Clark Construction Group

Average Difficulty
11 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Bethesda, MD

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Clark Construction Group.

Interview Details – The college recruiting process was very engaging. If the position was for a job site, the engineering background if very important. If it was for an office position in finance, the development group, or legal, recruiters wanted very intelligent college candidate with some background to real estate, construction, finance, etc.

Interview Question – Explaining why Clark will add to my career, and I can add to the organization, when my educational background did not fit the typical mold. I was not an engineer and had to sell myself from several different perspectives   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Clark refused to negotiate the campus hire offer.

However, 3 years later when i was offered what was a phenomenal position for the business and industry, which required me to me half way across the country for 5 years, the negotiation process was not an open and communicative process. It was very stressful. I was not provided basic terms about the position or even if it was a promotion or lateral move. When I forced the questions after several months of talks, I was told to look for a new job if I believe I am worth more. I left the first 3 weeks later after receiving offers from all their top competitors.

I believe that was a unique situation and a result of one individual who has been with the firm for years, did not get the C-Level position he deserved, he did not grow as the firm grew and thus the firm out-grew him. When I announced why I was leaving the CFO, CAO, and Deputy General Counsel (all of whom I worked for) personally apologized for the gentlemen's behavior. I would go back to Clark if the opportunity was right. Loved it there.

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst
Bethesda, MD

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Clark Construction Group in March 2014.

Interview Details – First I had a phone interview with the director of risk management. It was very straight forward, basic questions about yourself and experience and then he gave a run down of the position. A week later I went in for an in-person interview with the risk management team which consisted of 4 individuals. The building itself is very nice but felt like a maze. Seems like its easy to get lost in there. I should also mention it was very quiet. Everyone was very nice and professional.
The interview process started with the VP of risk management and another manager. First I was given a chance to introduce myself and moved on some q&a. I thought the 2 individuals were very professional and attentive when I was talking. The questions asked were straightforward and nothing complicated. Next I met with another director who was extremely nice. Talking to all these people felt like I was talking to friends. I then met with who would be my boss (another director). This gentleman came across as very smart and definitely knew his stuff. He explained the job and I gave my input on what I thought about it. He didn't ask many questions. He did alot of talking which was fine with me as it gave me a chance to really understand the position and his expectation. Lastly I met with one of the top executives at Clark. I wasn't expecting to meet with anyone in the higher up. But I thought if she's as nice as the rest of the people I've met so far, I should ok. My interview with her started off well. It was a basic run down of my resume. She pretty much asked me questions about my previous positions, what I did, what I accomplished, how I accomplished and how I think all that experience would translate at Clark. That part went well as expected.
Overall my interview experience at Clark was extremely nice. Everyone I met and spoke with was very professional and nice. I was positive I'd get the job according to my recruiter but unfortunately they went with an internal candidate.

Interview Question – No difficult questions. Every question was pretty standard   Answer Question

Project Engineer Interview

Project Engineer
Bethesda, MD

I applied through other source and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Clark Construction Group in January 2014.

Interview Details – The process started off with myself and 9 other candidates gathering in a conference room where we were given 5 minutes to interview the individual across from you. After the time was up you were asked to give the hr represents an oral rundown of the information you received. Afterwards the group was separated into separate offices and conference rooms throughout the building where you sat through 2 one on one 45 minute interviews with individuals who have been employed with the company for more than a year. The next step was visiting an active job site where you were given a tour of the site and then asked to interview with someone on the site management team which again lasted about 45 minutes. After the site we were brought back to the office and the original conference room and asked to fill out paper work. Once you completed the paper work you were brought into the companies open house, this is apparently not typical, where you met and spoke with someone from a different division of the company. There was a brake in the middle of this period and we were asked to go into a lecture hall where we heard from a number of Clark employees about their time and experiences at the company. Once this discussion panel was concluded we were asked to go back to the open house and continue talking to the divisions and employees who were there until the event ended at 5pm.

I would say their hiring process is unprofessional. I received and offer below the industry average and asked if the starting salary could be increased. I was told they would discuss and get back to me in a few days. Instead they cut off all further communication by not returning my follow up phone calls and emails. I was also never reimbursed for my out of state travel expense for the interview.

Interview Question – I did not find any question to be difficult nor were there any unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The starting salary offered was below the industry average.

