview

In my experience with them, there were two rounds of interviews for the Office Engineer position. After stopping at their table at the career fair, they invited me to come interview with them on campus the next day. Within two weeks, they invited me to come up to their headquarters in Bethesda. They day at Bethesda was split into two portions; interviewing in the morning and a construction site tour in the afternoon with lunch in between.

The interview questions were all behavioral ie. why construction, why Clark

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself 10 years down the road from now?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Clark Construction Group (Bethesda, MD).

Interview

The college recruiting process was very engaging. If the position was for a job site, the engineering background if very important. If it was for an office position in finance, the development group, or legal, recruiters wanted very intelligent college candidate with some background to real estate, construction, finance, etc.

Interview Questions

• Explaining why Clark will add to my career, and I can add to the organization, when my educational background did not fit the typical mold. I was not an engineer and had to sell myself from several different perspectives   Answer Question

Negotiation

Clark refused to negotiate the campus hire offer.

However, 3 years later when i was offered what was a phenomenal position for the business and industry, which required me to me half way across the country for 5 years, the negotiation process was not an open and communicative process. It was very stressful. I was not provided basic terms about the position or even if it was a promotion or lateral move. When I forced the questions after several months of talks, I was told to look for a new job if I believe I am worth more. I left the first 3 weeks later after receiving offers from all their top competitors.

I believe that was a unique situation and a result of one individual who has been with the firm for years, did not get the C-Level position he deserved, he did not grow as the firm grew and thus the firm out-grew him. When I announced why I was leaving the CFO, CAO, and Deputy General Counsel (all of whom I worked for) personally apologized for the gentlemen's behavior. I would go back to Clark if the opportunity was right. Loved it there.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Clark Construction Group (Bethesda, MD) in March 2014.

Interview

First I had a phone interview with the director of risk management. It was very straight forward, basic questions about yourself and experience and then he gave a run down of the position. A week later I went in for an in-person interview with the risk management team which consisted of 4 individuals. The building itself is very nice but felt like a maze. Seems like its easy to get lost in there. I should also mention it was very quiet. Everyone was very nice and professional.
    The interview process started with the VP of risk management and another manager. First I was given a chance to introduce myself and moved on some q&a. I thought the 2 individuals were very professional and attentive when I was talking. The questions asked were straightforward and nothing complicated. Next I met with another director who was extremely nice. Talking to all these people felt like I was talking to friends. I then met with who would be my boss (another director). This gentleman came across as very smart and definitely knew his stuff. He explained the job and I gave my input on what I thought about it. He didn't ask many questions. He did alot of talking which was fine with me as it gave me a chance to really understand the position and his expectation. Lastly I met with one of the top executives at Clark. I wasn't expecting to meet with anyone in the higher up. But I thought if she's as nice as the rest of the people I've met so far, I should ok. My interview with her started off well. It was a basic run down of my resume. She pretty much asked me questions about my previous positions, what I did, what I accomplished, how I accomplished and how I think all that experience would translate at Clark. That part went well as expected.
    Overall my interview experience at Clark was extremely nice. Everyone I met and spoke with was very professional and nice. I was positive I'd get the job according to my recruiter but unfortunately they went with an internal candidate.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions. Every question was pretty standard   Answer Question

Entry Level Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Clark Construction Group (Bethesda, MD) in January 2014.

Interview

I had a connection through a friend with a VP in the company. I had an initial meet and greet with the VP and after getting the ok he set up a day for me to go to the main office in Bethesda and interview. Initially the interview was supposed to be with 1 Engineer and the HR guy, but after arriving 2 more Engineers were added. I interviewed with a total of 4 people, all separately and each lasted around 30 minutes. All the interviews seemed to go smoothly, they gave a lot of time for me to ask questions and they only inquired about my previous Engineering work. Everyone was great to talk with, only the HR guy seemed a little disinterested and not totally involved in the interview. He took a couple phone calls during the interview. After the interviews, I went out to lunch with 3 pretty new Engineers on the companies dime. We all just chatted for about an hour before going back to the office. At that time they said they would be in touch. I followed up a few days later with my connection by email and he called me and gave me feedback directly. A great smooth process, 4 interviews all in a row was a bit much but besides that, all was good and professional.

Project Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Clark Construction Group (Bethesda, MD) in January 2014.

Interview

The process started off with myself and 9 other candidates gathering in a conference room where we were given 5 minutes to interview the individual across from you. After the time was up you were asked to give the hr represents an oral rundown of the information you received. Afterwards the group was separated into separate offices and conference rooms throughout the building where you sat through 2 one on one 45 minute interviews with individuals who have been employed with the company for more than a year. The next step was visiting an active job site where you were given a tour of the site and then asked to interview with someone on the site management team which again lasted about 45 minutes. After the site we were brought back to the office and the original conference room and asked to fill out paper work. Once you completed the paper work you were brought into the companies open house, this is apparently not typical, where you met and spoke with someone from a different division of the company. There was a brake in the middle of this period and we were asked to go into a lecture hall where we heard from a number of Clark employees about their time and experiences at the company. Once this discussion panel was concluded we were asked to go back to the open house and continue talking to the divisions and employees who were there until the event ended at 5pm.

I would say their hiring process is unprofessional. I received and offer below the industry average and asked if the starting salary could be increased. I was told they would discuss and get back to me in a few days. Instead they cut off all further communication by not returning my follow up phone calls and emails. I was also never reimbursed for my out of state travel expense for the interview.

Interview Questions

• I did not find any question to be difficult nor were there any unexpected questions.   Answer Question

The starting salary offered was below the industry average.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Clark Construction Group (Washington, DC) in October 2013.

Interview

I had an on campus interview and an on site interview consisting of mostly behavioral questions. We toured a job site, had a few interviews in the trailer offices, had lunch with the VP and other candidates, then had several interviews with people in the DC office.

Interview Questions

• What was a time when you had to deal with a difficult member of a group?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Clark Construction Group (Washington, DC).

Interview

Entry level engineers typically go through a 1 or 2 day long interview process that involves talking with upper level executives, HR as well as peers and mid-level management within the company.

Negotiation

Fair

Project Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Clark Construction Group (Bethesda, MD) in December 2012.

Interview

While some people had on campus interviews after the career fair they skipped that step with me. They flew me to DC and put me up for the night. I met with HR to do and application in the morning, they then had me go to a job site to interview face to face with several project managers, I met with 2 that day but I know other people who met with 3 or 4 and they were supposed to have more people for me to meet with. After I went back to the office and meet with an HR person for a behavioral interview and another HR person to discuss their benefits package. Overall the process was a little disorganized and rushed.