Entry Level Engineer Interview

Entry Level Engineer
Bethesda, MD

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Clark Construction Group in January 2014.

Interview Details – I had a connection through a friend with a VP in the company. I had an initial meet and greet with the VP and after getting the ok he set up a day for me to go to the main office in Bethesda and interview. Initially the interview was supposed to be with 1 Engineer and the HR guy, but after arriving 2 more Engineers were added. I interviewed with a total of 4 people, all separately and each lasted around 30 minutes. All the interviews seemed to go smoothly, they gave a lot of time for me to ask questions and they only inquired about my previous Engineering work. Everyone was great to talk with, only the HR guy seemed a little disinterested and not totally involved in the interview. He took a couple phone calls during the interview. After the interviews, I went out to lunch with 3 pretty new Engineers on the companies dime. We all just chatted for about an hour before going back to the office. At that time they said they would be in touch. I followed up a few days later with my connection by email and he called me and gave me feedback directly. A great smooth process, 4 interviews all in a row was a bit much but besides that, all was good and professional.

Interview Question – Do you regret your past career choices?   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Clark Construction Group.

Interview Details – Entry level engineers typically go through a 1 or 2 day long interview process that involves talking with upper level executives, HR as well as peers and mid-level management within the company.

Negotiation Details – Fair

Very Easy Interview

Project Accountant Interview

Project Accountant
Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Clark Construction Group in August 2012.

Interview Details – The hiring and interview process was fine. I did not find anything too crazy about it, in fact it was kind of fun to go through this.

Interview Question – What is your greatest weakness?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation was needed. They made me a good offer.

Project Engineer Interview

Project Engineer
Bethesda, MD

I applied through college or university and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Clark Construction Group in December 2012.

Interview Details – While some people had on campus interviews after the career fair they skipped that step with me. They flew me to DC and put me up for the night. I met with HR to do and application in the morning, they then had me go to a job site to interview face to face with several project managers, I met with 2 that day but I know other people who met with 3 or 4 and they were supposed to have more people for me to meet with. After I went back to the office and meet with an HR person for a behavioral interview and another HR person to discuss their benefits package. Overall the process was a little disorganized and rushed.

Interview Question – How do you build a building?   Answer Question

Entry Level Engineer Position Interview

Entry Level Engineer Position
Bethesda, MD

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Clark Construction Group in December 2011.

Interview Details – There was a one on one interview at my university with an HR representative of the company after I met them at a career fair.

After that interview they invited me to the Bethesda Office for a formal interview. There I interviewed with three different people all one on one. The questions asked related to my interests in the construction industry and they asked basic question about why I think I would fit in with their company.

Interview Questions

• What are your interests in Clark and what can you tell us about our company?   Answer Question
  • How has your college experience prepared you for your career? How are you going to make a contribution to our company?   Answer Question

Bethesda, MD

The process took a day - interviewed at Clark Construction Group in January 2011.

Interview Details – Submitted a resume online and a few weeks later was called about flying to DC to interview at HQ. Flew in and out in the same day (very long day). Interviewed with three executives in the division hiring for about a half hour each and finished with a half hour with the VP of HR.

Questions about previous experience and activities.

Was offered a position verbally day of the interview and the next day the details of salary and benefits was sent to me.

Interview Question – Why should we hire you without construction experience?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Non-negotiable. DC is very expensive so try to get as much as you can but keep in mind lots of other people probably will take what you were offered so it probably won't happen.

Washington, DC

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Clark Construction Group in December 2011.

Interview Details – An HR representative came to campus and interview many candidates in a 1 on 1 format. After that it took about a month to hear back from HR if I was invited to a second round interview. I then got the good news of being invited to DC for a 2nd rounder and scheduled it for 3 weeks later. They were very flexible in terms of the travel plans. I am from the region and was able to schedule my interview right before thanksgiving and schedule my return flight for after thanksgiving. This afforded me the opportunity to come home for the holidays. I then found out a week and a half later about my offer and expressed gratitude. I waited a week to discuss specifics of the offer and ran the numbers. I then negotiated a higher singing bonus but the salary did not move.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – I had a better offer from a different company in terms of job description, compensation, bonus opportunities, stock purchasing options, 401k matching contributions, and much better health benefits.

Worked for Clark Construction Group? Contribute to the Community!